Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Reserve auction question

I have coin on ebay w/ reserve. Bidder has emailed asking what is my reserve. Is it proper to give out reserve price to bidders? I have always considered it private. If he wants to know, bid max & if not meet reserve, then reserve is higher. I do not want to ignore him. What would be best way to respond.

98panda
98PANDA.98panda

Comments

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Ask him for his max bid and you will tell him if it is enough or not. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Its a common practice. Up to you if you want to tell or not. I see no harm. You set the reserve so I assume you are comfortable with the amount.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I always tell the reserve when asked.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    if someone asks me I always let them know.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    PS: Pretty slick the way you slipped your eBay listings link in to the US Coin forum.

Just like you did here.

And, just like you did here.

Just do like everybody else, and put it in your signature. Much less blatant.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    will reveal!! I don't like reserves but tired of setting high starting price. Like to see some action on coins. Been doing real auctions ($1 start & no reserve) & been doing very well. Bidders love "real" auctions...just kind of buried in this coin. Thanks
    98PANDA.98panda
  • Options
    I just list link to show what I am talking about. Like anyone here would pay the prices I get on ebay!!!image You guys seem to be more...shrewd shall we say. Don't put link in my signature because sometimes there is nothing there & whats the point of linking to nothing?
    98PANDA.98panda
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭
    If any one asks, I'd give them the reserve.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I see no reason whatsoever to keep the price secret. Do you want to sell it or not?
    If the bidders know what it takes to met reserve they can either bid that amount or they don't want to buy it.
    I wonder how many sellers lose sales because the bidders bid 10 times, get the old "reserve not met" and give up while being only 1 increment away and didn't know it?
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    baseball makes sense. While looking at your search hit page if you see a coin with 1 bid and another with 15 which one are you going to look at? You be thinking man those 15 bidders see something good let me bid too!
    Another reason for secret reserves (usually unreasonably high) is to establish a price or value by the bids on something you really don't want to sell but was wondering what it was worth.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Did you know Ebay recently increased their reserve fees? If not check it out - you may not want to use reserves any more.
  • Options
    Reserves are kept hidden for the purpose of increasing bidding frenzy and protecting a seller from an abysmal final price due to various circumstances that may occur in an auction (like an auction that ends during the superbowl or... {fill in the disaster here})

Telling a bidder the reserve is optional, it is just a choice you have to make. cm
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>. While looking at your search hit page if you see a coin with 1 bid and another with 15 which one are you going to look at? You be thinking man those 15 bidders see something good let me bid too! >>

Actually, I'll look at the auction with only one bid first under the theory that the other auction has all the attention and maybe I'll be able to pull off a bargin on an overlooked auction. If I don't like what I see THEN I'll go look at the popular one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file