Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Chicago: I was there. (Discussion of 'Sue' added).

Thursday.

Paid the early bird which was $50 each, which seems absurd until you really think about it and realize that its actually ludicrous AND stupid. But I was down there already and had just walked the 11 miles from the parking garage to the bourse floor so I sure as heII wasn't going to turn back and go home just to do it again Friday.

Walked the floor in less than an hour, saw my good friend Julian, Stu Levine, Larry Whitlow, Mike Storeim, Dave Wnuck and colonial King Tony Terranova. Tony has ALWAYS got something totally cool in the case so I look forward to checking that out at every show.

Bought one coin, ate a hot dog which I think was made from the same material they use for those little round casters that keep your couch from sliding around, and headed out.

But that one coin was worth the trip and once again proved two coin adages:

1) You must attend every show, because the one time you don't go will be the time you miss the one cool coin you've always wanted, and -
2) The opportunity to buy some of these coins is actually rarer than the coins themselves. Think about it.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a good show and I am happy you were able to pick up a coin for your collection. Did you see any sample slabs at the show?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I agree about paying $50.00 to get in on Thursday is a ripoff. I did that last year and I actually had to sit and wait around for over 2 hours on Thurs. morning because only about 1/3 of the dealers were even there and set up by 10AM on Thurs. I also didn't think I had any better buying opportunities on Thurs. than I did this year going on Friday morning. I will never pay that $50.00 again.

dragon
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    dragon's spot on -

At the time I walked in at about 11AM Thursday, there were 20% empty tables with nobody around and lots of other people just getting set up.

I tried to meet the Jade Coin contingent, but when I went over to their table a medium sized tumbleweed actually blew across the display case. Empty. Totally empty.

Most of the poeple I wanted to see were set up, fortunately, and I did find something good as I mentioned. And if someone looking for the coin I bought had showed up on Friday, it would've been gone.

I guess the conclusion is that you really need to attend every show, always pay the early bird fee and then hang around through Sunday afternoon so you don't miss anything. Quitting your job would also be helpful, as all of that work stuff can really interfere with your collecting.

CCU

• Options
    I didn't go until Friday afternoon. I just missed a coin I needed by a few minutes. In my case it would have been worth it to pay the 50.00. It is hit and miss on the early bird. It depends when the coins surface. I was able to track the coin down and buy it. Special thanks to Legend for their help.
    Bill
    Coin Junkie

cameoproofcoins.com
  • Options
    Someone posted earlier that the show Sucked.
  • Options
    I was at a table where a major dealer was talking to another dealer. He said they did almost the same business as a Long Beach show. It is definitely a step down in the number of dealers. It was great for those of us in Chicago.
    Bill
    Coin Junkie

cameoproofcoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Someone posted earlier that the show Sucked. >>

Jonesy -

Well, sucked is a very, very strong word in my opinion. I would say the the show was a C+ overall, which I guess could mean that it sucked depending on what you were looking for. What were you looking for?

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... what was that one coin you purchased that made it all worth it?

peacockcoins

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Yes, what coin did you purchase and do you have a picture of it?

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    For me it would have been an AAAA+++++. Never been to a coin show.image
  • Options
  • Options
    Incidentally, while in Chicago we took the kids to the Field Museum to see 'Sue' - the largest and most complete Tyrannasaurus Rex skeleton ever found.

I'm not sure what I expected, but when I did ultimately see the thing my first reaction was to ask my wife 'is that a scale model?' because, frankly, it was puny (mind you I'm not saying it sucked). Its just that after seeing Jurassic Park I and II I was looking for something capable of whiping it out a whole town which this little guy wouldn't have been capable of in my opinion (note it was disovered by 'Sue' - they don't know if it was a female).

It that isn't bad enough, it didn't even live in the Jurassic Period - it was from the Cretaceous Period. Apparently 'Cretaceous Park' didn't fare well in the focus groups.

• Options
    I saw Sue two years ago while the wife and I were visiting friends in the Chicago area. Amazing animal. I wonder if it was any relation to another Chicago area person we all know from here????...Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file