Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Giving Away Old Copies of 'The Numismatist'

nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
We have LOTS of old issues of The Numismatist from the 1940s thru 1960s. If anyone would be interested in a copy from their birth month and year, let me know and if we have it we'll send it to you. They're taking up way too much space in our already cluttered office here, and it might be cool to own a copy from your birthdate. We opened up one randomly the other day and it happened to be the issue announcing Pittman's acceptance as a Life Member to the ANA! Please send your request via PM only, and no dealers please (at least until all the collectors requests have been filled).

chris

Northeast Numismatics

p.s. sorry for the blank post!!!

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave at the officeimage
  • Options
    Bump. Just want to be sure everyone who might be interested in these gets a chance to see the thread. We've got plenty of issues, so even if you don't have a birthday during those decades, but would like a particular year for whatever reason, just let me know (via PM).

chris
  • Options
    I was born in 1982. You have more recent ones?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    PM sent! Very nice offer.
    Joe
  • Options
    Cameron,

I don't believe we have any issues more current than the 60's....however, once we've accomodated all of the birthday requests, if there's a particular year(s) you might like an issue from during the decades we have available, I'd be happy to send it to you. For example, I admittedly swiped the June 1944 issue the other week for myself. Sort of a neat piece of memorabilia from the WWII era (D-Day, and all that).

chris
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    PM sent. Thanks!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    TTT
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM sent

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A public thank you to Chris Clements and Northeast Numismatics, the August 1958 issue of The Numismatist arrived in today's mail. Thanks Chris.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    A BIG thank you to Chris. He sent me a copy of my birthdate and my wife's too,they were in like new condition. They are really neat and it was interesting to see what was happening in the hobby in the 50s. this guy and the company are a real class act. image

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've PM'd Chris directly, but would like to add my public thanks too. Of particular note, the birth month issue of The Numismatist sent me included a photo of Pittman and George Walton together at the ANA Convention. Were Walton and Pittman discussing the 1913 Liberty nickels that include the now missing 5th 1913 Liberty Nickel that has been the subject of so much speculation? I belive Laura of Legend reported that one of the owners of the set will be at this year's ANA convention. Could that possibly be Walton or was Walton the individual in the infamous car wreck?
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    PM sent.
  • Options
    PM sent!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    OK , I did a little checking to answer my own question posed above regarding George Walton. Yes, he indeed was the coin dealer killed in the infamous car crash in North Carolina in 1962. Eric Newman on the other hand is the once owner of all 5 who I understand plans to be at this year's ANA convention. Others who have had their hands on one or more of the coins include mint employee Samuel Brown (who probably had something to do with their removal from the mint and surfacing after the statue of limitations ran) and Max Mehl. Conway Bolt apparently had the missing 5th nickel in 1941 and he reportedly traded to a "Reynolds" who in turn allegedly got it into the hands of George Walton by some type of further trade. What Walton did with it is conjecture. Some believe he traded or sold it and then used a copy for bragging purposes thereafer.

Interestingly, the ANA convention featured in the October 1948 Numismatist shows Walton and Pittman together. Who knows, perhaps the photographer snapped his candid shot as Pittman was being slipped the genuine 1913 Liberty nickel from Walton? In the picture they are shoulder to shoulder but the hands are cropped out of sight!

A further thought - can you imagine Pittman not trying to acquire the coin form Walton given the other coins Pittman collected?
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM sent.image

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Recieved mine from 1943 - not my birth year (1966) but I now have a copy of the Numismatist in each decade 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's. It's really cool to look at the prices in these old ads (like a 1796 No Stars Quarter Eagle in VF for $160!!!) Ah, if only Grandpa had an interest in coins and the foresight not to sell them.

Thanks again NEN!
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Hmm, I was born in 1979, so I don't suppose you have any from that year. Let us know when you're opening up requests for everyone!
  • Options
    Hi Robert,

If you have a request, by all means let me know. The birthday requests had dried up the other week and so I've been sending issues out to anyone who cares to take a gander at some old numismatic literature. It didn't dawn on me that this thread would make it back to the front page, so I apologize to the folks who are just now making birthday requests and are not getting them filled. Keep 'em coming (via PM), and I'll certainly accomodate if I can. Second (or third) choices would be appreciated, in case I don't have the issue you want.

Regards,

Chris
  • Options
    Hi Chris thanks for the offer, how about May 1961? Will you be at the ANA?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    PM sent.
    Roy

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    PM sent!
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    I've posted the above referenced photo of Walton slipping the 1913 Liberty Nickel to Pittman in exchange for a pledge of secrecy as to its new ownership. It is over on the second page of the thread titled "Lost 1913 Liberty Nickel ..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file