Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why is it on most large BU coins is the reverse better than the obverse?

SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭
Especially Morgans and Saints
Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feathers in the design do well to hide slide marks

Coins rested in cabinets face up. More opportunity for dings, toning & thus cleaning, etc

• Options
    Walker Reverses are Heavenly!!image
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larger coins tend to have large open spaces on their obverses, while the devices on the reverses tend to leave less room for such open areas. Bruce's comment re the slide marks is also appropriate.

An example is the cheek on Miss Liberty on the Morgan $s & on Barber Coinage. Also, the raised area re Miss Liberty on the Walker and on Seated Coinage tends to attract contact marks as well.
    If you look at a Seated $ in Unc., you'll often find most contact marks on the reverse in the field between the eagle's head and the top rim of the coin.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying that it is true, but I once heard that when Morgan dollars came off of the "assembly line that they were face down as they plinked into the barrell or tub, or pole or whatever. I don't necessarily believe this, but it would account for the difference in quality between the sides.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    I see that on smaller coins too.

I was guessing the way they were stored had something to do with it. If they were saved in a Whitman folder the reverses are protected. If they are in a slide type folder people often put the coin in with their thumb and slide the slide across the obverse.
  • Options

<< <i>I see that on smaller coins too.

I was guessing the way they were stored had something to do with it. If they were saved in a Whitman folder the reverses are protected. If they are in a slide type folder people often put the coin in with their thumb and slide the slide across the obverse. >>

OUCH! Just reading your description gives me the shivers. Don't put your thumb on the coin, please!image
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    The mint has always had a problem on large struck coins. Look at Peace and Ikes for a good reference. It is difficult to find large quantities of these coins with strong strikes. The reverse die is fixed and obverse is pressed or struck in the fixture.
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file