Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ever have a friend drop a freshly purchased coin...

you just got, on a brick sidewalk? My first emotional feeling was a careful blending of sadness (the kind you get once kneed in the groin) and intense rage (much like the flash gunpowder makes when ignited). Luckily the coin landed on his lap first then on flip edge before going flat. NADA damage, not even to the flip. Needless to say, no one handles a raw coin or a slab of mine again without signing an agreement that allows me to the garote them in the event they drop it. image

Comments

• ERER Posts: 7,345
    Still your friend?image
  • It is amazing how you can hand a coin to a person by the edges, and the first thing that
    they want to do is pinch each side and put a big fingerprint right on it.

Of course, I also had a heart attack when I was showing some German inflationary
    currency to a group, and someone thought it would be funny to rip some note paper
    while my back was turned!!

Best rule of thumb - coins are to be handled only by coin collectors!!
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • DanCDanC Posts: 1,189
    I just love to feign a "drop" whenever Russ hands me something like his PR68DCAM AH '64 Kennedy. You ought to see his face!

In a word?

Buaaaaahahahahah! image
  • HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really is amazing how even smart people who are not collectors seem to have an uncontrollable urge to run their figures across a coin, tap it with their fingernails, etc.
    Higashiyama
  • hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    I can empathize. That is why I love having my nicer coins in slabs. My friends and family cannot resist the urge to pinch the coin.

<< <i>It really is amazing how even smart people who are not collectors seem to have an uncontrollable urge to run their figures across a coin, tap it with their fingernails, etc. >>

I have known a couple dealers who would do this as well... with BU coins that are in 2X2s. Even if it is in a 2X2, I don't like anyone pinching my coins.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Yep, this is a good reason for slabs. image I only show friends slabs. Or coins in flips while they are sitting on the couch over a soft rug. image
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. I had just cherrypicked an AU '88-O Hot lips Morgan. Showed to my buddy who promptly dropped it on a ceramic tile floor but fortunately, no damage done. Yeah, he's still my buddy.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    to echo the reply of nwcs, slabs offer protection against this sort of thing.

have you ever noticed that a coin's likelyhood of being dropped rising proportionately with it's value!??

al h.image
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    The wife dropped an ANACS holdered AU58 86-O Morgan on the coffee table shattering the holder. It came back AU53 from PCGS.

Yes she's still my wife but I would have had to beat her if it came back bodybaggedimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slabs might protect the coin, but who's to protect the slab?

I once got a PCGS-slabbed coin in the mail, opened it in the kitchen, and promptly dropped it on the floor.

Huge crack in the plastic, right across the obverse side of the coin. I hadn't had the thing in my possession for two minutes. image

And it was a DCAM Ike dollar, not really worth the expense of reholdering. Maybe if it was a smaller, lighter coin, the slab wouldn't have cracked when it hit the kitchen floor. Anywhere else in the house, it would have been on carpeting. Bummer.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • My 2 year old daughter got hold a 1968 deep cam Kennedy I just purchased and had removed from a 2x2.

cutest little scratches.

What the hell......They are going to be hers anyway.image
  • No, but I have had a friend squeze his fat arse out of the back of my day old Mustang Convertable and break the side glass...Twit
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Many years ago, when first began collecting, I was trying to do a set of old commems in MS63. I bought a nice shiny Lincoln throough a mail order dealer (still in business) and was showing it to Mr.D at his office. Coincidently, a dealer friend walked in and I gave him a look at my new coin. He "threw it" across the floor and said..."Now it's better." ....He then explained what "cleaned" meant and what "hairlined to death" looked like....Returned the coin the same afternoon.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    I sent MadMarty some roosies to submit for grading, he dropped em all and I got the low grades. To add insult to injury, he then torched my Frankie and it got a bodybag! image
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Lucy,
    The roosie game is "dog eat dog"...better stick to "friendly" frankies...imageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RobGetty -

"Of course, I also had a heart attack when I was showing some German inflationary
    currency to a group, and someone thought it would be funny to rip some note paper
    while my back was turned!!"

Now that is funny!!

I took a nice 1893-O Barber half, the first I had seen in three years outside to look at it in the sunshine, and dropped it hard on the asphalt...it bounced and flipped hitting the unforgiving asphalt three times. It ended up with some rim scruffs and minor ticks. The air for miles was peppered with my profanities. Luckily it was a circulated example and all I did was give it a little character.

Tyler

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file