Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Open discussion: topic = Dahlonega gold coins

Let's hear it from all you Dahlonega fans........
Open discussion.

Comments

• Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    One of the biggest Dahlonega fans on the boards is on vacation! But he would love to bend your ear on the subject any time you like!
  • Options
    Give me all your Dahlonega gold coins. image Well its an open discussion that includes begging for gold.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In his honor, I will post a coin that formerly belonged to "Dahlonega":

imageimage
  • Options
    Actually, here is some important news for Dahlonega gold coin collectors, lifted from Doug Winter's enewsletter:

"If there's such thing as a bad side to a good coin market it's the fact that when I'm this busy, my writing projects tend to get put on the back burner. After a number of delays, I am happy to announce that the completely revised 2003 edition of Gold Coins of the Dahlonega Mint, 1838-1861 is available.

This book contains lots of new data on rarity, varieties and auction prices. Without being self-serving, I can tell you that if you collect Dahlonega gold you really need this new information. My 1997 book on Dahlonega is out-of-date and the new book will provide you with current information that should prove very important as you make buying and selling decisions.

The book is 237 pages and is being offered only in a hardcover version. The expected delivery date from the publisher is late July/early August. The suggested retail price is $34.95. You can order copies through me or through the publisher Zyrus Press. They can be reached at PO Box 17810 Irvine Ca. 92623 or by phone at (888) 622-7823."
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I may very well be the newest of Dahlonega gold collectors. Bought my first Dahlonega Sunday 1852-D Half Eagle. I've been told that less than 10,000 Dahlonega gold coins survive today. That is all dates and types combined. Many of these surviving coins have been harshly cleaned. Nice original problem free coins are tough to find.

I live about 45 miles from Dahlonega GA. It is a very small mountian community with very little to offer except for its rich history of gold. It is the site of the first Gold Rush in the US. There is a neat museum in the old court house where you will find the North Georgia College Collection. Every date and type is represented, but unfortunatly most have been cleaned. You will also find Gold Rush Gallery on the square. They always inventory some great pieces of Dahlonega Gold.

The mint building no longer exists, however, the North Georgia College's Admin Building was built on Mint's original foundation.

If anyone is ever in the Atlanta area it is worth the 60 mile trip. Or give me a PM and I'll meet you and give you a tour. Figure 6 hours.
    Oh...here's my new Dahlonega
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    For those who just love history and coins:

imageimage
  • Options
    Nice pictures of coins guys. Especially those 1861-D coins. I am looking forward to Doug Winter's new book on Dahlonega coins. I am curious as to his revised population estimates and comments as to die varieties.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Here's my 1852-D half eagle. It was given to my by my wife who bought it raw. I am surprised that it graded so high. I guess Dahlonega had problems striking as nice as their northern brothers.

By the way, I'm going to visit the Dahlonega mint next month when I go on vacation to Georgia. Any board members in Georgia? Any recommendations on what to do there?

Tom

Tom

• Options
    tj,
    Check out www.dahlonega.org website. Lots of information there.
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RKY

Do you have anything more current on the number of variety 1 and 2 1845 Half Eagles:
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Tom

PM Sent
  • Options
    PMH,

Nothing new here. I hope that Doug expounds on the point in his upcoming book. Thus far, it is not truly a collectible variety amongst Dahlonega collectors, at least not to my knowledge.

Here is my own (Type 2):

• Options
    pmh,

Bowers had an 1845-D type 2 half eagle in their Smith/Youngman sale a few months back. I haven't seen too many others around.
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Dahlonega gold collectors. I have been working on a 9-piece Dahlonega type for 6 years now. I still have a coin to go--1839 quarter eagle. Here is what I have picked-up so far.
    All are graded AU55 and encapsulated by PCGS except for the 54 three which is AU50(has a great strike for an 1854-D $3
    Special thanks to Jack Hanc@ck and Doug Winter for their help
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrcommem

A very nice group of Dahlonega gold.

stevewonder

Do you happen to remember the grade on the coin offered in the B&M sale?
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Rob,

Very nice "D" type set! I especially like the 54-D $3! Nice photo of all of them, too. DW recently had a 39-D $5 for sale. I will bet thatb they do not come around very often, and they seem to turn up far less frequently than the 38-D $5. Good luck in finding one...and if you find two....

Robert
  • Options
    Just got back in town and started lurking and I couldn't believe my eyes! Mr Commem super type set nice and crusty surfaces also thanks for letting this computer challenged Dahlonega collector borrow your icon . I have never seen this many new collectors with as nice unimpaired Dahlonega coins almost always newer collectors end up with shiny pretty coins but wow...will try and get Frank to help me post some items of interest. I think I have an example of the 1845-D $5 varieties that we could try and post.
    Collect for enjoyment
  • Options
    Just got back in town and started lurking and I couldn't believe my eyes! Mr Commem super type set nice and crusty surfaces also thanks for letting this computer challenged Dahlonega collector borrow your icon . I have never seen this many new collectors with as nice unimpaired Dahlonega coins almost always newer collectors end up with shiny pretty coins but wow...will try and get Frank to help me post some items of interest. I think I have an example of the 1845-D $5 varieties that we could try and post.
    Collect for enjoyment
  • Options
    Collect for enjoyment
  • Options
    Obviously very computer challenged
    Collect for enjoyment
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    DW had two 1839-D half eagles. I bought one of them, but I haven't scanned it yet or added it to the photo of the others. It also is in AU55. I had been looking for one in AU55 for quite a while now. Most have been too beat-up or scratched for me to consider. I will see if I can get a respectable scan or photo to post.
  • Options
    pmh,

The 1845-D half eagle (type 2) in Bowers Smith/Youngman sale was lot #2328, listed as EF-40, price realized was $1,610.00 .
  • Options
  • Options
    Came across this website a while back.

http://www.dahlonegagold.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file