Home U.S. Coin Forum

Registry Set Builders-How Do YOU Do IT?

I'm embarking on a new project. I'm building a Buffalo Nickel set consisting of all dates and mintmarks from 1930 through 1938. The 35 DD and 36-D 3 1/2 leg will be excluded. Upon completion, the set will include 17 coins with an average grade of MS65, all certified.

Since purchasing a new home, I have a few new constraints. I'm limiting my cash outlay for a single coin to $400 (except for the '37-D 3 leg of course). Dealers with lay-away plans are also beneficial.

So,given my current situation, do any of you Registry set builders have any tips, contacts, favorite dealers that can help me out? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Mojo
"I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
-Jim Morrison-
Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com

Comments

• David Lawrence has probably the most bang for the buck. Try the website frequently.image
  • BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    I would recommend Andy from Angel Dees, but after seeing their Buffalo inventory at the TNA show, they may be over your budget. Lots of MS67s and PQ 66's.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • BTW, You Ain't gonna get a 34D MS65 for $400.00!!image
  • BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    You can also find some good stuff in this range in the weekly Heritage Internet auctions. The return fee is only 5% so not too much risk, and I have found some nice PQ stuff by being selective.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    I've already got the '34-D in PCGS MS64 jonesy. I've got several dates I'm looking at in MS66 and 1 in MS67. If I pick up the '37-D 3 leg in nothing less than AU58 I should still be able to hit my average MS65 for the set.image

Mojo
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

• Good Luck mojorizn!! imageimage
  • RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    I'll second that Andy at Angel Dee's is a great person to contact. Not all of his stuff is MS67...I've probably bought over 100 PCGS coins from him that were $150 or less each. Rick Hennessy might be a good contact also...not sure what his buffalo inventory might look like but he knows his stuff. PM me if you need contact info on these guys.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    Thanks for the info! You're all helpful as usual.image

Mojo
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

• SarasotaFrankSarasotaFrank Posts: 1,625 ✭✭
    rare coins of new hampshire is always a great resource

here is a link to the Buffalos in the date range you seek"

http://www.rare-coins.com/shop/results3.cfm?k=11&start=11&category=Buffalo Nickel&keyword=

the link url feature is obviously beyond my limited comprehension - cut and paste it
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file