Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

conder101: 2 PCGS slab label types and another NGC sample.....

.....with the same serial number (not different colors):

Here is a PCGS slab. The one on the left has a bold series # and coin#, while the one on the right is the normal writing. Is this two different types? The rest of the slab is identical.

Cameron Kiefer

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trick photography.

peacockcoins

• Options
    It's no trick.

I was asked to scan the reverse of the PCGS slas since there may be a difference. I wil do so at lunch today and post it.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    On PCGS 8 style slabs I have noticed the "heavy" and light printing on the coin and series numbers before but it doesn't seem to follow any special type of pattern but just shows up at random. Further study may eventually show that it was a brief change but for right now it just appears to be a slight variant. There is another sub-variety of PCGS 8 that came to light after the publication of the book that I thought might account for it but after checking the ones in my collection they all have the "light" type.

The PCGS 8 sub-variety that isn't in the book is a transitional slab. It has the front label of PCGS 8 and the back label of PCGS 6. On PCGS 6 the hologram is slightly smaller and has straight sides while the back label of PCGS 8 has a slightly larger hologram with sides that curve and bulge outwards. This was probably just a case of PCGS using up the holograms on hand and not really an intentional variety.

On the NGC slabs that you show, are you saying that those labels are different? Is it a color difference? I ask because to me they are both the same. About the only difference I can see is that the one on the left has the laft border slightly thinner but the right border is slightly thicker so I suspect that may be a case of a slight difference in the trimming of the label
  • Options
    The NGC are both totally the same. They are both sample slabs with the same serial numbers! I think this helps us understand the 199999 peace dollar samples where there are duplicates of the same number. I think NGC made several batches of sample slabs at different times and used the same numbers, just like they might have done with the NGC peace dollar samples. You think so?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    After looking at the PCGS slabs again another though hit me. Possibly when they first started PCGS 8 it was intended to have everything but the serial number in a heavy font and they decided they didn't like it and changed the coin and series numbers to the light font.

Nope just checked the date of the coin in the holder and the "heavy" font piece was slabbed at least two years after the PCGS 8 slab began. So much for that idea.
  • Options
    It might just be that they ran out of sample slabs at a show and quickly made up some more without looking at the differences. I bet they don't spend alot of time making the labels perfect since the coin isn't graded and is given out for free.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Oreville:

Tha backs are the same with no barcode - but the hologram is a little larger on the one with the bold (right side).

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kiefer; arrrgggh....I forgot that these samples don't have bar coding.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    No problem. You notice the difference in the hologram though? The one on the right is slightly larger and more rounded.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    kiefescoins: yes, indeed. These are two different generations of PCGS slabs, IMO.

There are three different generations of blue insert slabs now, the trick is to match these up to the non sample inserts to see which ones are what as I now forget.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    someday cameron will change the channel n pop a doody in his knickers after seeing all the new and wonderful other collectibles besides the freebie

there is life outside the the sample...but ill go one better and suggest carol give you a sample slab forum. I enjoy passsion but this is stalker material.

not to say they arnt collectable...just wish someone with your zest would post something interesting.

getting bored

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    And he could drop that Forum Gestapo attitude!!!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    Pontiacinf: Sure it is your right to get bored. image But it is precisely the passion of the likes of kiefercoins, coppercoins, conder101, Don Kagin, MrEureka, etc. that gives the hobby new blood as well as new knowledge. There is some serious trying to retrace our history and sure, not all of it is going to be interesting to many.

OK, I admit i am not a big fan of kiefercoin's flashing lights. I even joked about it with him a number of times and even pointedly told him that I see red every time I see flashing red lights. but that is minor stuff.

I do think you have tried to be somewhat restrained in your comments to kiefercoins, but wouldn't a pm have been more appropriate?

While I do not always agree with kiefercoins I only wish we had thousands more just like him in all the different areas of coins!!!

I will also state that so many collectors yawned and griped when I was so hyped up about washington quarters back in 1995 to 1998 and patterns from 1997 to 2001!!!
  • Options

<< <i>. I think NGC made several batches of sample slabs at different times and used the same numbers, just like they might have done with the NGC peace dollar samples. You think so? >>

It seems like a reasonable assumption and your evidence of duplicate slabs would seem to confirm it.

Your pictures of the reverses of the PCGS samples does clearly show the two different hologram sizes and since both are dated 2001 that would tend to indicate the approximate time for the change. Since the NY quarter was the first state quarter issued this would probably put the hologram change sometime in Jan 2001 to March 2001. (This works under the assumption that the services creates sample slabs as the differnt coins come out and not all at one time towards the end of the year or creates additional batches of sample slabs using state quarters that are out of production at a later time. I know they create them as they come out because whenever I have recieved a sample slab as a free hand out it has been of the current quarter. I don't know if they make additional batches but I doubt it.)

For those who find this boring and would rather this be done by PM: Sorry but the thread title clearly indicates thatit cantains sample slab info, and we do carry out some of this behind the scenes via PM's but there are also a few collectors here on the forum who are interested in the samples and tracing their history. I find that there are usually 150 to 175 updated or new threads per day here on the forum and I think currently two of them are discussing Samples. Can't we have even 1% of the forum? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file