Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Amazing toned 1922 Peace Dollar Electric-Blue, blue, maroon, orange, etc.

I am not an expert to toning, and I just recently found out (through these boards) that toned peace dollars arent common. A few years ago, I went to my grandmothers house in Colorado after she died (to clean up the house, it was a royal mess). While I was there, I found many coins (this is actually where I really got started in coins). Among the many many other finds, I found a small wooden box in one of the drawers. In the box were quite a few coins in 2x2's that looked as though they were there for decades (the 2x2s were falling apart). All of the coins were well toned. Whenever I show the coins to someone, they almost always say that they are artificially toned. On the other hand, I KNOW AS A FACT THAT THESE COINS WERE NATURALLY TONED. All of the coins were either gotten from the mint by my grandmother, or were gotten from the mint by my great-grandmother who gave them to my grandmother. Neither of them knew anything about coins, and have kept the coins just laying around since. I am posting some pictures of one of the toned coins here, it is a 1922 Peace Dollar. The coin looks a little different in real life, but I feel the pictures are a good reflection of the coins actual appearance. Please tell me what you think. PS: If you want this coin, it is up for sale, just make me an offer.
imageimageimage
imageimageimage
imageimageimage
Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.

Comments

• Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140

<< <i>I KNOW AS A FACT THAT THESE COINS WERE NATURALLY TONED >>

OK - enlighten us if you would.

Generally these coins don't tone in these colors and these patterns. In addition, your coin looks like it's seen some circulation, which then changes the whole color composition of the toning. So, unless you can enlighten me in a very convincing way, I'd say your coin is AT.

Frank
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Are you KIDDING??? Naturally toned colors don't climb the devices. AT'ed JUNK!
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ROTFLOL
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    Hey, your grandmother's name wouldn't be tonecoin2003 and be related to ASwimmer, would she? image

In all seriousness, I collect toned Peace $ and have a couple dozen of them. In the literally hundreds to thousands I've looked at, none of them look anything like this coin. Sorry to say, its gotta be AT. But if you want to donate it to the CoinReports website, we'll send it in for grading, if you like, if it comes back slabbed you can have a good laugh on us.

Let me know,

Michael
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Ignore all these naysayers and send it to PCGS before selling it -- it will bring many multiples of what it would raw. Be sure to wear gloves if it's still too hot too handle comfortably.

PS -- I'm assuming this is a joke on recent events... good one. image
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    You cant do anything about how your relatives stored coins but I would keep them for the sentimental value and the beauty that you know they are NT. I must comment that the luster on some looks satiny that would be more fitting for a 34 or 35 then a 22 which means maybe cleaned at one time...but just my opionionimage
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    Carter: I have been collecting Peace Dollars for 40 Years. They do not tone in patterns like the photos that you show. I don't know what they were exposed to, but they look AT'ed to me.
  • Options
    Well, I know as a fact the no human AT'ed them, there was however a squirrel that liked to hang around the house... image
    Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
    Kinda different, but I kinda like the colors.....looks AT though.
    imageimage

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    I too need help understanding how this is not AT. Here are some of the specific things that need to be explained.

(1) Many of the AT colors are present, while typical NT colors are missing. In addition, many of the colors look flat, which is another AT indicator.

(2) There are a number of abrupt changes in colors, which is yet another AT indicator.

(3) Many of the colors travel up, across, and back down the devices, which is yet another AT indicator. In addition, some of the colors also travel up and onto the rim (the same color), which is yet another AT indicator. On some of the pics, the color appear to also travel on and into the reeds- the same color!

(4) The toning pattern look does not look NT, which is yet another AT indicator.

(5) Typical toning shadows are not there, which is yet another AT indicator.

Hence with this many indicators of AT present, a good explanation would help to make a convincing argument for why it is not AT.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Now that you mention it, the coin does look like it may have patches of squirrel urine toning. In fact there appears to be a squirrel claw mark on the cheek. image
  • Options
    Grandma used to make the best baked potatoes but she never would give anyone the recipe.
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140

<< <i>Grandma used to make the best baked potatoes but she never would give anyone the recipe. >>

Grandma is related to Marty?? image
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Credibility....hard to acquire...easy to lose. Me thinks yours just took a serious hit.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    Just because some of you have never seen toning like this doesnt mean its not natural! What makes you think youve seen it all? There are trillions of places this coin could have been!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    however it happened, it doesn't matter. toning that looks like that is not "market acceptable"
    and will not be certified by NGC or PCGS. my guess is that even PCI would label it "questionable"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Looks just a wee bit overdone to me!

Next time try 20 minutes at 350 degrees...........turn once and season to taste. image
    The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

• Options
    The coins appear to be polished which is very common with old coins.As with polished coins it is natural for these coins to retone funky colors hence the color of these coins.If this is the case, the toning could very well be natural and indeed not artificially toned.
    PCGS,NGC & ANACS certified toned Morgan dollar dealer.
  • Options
    I dont care who thinks its acceptable or not, Im questioning these people who think the toning was someones art work! Just because you havent seen something doesnt mean it doesnt exist! My son has a quarter that was sitting in an machine shop next to some chemicals, it looks real simular to this Dollar!
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>I am not an expert to toning, and.......... PS: If you want this coin, it is up for sale, just make me an offer........... >>

This should be in the BST Forum.

Cameron
    Ultra Good Guy
    Got any sample slabs?image
  • Options

<< <i> My son has a quarter that was sitting in an machine shop next to some chemicals, it looks real simular to this Dollar! >>

Hmmmhh! A coin sitting next to some chemicals. AT!!!!!!imageimage
  • Options
    Are you afraid that too many different types of toning are becoming "Market Acceptable"? Is it fear were dealing with here? Are you afraid the supply of colorful coins is getting bigger and your going to lose your a$$?
  • Options

Hmmmhh! A coin sitting next to some chemicals. AT!!!!!!imageimage >>

Im sorry, I need a copy of the rule book that states where a coin can come from!
  • Options

<< <i>Are you afraid that too many different types of toning are becoming "Market Acceptable"? Is it fear were dealing with here? Are you afraid the supply of colorful coins is getting bigger and your going to lose your a$$? >>

image I am a COLLECTOR, so who the heck cares; I don 't.
    BTW, I forgot to mention that I like the looks of these coins, but not enough to buy them, though.image I have finished my Peace dollar set.
  • Options
    Bottom line: AT or not, it doesn 't matter to the next owner who actually enjoys the coins.image
  • Options
    Kind of funny how you NEVER see wild toning on a 1928 high grade peace dollar. You're lucky it's a 22'.....
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Its wrong to say that only eye-appealing toning is natural toning.

Thats what it seems everyone is saying.
    I,m not guaranteeing this camo-toned $ is NT.
    I,m just saying `it could be`
    Sometimes it takes a convincing story to make a sell but if the `buyer` either understands
    the toning or just likes the coin then everyones the better.
    If you dont like the color then ok, just call it AT, but that may not hold true.

What about those MS67 Frankie cow-pies with toning so thick
    and brownish you cant read a date.

End-Roll toning can be questionable looking to those that do know their toned coins.
    Its all ones own belief as to what constitutes NT or AT.

Its weird to me that sometimes there will be a toner everyone is gawking about
    and the coin looks awful to me. I hate to come in with a bowling ball response
    so I pass on the thread.
    I guess everyones idea of AT or `bad coin` is different.

• Options

<< <i>The coins appear to be polished which is very common with old coins.As with polished coins it is natural for these coins to retone funky colors hence the color of these coins.If this is the case, the toning could very well be natural and indeed not artificially toned. >>

Yes the obverse definetely is polished and the reverse may well be too.

Here are some pictures of a 1947-D washingnton quarter which also came from the same box:
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Kind of funny how you NEVER see wild toning on a 1928 high grade peace dollar. You're lucky it's a 22'.....

I too have often entertained that notion.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    The quarters are AT -- sulpher induced.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    toyonakatarotoyonakataro Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    Your quarter looks niceimage
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    I kept some copper cents in a small cedar box for about a year once. One day I opened it, and the coins were wildly toned and looked like AT. What kind of box were the coins kept in? A lot of wood is treated with chemicals and the such that could induce toning, whether intentionally or not. Just something to keep in mind.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    Just because you havent seen something doesnt mean it doesnt exist!

Sure, I've never see Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, the Loch Ness Monster, Big Foot, or even little green aliens for that matter, but I'm sure there's someone out there that will give me a fight that they are real as well! imageimage

Michael
  • Options
    littlewicher, Im sorry but I do not know what box it was in. After all this was a few years ago, and I only saw the box long enough to salvage the coins from it.
  • Options

<< <i>Just because you havent seen something doesnt mean it doesnt exist!

Sure, I've never see Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, the Loch Ness Monster, Big Foot, or even little green aliens for that matter, but I'm sure there's someone out there that will give me a fight that they are real as well! imageimage

Michael >>

Has anyone seen God yet? I have never, but my wife swore she did last week. I believe her.image
  • Options

<< <i>Be sure to wear gloves if it's still too hot too handle comfortably. >>

ROTFLMAO!!!imageimage

Let's see:
    1. There's a big hit on the cheek.
    2. It's been polished.
    3. The colors are of questionable origin.

I think it's worth at least 200% sheet. I think sheet on this one is probably melt. So I'll offer you $8.00.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    yes obvious a joke............lol

but if you have any seriousness of this thread then read and reread over and over again

franks and gat's posts

sincerely michael
  • Options
    doopsdoops Posts: 498
  • Options
    you can say one thing for wallstreetboy..he never says the same stupid moronic thing twice..he always thinks of a new stupid moronic thing to say
  • Options

Yeah, someone like a Lawyer, just be ready to pay the price!imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>you can say one thing for wallstreetboy..he never says the same stupid moronic thing twice..he always thinks of a new stupid moronic thing to say >>

Heh, Frattlaw, I just found a little green alien, they call her Jupitergirl!
  • Options
    doopsdoops Posts: 498
    imageimage
    now THIS is real peace dollar color tone
  • Options
    wallstreetboy..to call you mentally challenged would be a tremendous injustice and insult to those people who are..fortunately for you there are no minimum IQ requirements for posting in a public arena
  • Options
    BTW Jupitergirl, Did you not make it to second grade? Look at your post and try an figure out whats wrong with it, I know your not one of those morons you talk about, or are you!
  • Options
    130 to 140 on an IQ test isnt bad! Im willing to bet you dont even know what IQ stands for!
  • Options
    hey keets- not all threads on wildly toned coins end up with disscusions of the sub-atomic level of oxides
    and sulfides.
    Sometimes they break out into a good ol fashion flame war.image
  • Options
    Keets, Lets talk about Sodium and Potassium and how it controls action potentials in your nerve cells which let you hold that coin up to the light!
  • Options
    We can also talk about the Rods and Cones in your eye that allow you to see it!
  • Options

<< <i>imageimage
    now THIS is real peace dollar color tone >>

Doops, DOH!
    PCGS,NGC & ANACS certified toned Morgan dollar dealer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file