Home U.S. Coin Forum

Franklins? does anyone collect these?

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
I like the Franklin half! It's the last silver half dollar series, and the one an average collector can complete in reasonable time frame. Also, ole Ben helped our country some, I think imageimage
Here is what I got so far, mostly 64s and 65s, some FBL:

Want list: Proof 64 or better 1953, '52, '51, '50

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whitman Toning:

Sometimes these are found vividly toned (and sometimes..?)

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    who in their right mind would collect these eyesores?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
    In fact let me know when your ready to sell, such as that horrid and ugly 59. I do my good deed and remove these from the market so some poor unsuspecting person doesn't get dupped.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
    hey nightowl! I'll keep you in mind when it comes time to upgrade. Will consider trades for dates I'm missing in my Wild Toned Set. image

• FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Frankies? Did someone say Frankies? It is a wonderful series from a wonderful time in the growth of our generation (boomers). To me it beckons to a simpler time of not worrying about leaving your front door unlocked, neighborhoods where you knew everyone, the icecream truck meeting you on the street promptly at 7pm, and of course, treasures to be had in every roll of pennies you got from the bank! Enjoy them Baley - it's a great series!

Frank

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baley

That cracking sound are my Frankies coming out of their plastic tombs. Eagle folders are nice but there is something more "elegant" in displaying the coins in these folders minus the slab (IMHO). That's a nice run of coins...and I love the toning on the '59. It reminds me a little of my icon coin.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
    As you know, I prefer albums to slabs for my primary collections, except when the coins are so rare or high grade that they deserve the slab for protection. I dont mind carefully handling coins grading up to 65 or 66, or worth up to about $750. above those limits I still definitely prefer a major third party slab.

glad you like that '59D, and happy (and careful) slab-cracking to you!

• hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    Ah yes, definitely on my hitlist when I go back to the US this autumn. I will find as many coin shops as I can in 2 weeks and do some serious purchasing. I can't give away where I'll be going otherwise by the time I get there there'll be nothing but low end UNCs available.
    Mark

<< <i>& caught another bug...Frankies! >>

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    PM sent.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Hey! Those are mighty pretty Baley!!!
    Love them displayed as such. How long have you had them in those boards? I put a heavy handful in some old Wayte Raymond holders a few months ago...I'm guessing I'll have to keep them like that for a good number of years before they hopefully develop some decent color. Carry on!
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another beautiful set Baley. I have my frankies set up in a folder also and to me a set of frankies in a folder is "US coin collecting". Yea the slabs are in a bank box for those mega grades, but a set of nice uncs in a folder-----OH YEA.... Now come on Baley- I really want to see your merc set also----I'm sure you have an awesome set---I'm sure of it...cause the only thing that rivals a frankie set in a folder is a nice merc set in a a folder also. And thanks again for sharing that great set.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how did I know Lucy would be in this thread
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

I know some of you collect toned Frankies, does anyone have some pictures to post?

• It's not toned, but it's my first Frankie. I just got it this morning.
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
  • TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,621 ✭✭
    Eye candy anyone?

Greg
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Nice set Baley. I don't do Franklins but I got this toned one from Jeremy's (Airplanenut) Charity Auction.

I prefer these Franklins. I hoard themimage
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And just why would anyone want to collect a bunch of old stoves? They are big and bulky and hard to store. They don't stack well. I've yet to see an alblum that would hold them. The PVC sticks like crazy if you forget to take the wrap off before lighting a log inside. Worst of all if you try cleaning them you will never get them into a PCGS or NGC holder!
  • GDJMSPGDJMSP Posts: 799

<< <i>I know some of you collect toned Frankies, does anyone have some pictures to post? >>

Baley -

I don't post pics often - but since you asked.

knowledge ........ share it
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Please don't tell the Darkside folks but I really like Franklins. I like them circulated, worn smooth, I like them FBL, I like them white, I like them toned. It's a great series and the only lite side series that I am still actively working on after my darkside conversion. I like them because of my fascination with Franklin himself and because I even like the much maligned reverse design as well.

I used to have a nearly complete circ set but I got rid of that and I have been replacing it with the best condition pieces I can afford. I can't afford much so my set so far is nothing brag about here. I have managed only to complete 1948-1950 but 1951 will be coming soon, I am sure.

Does anyone have the new Tomaska book? I saw in my local coin store the other day but I haven't gotten a copy yet. How is it?
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140

<< <i>Does anyone have the new Tomaska book? I saw in my local coin store the other day but I haven't gotten a copy yet. How is it? >>

If you're going to collect Frankies - it's definitely a must - I'd get the soft bound version unless you're rabbid for Frankies - good general information. Also get Jack Ehrmantraut's "An Analysis of Gem Franklin Halves" also very informative! image

Frank
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    This is a 1956 that I purchased raw and just returned slabbed as MS65

.image
    USAF vet 1951-59

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file