Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you think the set registry idea is good for the hobby or bad or makes no difference ?

I don't really know myself but would certainly think it's created alot of competition to get top pop coins or to complete sets where there wasn't so much heated competition before.

Les
The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    I think it is good because it generates interest and it is always fun to see how you rank. It can be bad because it is discouraging that the rich can always come out on top by spending more and the rest of us schmoes can't.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I think it's bad:
    It's a very clever and successful marketing gimmick by the slabbers.
    It encourages collecting plastic rather than coins.
    It drives up prices to absurd levels, which one of these days will crash down. There will be fallout among all collectors.
    It's strictly money driven. Why not just post bank balances instead?
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    virtually no impact on the coin hobby whatsoever, but a great impact on the coin business. definitely good for pcgs's plastics business

K S
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's 100% good for the hobby. It helps some people have more fun collecting. So what if SOME of those people do some stupid things? Stupid people will always find a way to blow money, so why not on pretty coins?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    uh, i should have specifically said, the COIN hobby. obviuosly, it has a huge impact on the PLASTICS hobby. (correction edited in prev. post)

K S
  • It's good for the hobby because collectors love tracking, catagorizing, building, completing, distinguishing, and numbering -- and it adds fun. There is a cost, however. The "cons" have to do with the various byproducts of over-glorifying mass-produced coinage in extra-minty condition, and getting heavy corporate influence and dollars involved in something subjective and partially artificial (ie. over-emphasizing plastic and labels, the ability of one set or coin to change status upon resubmittal to even the same company, etc.)
    24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah, yes. it definitely makes a difference and whether that's good or bad depends on the individual and their approach. time will surely show that the interest generated in Numismatics will greatly outwiegh any perceived evil.

there needs to be a poll to see how The Set Registry has changed collector approach to the hobby. are more collectors looking at raw coins? are more collectors submitting for their sets? have all of us been given an oppurtunity to see and acquire coins we otherwise would have missed? have we met people like dorkkarl and andy that we otherwise would have never known? have our lives been increased and enriched by the changes The Set Registry has influenced?

each of our answers to these questions and many more should tell us all something about our approach to the hobby and life in general. methinks there are some pessimists amongst us all!!

al h.image
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it's bad:
    It's a very clever and successful marketing gimmick by the slabbers.
    It encourages collecting plastic rather than coins.
    It drives up prices to absurd levels, which one of these days will crash down. There will be fallout among all collectors.
    It's strictly money driven. Why not just post bank balances instead? >>

Ditto.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• It is good and bad in my opinion.

Good because it creates interest and is fun to compete against others.

Bad because it makes it really tough for the average guy to have fun in it. Let's face it you have to have some serious cash if you want to play this game and do a top set. I think this discourages a lot of people form it. I also think some people are only concerned with the grade on the slab and do not know or care about the coins in them. They simply want to have the best set regardless of cost.

I also think as m ore coins are slabbed and pops start going up, a lot of people will lose money which will give them a negative taste for the hobby.

Just my thoughts,
    Jay
    Why not just post bank balances instead?

Because they can't be verified. image
    Andy Lustig

• I think it is good for coin hobby.

To me it is an online, public, Whitman folder. It also gives me something to chat about with others of like mind.

There is no way I'll ever be able to assemble a #1 type set. Then again, I don't care. I'm happy with the coins I can buy and really try to find nice coins for the grade.
  • "I also think some people are only concerned with the grade"

That's another part of the inherent problem, or cons if you will. It really encourages an over-emphasis on subtle grade differences while entire sets can come back with different rankings daily if resubmitted.

Let's face it, you're not really always getting a coin that is nicer to look at or is even better than a duplicate issue with an inferior rating -- yet that is what the registry system is based on in part. What you are getting, in part, is a corporate-backed number and premium for resale. I think that's what turns some people off, and where the danger lies. It's like working towards the highest rank high-tech stock portfolio that can change daily or be filled with accounting fraud, overly value issues, and worse: a ranked comparison to other such portfolios in a "stock set registry" based upon subtle differences of profitability or financial health.

The registry set is probably overall good for the hobby -- but there are real cons I believe. It's especially bad when such items are hyped, just like in anything where serious money is involved and the risks downplayed or selfish assertions pushed forward.
    24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.
  • barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    I have often thought my favorite coin became available because of the set registry and the former owner upgraded to get the only one graded higher then mine and sold mine when he upgraded, since he sold it thru a coin dealer I tried emailing him to ask him if I guessed right and also to thank him but he never answered me. Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    imageThe only problem I have is with PCGS Registry, they must be graded by them. That being the case, for a top quality set you pay 25% or more just to have their plastic around it. But if they changed and added a few other grading systems, it would knock them off their HIGH Horse!!!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bad because it makes it really tough for the average guy to have fun in it. >>

I'm an average guy, actually below average. But, I'm having a blast with it. I will never be #1, or even in the top 5 in proof Kennedys. Right now, I'm at #12 and maybe I might be able to claw my way in to the top 10 someday if I keep working at it.

The thing that makes it fun for me - and frankly gives me a sense of pride - is that I'm the only one ranked this high that doesn't own a single PR70DCAM. So, I guess what I'm saying is that fun is where you find it. I find it in competing against collectors who have lots of money to spend, and still staying on the first page of over 100 sets. image

Russ, NCNE
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bringing more collectors into the hobby is good. The problem I have with the registry is collections are controlled by the whims of third party grading. Collectors are spending too much money on grading, and too much time worrying about the grades they will get. With the registry, less emphasis is put on the study of numismatics.

Specialized clubs for the series you collect is a better way to go. I am a member of the Bust Half Nut Club, a club for serious collectors of bust halves by die marriages. We have a census of collections, and they are not controlled by 3-P grading, most members don't even use 3-P grading. The emphasis is on the study of bust halves. New discoveries, rarity ratings, and other bust half publications originate from the BHNC. Sharing information and having fun is a priority.

Specialized coin clubs can enhance your enjoyment of the series you collect, without having to rely on 3-P grading.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Specialized clubs are OK, but they are hardly accessible in all locations. In other words, nothing like that exists anywhere close to me. Being able to post pictures of the coins is also good. I enjoy seeing what others have, too.
  • HJPHJP Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    I have several issues / problems with the set registery:

1) I don't want to let other people know what I have because it increases prices on coins in the series I collect when they come up for bid. It allows dealers to target certain collectors and hype coins they need for thier registery sets.

2) Some larger dealers are able to manipulate the prices on low population coins because PCGS does not always update the population reports after they grade & slab the coin. I know for a fact that PCGS will give some dealers time to market these "unreported" coins - thus allowing the dealer to command a higher price due to the artifically low population report. In my opinion this is fradulent.

3) Regarding modern Bullion & Commems in MS70 / PR70 grades, the mania that has driven the prices of these coins to current levels is one that will backfire on those who have paid 10X, 20X or more than what a MS/PR69 coins trades at. In my opinion, the owners of modern coins who paid these prices will live to regret it. The set registery is the marketing tool that has allowed this frenzy to occur. But, over time as more and more 70's are made, watch what happens to the prices. The 70 game is a house of cards.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some larger dealers are able to manipulate the prices on low population coins because PCGS does not always update the population reports after they grade & slab the coin. I know for a fact that PCGS will give some dealers time to market these "unreported" coins >>

That's a pretty serious allegation. I'm sure you have the proof to back it up, right?

The pop reports are updated every Thursday of every week. I guess the data entry clerk gets a list of specific coins not to enter? I wonder if that list is delivered by black helicopter.

Russ, NCNE
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's great if you're making money from coin submissions and / or selling top pop coins to registry set participants.

It's horrid if you are a collector who isn't interested in the registry. The registry idea puts more upward pressure on prices for the nicest material, encourages more and more resubmissions and increasingly ambiguous grading standards.

As a collector, I'm seeing more and more MS 66 & MS 67 slabbed type coins that IMO are clearly substandard for the grade. It has gotten so bad that I actually had a guy at a major auction house thank me for asking detailed questions about a lot in their auction. He told me that many of the calls he gets are "what is the grade on the coin & what do you think it will go for?"

I also agree that this contributes to the potential for dealer manipulation re the pricing of low pop high graded coins.

I have to wonder. In the late '70s and late '80s, when "major investment dollars" got into coin collecting, the 'investors' had their heads handed to them. I'm wondering if we will see history repeat itself.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Strictly speaking from a financial standpoint, it’s great if you are a seller, but bad if you are a buyer.

Before the creation of the Registry, I started collecting Lincolns in MS67RD. I could find some great coins at fair prices. Now, however, I’ve been priced out of the market for several issues and fear I’ll never be able to complete my short set in this lofty grade.

Of course, I can always sell what I’ve already acquired and pocket a tidy profit, but I’m then left with no coins.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The registry concept is a natural outgrowth of third party grading which is a natural outgrowth
    of the modern desire for the highest quality pieces. Yes, collectors have always sought quality,
    but before the proliferation of the grading companies the only effective way to obtain the best
    quality in most cases was to look a many, many coins. This was an expensive and time consuning
    process and it was difficult for the collector to know when he had looked long enough. This severe-
    ly limited the demand and price of high grade coins. Few would put in the effort that was required
    to find the "registry quality" coins. They would pay the price when they found such coins, but in
    those days that meant a twenty or fourty percent premium rather than one or two thousand per-
    cent. As coin valuations in high grade bagan diverging more and more it got increasingly difficult
    to value higher grade coins and still the trend to higher grades was intensifying. The grading com-
    panies were started to attempt to define these graduations and make coins more liquid and fungible.
    To a large degree they suceeded at this task though it is not always apparent. What really caused
    these "divergences" in price to increase was the advent of the internet and ebay. Now, rather than
    look through endless rolls or hundreds of dealers cases it was possible to sit at home and click your
    way to the best quality.

It was only natural that with many people attempting (and achieving) sets of the highest quality
    that a way for them to "compete" or compare their achievements would evolve. If the grading com-
    panies hadn't done it someone else probably would have. But this isn't really the point of the regist-
    ries anyway... the point really is that people are trying to assemble such sets. The point is that it is
    actually possible now where in the past it wasn't really for most collectors.

The question that should be asked is "Is the drive to obtain the highest quality coins good for the
    hobby?" We each will answer this in our own way, but regardless how any individual answers, there
    will be a new trend coming down the line eventually. Whether you see this as sliced bread or petrified
    cow chips, all things must pass.

Tempus fugit.
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Let me start by saying,we all agree it was a great marketing tool by PCGS.It has increased their submissions so much,it has delayed the results.
    Is it good for the hobby ? I think it is.It has generated much interest in almost all series.Just look at all the newbies we've seen here.Personally it has made me focus and complete a set,something I failed to do before.It is only bad if your trying to compete with others for best set.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • LegendLegend Posts: 335
    The set registry is by far the greatest marketing tool this hobby has EVER seen (more so than State Quarters IMHO).

It also is the worst thing to ever happen-exagerrated pricing, lack of material, the loss of the collecting concept (to a degree), etc.
    Laura Sperber

JUST SAY NO TO WANNABES! They lurk and prey on unwitting collectors in chatrooms!
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Les,

I wonder if the registry isn't doing a huge favor for future collectors by causing the superb coins to be searched out and preserved.image

BTW - I don't have any sets registered, but I can't imagine they would be anything but benign tools for collectors anxious to measure their progress. I think most of the heat of the argument aimed at the registries is probably misdirected from the population census that should be the more likely target.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The set registry is by far the greatest marketing tool this hobby has EVER seen (more so than State Quarters IMHO).

It also is the worst thing to ever happen-exagerrated pricing, lack of material, the loss of the collecting concept (to a degree), etc. >>

It's surprising to hear one who makes a living selling high grade coins refer to exaggerated pricing, or have I misunderstood this?
    Tempus fugit.
    the loss of the collecting concept (to a degree)

Laura - I don't necessarily disagree, but what exactly do you mean by this?
    Andy Lustig

• lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I think it is a great thing, and for those discouraged by competition, check your ego at the door.

To add to Cladking's questions to Legend about exaggerated pricing, how about the listings -- have they ever listed a coin that was not undergraded? Even their morgans "should have" graded pl, or their pls are as deep as dmpls. I know Legend has a lot of fans, but I'm not sure if it is because of true customer satisfaction or brainwashing.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    There is a very positive aspect to driving up the price on the very best pieces, in some series it has driven the price on the pieces 1 or 2 points under the top pop pieces lower making them more affordable to collectors not worried about investment potential.

2 of these that come to mind are the Franklin halves and the Jefferson nickles, if you don't have to have the highest grade there are some better buys for collecting at 1 or 2 points down from the best that are still very pretty coins. From a collecting point of view If a 65 FBL or a 65 F/S is 50 % of the price of what it was a year ago, it still migh be just as pretty if you don't need a "top of pop" 67.
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    I was collecting my registry set before I even knew about the registry sets. And was happy with my collection. Then a friend brought up the subject and said I should put mine in. I entered my set, after much coaxing, and am having just as much fun now as I was before. I'll never be #1, but I am #15. Your ranking shouldn't, and to me doesn't matter. Do the best you can with what you got! Having fun and loving what you have is what it is all about.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collectors having fun with their hobby. I don't see anything wrong with that.

peacockcoins

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is ALL good!! it brings a sense of competition, search for the best and a real sense of pride to those involved. They willingly participate and if others do not agree, they only need not participate. Of course the registry set could run the prices of coins up, but that is life and what will be will be.

Tyler
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    Good for the people who are into it and enjoying it. Good for the slabbing companies.
    Makes no difference to me, or other who are not into it. Hey, I have the number one all-time finest coin collection, MY OWN.
    "the loss of the collecting concept (to a degree)"

By that I mean, there appear to be a whole new group of people who will buy the holder, not the coin. And then they pay record prices for those coins.

These people simply want to be #1 or high up. Sure, they are collectors, but to a purist, they really aren't. I don't think the word FUN is in their ego driven vocabularies.

As far as the pricing issue and what I pay, #1 I will pay stupid strong money ONLY for the ultra high end quality coins. #2 The prices I pay aren't dictated by me-its the market-and in Many cases, I think the prices are stupid too! Example: When I paid $21,000.00 for an 1907D 10C PCGS MS67, there were TWO other collectors right in there bidding with me. I happen to have a very deep pocketed customer who had to have the coin to remain #1. The coin was okay, so who am I to deny him? And who's also not to say that in 5 years, his set won't be worth 5x more?

One thing I do know, the market for the VERY FINEST IS DIFFERENT than the middle range material. Everytime I would think I'm buried, it seems to end up a good deal. Sometimes, I get VERY uncomfortable having to deal with it.

For all its goods and bads, the Registry concept is too strong to flame out.

Laura Sperber

JUST SAY NO TO WANNABES! They lurk and prey on unwitting collectors in chatrooms!
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    Laura, it 's almost 3AM in the East Coast. Aren 't you working in the morning? Oh, I forgot! You are the President.image
    I've got to catch a plane soon. Its nice to see other people still hanging around!
    Laura Sperber

• in reply to the question asked to start the thread. The registry doesn't affect my appreciation for the hobby one bit. I collect what adds to my collection. I don't worry about pop reports. If I like it I buy it, for own comparison. I let my competitive nature kick arse in other interests. Anyone wanna play some pool? image
    -Aaron
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Laura made a very important point. I will never be in the market where she deals. The super high end rarity market gets tons of publicity due to the beautiful nature of those coins. However, the vast majority of coin collectors do not have those deep pockets. In that market the registry has all of the attributes (plus and minus) discussed.

However, for myself and many collectors like me who have a very modest budget, the Registry has been a wonderful way to meet other collectors who share my passion for Mercury dimes. The primary goal of most of this group is set completion. We share our finds and chase our dreams within our own budgets. The top spots in our Registry are so far out of sight that we are not affected by the cost of an MS67FB 1916-D or other rare coin. The Registry (AND this forum!!) has allowed me to meet a number of really wonderful collectors and also provided a place to locate, buy and sell coins that I did not have before. This has all been very positive for both my ability to locate coins and also share camarderie with fellow collectors. All in all, a very positive outcome for me.

All that said, I am in 18th place and it is all related to how much of the set I have acquired. I will never be in the top 5 and that is fine with me. I also know there are many, many finer sets that are a mix of PCGS and other coins (with the exception of the top set... wow!) so even if I were to be top 10, it would only be here and probably top 1000 in reality. I guess I am saying that it has been a really positive experience for me, but I do understand where the issues lie for others.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    I like the Registry, and I think it is a huge boost to the hobby.
    When I start a Registry set, I choose a 'classic ' series I like and and can afford, and I know before I buy the first coin, that the set will be at least in the top five. By choosing a set that will make the top five, I know I will have to purchase high quality, low pop coins, which will make me happy now and as well as later when I decide to sell those same low pop, high quality coins.
    The Registry compels me to seek out the finest coins with a sense of order and where I can view my progress easily.
    I am not Bill Gates, and have had to pass on some very high priced coins that I would have loved to own.
    Knowing the approximate cost of a complete Registry set before you begin it, is the most important factor.
    This has worked well for me as I check auction prices, dealer websites and the POP reports before I even attempt a Registry Set.
    The only pitfall, has been the fairly new Cameo and Deep Cameo designations, which started as I was beginning my PR Morgan set.
    After doing my ' research ' on the complete set, I knew that I would have a top five set, at a price I was comfortable with, but the Deep Cams and Cameos, have more than doubled my original estimate.
    It sucks, because three years ago I could buy a PR 67 Morgan for approximately $10K. The same, exact coin in a new holder, which now has Deep Cameo printed on it, can cost triple the $10K.
    At least these Deep Cams are the best of the best and people are paying the price, so I believe they are still a good buy, if the total mintage in that grade, ( non cameo ) is less than 5.
    The Registry overall is good, if you have a game plan and stick to it.

• << <i>The set registry is by far the greatest marketing tool this hobby has EVER seen (more so than State Quarters IMHO).

It also is the worst thing to ever happen-exagerrated pricing, lack of material, the loss of the collecting concept (to a degree), etc. >>

Exactly. Well said Laura.

For me, the positive is that I am more able to explore my HOBBY by electronic means, internet, etc. It is through these boards, slab companies and the like that has provided much of the new resources available; coins, research, pricing, community, etc.

I have no interest in registry sets, some of the stuff I collect just doesn't into their niche. The negative and most grievous to me is the inflated prices/value. This has caused me to pull back and wait until the next decline (when; who knows?), or a sweet deal comes along with reasonable prices. Hey, I'm not talking top poulation material here. There is a trickle down effect in pricing, holding proportional to demand and supply. For me to purchase my remaining two "keys", if I can find them, I either have to be patient and wait this out, or play the game. I choose to wait and see, I could afford to smell the rarified air right now if I chose, but right now it Smells like a used bean burrito...a very bad bean burrito...
    gravity--it's the law.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of the Registry and now is as good of a time to explain my reasons:

1. I don't believe that there is a way of objectively determining a ranking for an entire set of coins. I say this because grading has a subjective component to it and always will... subjectivity that is inherent to grading and then taking that subjectivity into a different setting that involves ranking collections based on numbers really doesn't work well.

2. Unfortunately, Americans are too caught up with rankings and numbers and other meaningless awards. Every College football season there is always a debate about which team should be number one... why do we need this debate in something that is suppost to be fun?

3. Do we really need the "keeping up with the Jones'" mentality in this hobby...I don't think so.

4. The best comment made on this thread in favor of the registry set concept was DHeath's remark about preservation. The only problem with that argument is and it really begs the question... How many original coins are dipped or enhanced in a vain attempt to get a higher grade? Is that helping preservation? I don't think it does...

I concede that the Registry sets are here to stay and I really hope that over time I can honestly say that I hope that there will be compelling reasons for me to reconsider my thoughts on this subject.image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    it all depends

if it is done within reason with coins that are worth almost as much out of the holder as in the holder THEN IT IS GOOD REALLY REALLY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the problem is when people do the registry with coins and compete with coins that are worth much much less out of the holder than in the holder

then it is bad really bad.........................................................................

but eventually the market/any market finds its true level and there will be much crying and nashing of teeth

but such is life

sincerely michael

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file