Home U.S. Coin Forum

My latest addition to my type set....(commem.)

Got this in the mail this morning. Not worthy of a crackout, but then I didn't pay 64 prices either! image Been looking for one of these puppies for a while. Any slab experts out there, is this from the real early days at PCGS?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."

Comments

• FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Yup - you got yourself a generation 1 rattler - nice coin too - congratulations!

Frank
  • maddogalemaddogale Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Yeah, Frank...the damn thing was rattling in the box when I got the packaging out....I didn't know they rattled so!!! image Should I reholder it??
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Send it in for a grade review, you might get a MS65 out of it!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Neil

that's a beautiful and very pertinent coin. the anniversary just passed, one of the most somber in our nations history. me and my girlfriend are making a side trip while at the Baltimore ANA. heading up to the park for a day or two and we're also going to the Eisenhower home which borders the park.

i guess you can't go wrong woth a reholder of the coin and if you think it would upgrade, why not pay extra for that?

al h.image
  • maddogalemaddogale Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Really not sure of that, Marty, if you look closely, there is a nasty hit on the Union soldier's cheek from another coin slamming into it. I think this is why the price I got it for (eBay) was under 64 prices. The guy didn't have a reserve on it, so I lucked out.image
  • Think you might just want to get re-slabbed anyway. Unless PCGS would also grade reveiw under a re-holdering request. Each "rattle" may further damage coin. I'm sure you'll have it secure, but you never know. Just a thought.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are right, maddogale, the marks on the soldiers' faces and hats preclude the MS-65 grade especially by today's standards.

I don't care for the old PCGS holders as a collector. They don’t fit in my slab boxes with the other coins, and I hate it when they rattle. As a dealers I've been able to sell them to other dealers who perpetuate the myth that all of the coins in the little old PCGS holders are undergraded.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file