Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for dealers re: International selling

I'm one of those vest pocket wannabe dealers. Have a website:

Old Time Rare Coins

Have some banner ads around. Minding my own business and one day an order comes in from the United Kingdom. The customer pays by PayPal, which is good, I guess. On the notification, Paypal points out that the customers address in "unconfirmed" and I won't be protected by their Seller Protection Policy in the event the credit card turns out to be stolen. As I read through the Paypal legalese, it appears that they only confirm USA addresses, so all international addresses would be unconfirmed.

On the order form, the customer asked that I not put a value on the customs forms, or to put a lower value than actual to avoid their excise tax. The spelling, grammar and syntax of the message indicates that English is probably a second language for this customer.

I had intended to ask the forum for advice on whether to make the sale or refund his paypal, but now I've talked myself out of the sale. Too many red flags to ignore. It's not a huge sale - around $400 - so it's not worth the aggravation I would suffer if I let myself be scammed after all the warning signals. What do you think?

Mike

Comments

• Options
    Dukie101Dukie101 Posts: 1,313
    I'm not a dealer ,but I do sell items on ebay. I do not do international sales for the reasons you have listed. I have blocked international payments on my paypal. I got talked into a couple of sales,but it's not worth the hassle and I won't sell international again.
    Larry
  • Options
    Well, I'm Canadian, and I hope that you all don't start to restrict purchases from here!
  • Options
    I ship to the US and to Canada.

I have done business with other folks from east of the pond many times, but typically on arrangement (where we've agreed up-front what to do).

I've had only one bad experience in Europe before, but have had lots of success with the good folks in Europe and parts of Asia. Australia and Japan, too.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    My company used to allow international sales. We stopped two years ago.

When dealing with international transactions, you must recognize that if the transaction goes bad you have to operate in the jurisdiction of the buyer. And all cards will be stacked against you. To compound the issue, each country's customs vary in how they handle problem shipments. Your product often is held unreasonably and you usually end up forfeiting your product. I would be very cautious with this individual who has asked you to falsify your declaration. If checked you will likely forfeit your rights to your coin and it will be confiscated. Oh, I suppose you can eventually get it returned but you will need a good international law lawyer to walk you through the mine field.

In the words of Jenny - "RUN FOREST, RUN!"
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not a dealer either, but I do sell my extra stuff on eBay when I want to buy other stuff. I have had a few (maybe 15) International transactions with ZERO problems. I welcome International bidders.

They are usually the most friendly folks.

I will NEVER EVER lie on the customs forms, though I have been asked one time.

People know they have to pay the excise, so if they do not want to pay it, then do not bid.

My opinion only.

Rampage.

By the way, all my International transactions have been less than $30.00.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Shipping internationally can be tricky, with Paypal involved. Unless you know the party, I wouldn't do it. I've done overseas transactions with board members through Paypal, and don't have a problem with that.
    Paypal leaves the seller hanging in the dust with overseas transactions, so for me, it's just not worth it. I don't accept Paypal payments from non-confirmed addresses. Period. Makes things very simple. image
    Now, overseas transactions with BIDPAY works fine. You (the seller) get your money order, and the item is shipped. The buyer must know in advance that most overseas transactions cannot be insured by the USPS, so they are on their own once the item is shipped.
    You could word your terms of sale that you will accept BIDPAY only for overseas transactions, and you assume zero liability once the item is shipped.
    I admit it, I've lied on Customs forms. I don't feel comfortable doing it, but there are a couple of board members who I'll take a chance for. image
    No lying for the general public. image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    I have shipped overseas. For more expensive stuff I have insisted on USPS Global Express Mail or Express Gauranteed. You can get tracking, insurance, return receipt.
    Tom

Text

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file