Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Okay, I got my ANA ballot today, and my vote can be had for...

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
...a nice Accented Hair or two. image Just kidding!

If anybody knows anything about these candidates, (except Will, already voting for him), I'm all ears - actually eyes since this is a BBS.

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    maddogalemaddogale Posts: 859 ✭✭
    how about our friend who took on ACG???
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>how about our friend who took on ACG??? >>

That's Barry Stuppler.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Kay Lenker is running for VP.....one of my local coin club members. Has been deeply involved in ANA as well as California State NA for years. Experienced and incredibly knowledgable....image from me
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barry Stuppler definitely has my vote for what he took on with ACG.
  • Options
    maddogalemaddogale Posts: 859 ✭✭
    thanks, Krank.....I couldn't think of his name for the life of me...image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, forgot about Stuppler. That's two, five more to go.

Johnny,

Marking my vote for Lenker right now.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ, et. al.:

I actually had some time yesterday when I was studying what the candidates said in the latest issue of Numismatist. I'll give you my opinions, but I would truly enjoy seeing other people's opinions:

President: Gary Lewis.
    Mr. Lewis seems to have a lot more depth in the area of coins. What turned me off of Ms. Finner is the line in which she says "She doesn't buy or sell coins." I can appreciate the fact that as a result she has a lot of independence, but personally I'd prefer someone who has been a collector. That said, however, this decision of mine is not held too strongly.

Vice President: William Horton
    Mr. Horton is concerned about the endowment and rebuilding it. I think this is of paramount importance. Ms. Lenker lists education, exhibiting, and encouraging new collectors as her platform. I see this list as a series of platitudes.

Governor:
    Will Rossman--I was impressed with his post two years ago after he lost the election for president in which he urged us to band behind the winner, John Wilson. I also was impressed when I asked him aboput two issues that weighed on my mind: The law suit that the ANA faced about their auctions and the expenditure of large sums of money from the endowment. Mr. Rossman also posts here and is the only candidate who does so.

Barry Stuppler--How can you not vote for someone who took on ACG?

Alan Herbert--Though from his writing I suspect he is likely quite egotistical, I strongly agree with his suggestions to up-grade the ANA website. He has a number of good...no, I'd say great!..ideas for the ANA website. Plus, if in case he is egotistical, so what? I don't have to work with him....image

Donald Kagin--While many candidates suggest that their main goal is adding to the membership roles, Mr. Kagin lists several innovative ideas. I was postiively impressed when I read the list of his suggestions.

John Wilson--I am weakly in favor of Mr. Wilson. I think the ANA generally progressed under his leadership, but it didn't progress as much as I would have liked. Plus I think the decision of the ANA to reprimand Mr. Stuppler in the ACG case was misguided. Given the testimony that has been published on various websites, it seems clear to me that Mr. Stuppler ought not to have had any sort of sanction. But, it's clearly not fair to blame soley Mr. Wilson for this decision because 1) I have no idea how he voted; and 2) there were others involved. But because of this decision, I am not enthusiastic about voting for any incumbent when I have a choice to vote for a fresh face.

Well, we can vote for 7 governors and I have tentatively decided on only 5. So, what are other people's opinions?

Mark

Mark

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am ttt-ing this thread because I would really like to read what other people think of the candidates. I know none of them personally, so all I have to go on is the limited amount they wrote in Numismatist and what I know otherwise. So, what do others think of the candidates?

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    I second Gary Lewis for President.

Everyone please vote if you are an ANA member!

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I plan on voting for Patti Finner, for President. I met her recently, and talked to her over supper. She did use to have a nice coin collection, but has turned her interests from collecting coins, into helping out in other areas of numismatics. She helps run a lot of the big shows, ie: Long Beach, etc. just behind the sidelines.

She and her husband also drove over 200 miles to help me start a coin club, all at her expense stating that local clubs are the foundation of the hobby. While she was here (stayed overnight in town) she didn't mention once about herself running for Presidnet. I didn't find that out until several months later. For her not to promote herself, shows a lot of her character to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file