Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Coin Vault, what a joke.

I just ran across this on the shopping channel while surfing. I saw coins and had to stop. OMG, I just about fell out of my chair. Common silver coins over $100 a pound. They were pulling out random coins quoting values of $5 to $20 a coin.

The hype spewing out of their mouths is insane. “Numismatic treasure trove” “numismatic avalanche” Get real. I love this big mouth lady, you can’t shut her up with a stick.

Click..

Thadd...
Novice collector, occasionally selling some coins on eBay. Click HERE to see all my auctions.

Comments

• Options
    Get a bigger stick!!!!!!!!!!!!
    New shop..........New lessons every day...............
  • Options
    Let the buyer beware!!!!

The really sad thing is when you see someone who buys stuff at these
    prices and thinks that they got a good deal; then they try to sell the stuff
    a year or so later to see what their "investment" did for them.image
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    Amen brother.........I have a shop, and I am almost broken hearted to tell folks that most of what they bought off the T.V. is at least 40% overvalued, most of the time it is in the multiple 100%..........I wish some folks would stop being greedy and damaging this great hobby/business........imageimageimage:
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    They tell you they have the best condition state quarters available and you won't find any better quality than theirs.

They also tell you what a great investment or heirloom these wiil make for your widow your children etc.

They then take these very scarce condition uncirculated state quarters and plate them with gold or platinum...
    Now they have become totally crap...
    does this make any sense?
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    The TV shows are NOT selling to established coin collectors like EVERYONE on these boards. They are selling to "lurkers" who happen to have a small interest in history and old coins. They are the POTENTIAL collectors of the future. Without these TV programs, the hobby would gain 0% of these people to the hobby in the future. With these programs like Shop at Home's "Coin Vault", perhaps 10% of these people who ARE ripped off initially, will realize that there is a wonderful hobby in coin collecting. We all get "ripped off" sometime. We learn from our experience. I think the 10% of maybe 100,000 viewers is worth something to our hobby. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Coin Vault is part of the Axis of Numismatic Evil, which includes ACG, NTC, Littleton, and other extensions of satan's realm.

Brian.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    I don't mind the outrageous prices The Coin Vault charges. After all, it's supposedly a free market, and the market is ultimately what determines a price. As with all items, it is up to the buyer to determine what price they want to pay.

What I do have a problem with is their frequent errors, misrepresentations, and outright lies. This kind of talk is damaging to the coin hobby. Long after Coin Vault customers forget about the price they paid, they will remember that they were lied to. This does not make a satisfied long-term collector -- it makes for one more jaded person who thinks all dealers are crooks. This is why Coin Vault deserves its place on the "Coin Axis of Evil".
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Just curious, what channel is the coin vault on? I am as anti-television as it is possible to be, but I do have a t.v. I live in the L.A. area.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    The Coin Vault guys name is Robert Chambers.
    Don't sell him anything and he won't have anything to hawk on TV.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually don't have much problem with what these guys charge, but the really disturbing thing is the "salesmanship" and the way they shade the truth to make it look like these are great investments or something. If they got up there and talked about historical value, pride of ownership, etc. etc. that would be one thing, but the problem is that they push the investment angle way too much. This is all a matter of degree, since everyone does this to a certain extent. Even QDB himself has said in print many times that he was not a familiar with a single case of a collection carefully formed over many years ever losing money. Surprised the CV guys have not quoted him on this image
  • Options
    They probobly have to charge those prices to be able to sell coins on live T.V. I cant begin to imagine what their overhead is like!
    PCGS,NGC & ANACS certified toned Morgan dollar dealer.
  • Options
    When you pull out circulated Washington quarters that sell for $1 to $2 and say “that’s a $12 coin right there”, I think something is wrong.

The price they were charging is high, but it’s the estimated “real value” that is almost criminal. Their trying to tell people that $100 worth of their silver is worth over $500 in numismatic value. It would be enough to turn any potential collector off for good once they found out how bad they were duped.

Thadd...
    Novice collector, occasionally selling some coins on eBay. Click HERE to see all my auctions.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I actually don't have much problem with what these guys charge, but the really disturbing thing is the "salesmanship" and the way they shade the truth to make it look like these are great investments or something. If they got up there and talked about historical value, pride of ownership, etc. etc. that would be one thing, but the problem >>

But they say that the values are equal to or less than what you can normally get them for- be it in a catalog (they don't specify) or a dealer... they are causing serious trouble... if they didn't tell you that they were getting a great bargain, then that ould be one thing... to tell people flat out lies about the prices... that is wrong.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    They were selling mint sets this morning. From 1956 to 1996 if I remember correctly. As the guy lied, the woman would hold up a different set. " This set is the 195x set. It has a Franklin Half Dollar in it. I saw in a publication a little while back that if the Franklin of this year is a MS65, It can be worth $1,500. This is for one coin alone. You can get this and 420 other coins for only $899.00!!"

Yeah, Right!! image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coin Vault is part of the Axis of Numismatic Evil, which includes ACG, NTC, Littleton, and other extensions of satan's realm. >>

When the barker on Coin Vault shows stupid prices for individual pieces in their the junk silver lotsimage, those quotes and that copy are from Littleton. It just shows that in satan's realm one claw washes the other hoof. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I have an idea........why doesn't the US MINT do a show????? They could sell their products on T.V. with their regular mark ups and clean up..........they could be on PBS for Free!!!!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the U.S. Mint did their customers what the Coin Vault does theirs there would be a Congressional investigation. Yes, I know that a lot U.S. mint stuff, especially the commmemoratives, have been overpriced; but at least those coins have been showing some life of late. When you buy stuff from the Coin Vault, almost all of it is what those of us in the trade call "a burial."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    <FONT size=1><with their regular mark ups>

This would get the Numismatic world some good T.V. coverage, and might start a few new collectors</FONT>
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Actually I don't know how anyone is able to buy anything from them, because "the phone lines are so backed up." I love watching it because it is so comical. I do however tell everyone that knows I collect to stay away. The are definately wirthy of being in the axis of evil.
  • Options
    callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    I admit I watch this and other coin shows sometimes for a good laugh. I don't really have a problem with the prices they charge BUT the half-truths, part-truths and sometime blantant lies do bother me. Whatever little good they do for this hobby(like bringing in some collectors) are far far outdone by the bad they do to this hobby.
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    All of those negative posts and not one person (until now) mentioned how they handle the coins. They just toss it around and touch it everywhere. It makes me sick.

Numonebuyer
  • Options
    No, it's NOT OK to lie and misrepresent, to deceive and purposefully mislead, to make money. That's why I have a problem with CoinVault as well as a host of other sellers, some around here, who used to mucho-hype their market and products.
    24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file