Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

SLAB GUYS...TWO QUESTIONS

Question #1: Is this a common PCI slab?

Question #2: Does PCI make up their own varieties? Look at how this coin is listed "1989 NO VDB"

J.C.

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an older slab... before the green ones...

What the hell is No VDB?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I can't answer your questions, but I like the slab. Did you buy it?

(edited to add): I've not seen that style of holder before.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    No VDB is a common "variety". The dies get filled or worn. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    I had a few slabs like that but sold them all. Can't help with the No VDB
  • Options
    Thanks guys. The cent comes form dies that were extremely polished. You can see a criss-cross of polish marks all over the fields on the obverse, especially. It was polished enough that the V.D.B. is gone. I imagine this is a relatively common occurance. I had never seen one of these slabs before, though. Just checking.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Options
    This is the first generation PCI slab since the photo on the right has the grade printed on it. PCI must have slabbed a whole group of these no VDB cents, since I have about 2-3 that I have picked off ebay in the last 3-4 months. There must be alot more out there also.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I have one of these as well and have seen several others. That slab variety is slightly scarce just due to its age but if you keep your eyes open they show up often enough that they don't deserve a premium. As to the No VDB, these made a big splash back in 1989 and briefly ran up to $25 or so apiece but so many showed up, mainly of 1989 but other years as well, that the price quickly fell back down to the $2 range and the "variety" was quickly forgotten. It is caused by excessive polishing of the die and is often accompanied by poor striking.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file