Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Vietnam War Veterns Coin Giveaway Update: Winner in title thread

I was born in 1965 so am to young to have served or even remember the Vietnam war. But I served 7 years in the military and have studied the war. I have the utmost respect and gratitude for those who served and no amount of thanks could ever express how I feel. With that said I would like to give a member here who did serve a 1994 Vietnam Commemorative Dollar Graded PCGS MS69.

If you wish please speak up and tell us when you served and the unit served in. I would never be able to pick a winner so all names will be put in a hat and I will draw a winner at random on Thursday evening.

Winner
I put all those that responded and stated what they wished (keep it, sell and donate to a charity, count me in) in the drawing My son pulled BigBucNutts name out as the winner. He thinks I should keep it and after some thought he may be right. So I will (I did just give away 5 PCGS coins in the YN coin giveaway contest image ). This whole thing did not work out as I had planned but that’s ok. I am going to make a donation to the Disabled American Veterans in Honor of the CU US Coin Form VietNam Veterans.

Thanks to all for your participation and sacrifice.

Deadhorse I have sent you a PM.
Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Comments

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty decent of you Bill.... on a different note you were born in 65? From your posts I have read I thought you were a much older grumpier collector.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    stman,

I have my moments but grumpy? image
    Bill

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Bill

Nice Tribute. Here's an image of the proof version. One of the nicer modern commem designs IMHO
  • Options
    That's a very nice thing for you to do Bill. I'm a Nam Vet . And I used to be ashamed to say that. I was in country from 66 till 67 with the 25th INF Div. I appreciate your respect for everybody who served there and came home to so much chaos. Alot of good people didn't come home. It was a very troubling era. When I was discharged, I flew home is civilian clothes so people wouldn't know that I was a vet. At least the guys who served now and continue to serve will get the respect they all deserve. I don't want the coin but just wanted to say thanks from me and all the other vets who really do appreciate your feelings. God Bless You!

Ed
    eddye_2001
  • Options
    well i wasn't in Vietnam ,but to all the men/women who did BRAVO ZULU, I did sever my time in the Navy as a boiler tech. (bt) on board the USS TARAWA LHA-1 during desert storm WISH I WAS STILL IN but i became sick with CHRON'S and they had to medcial discharge me image. and every since i was in when i hear the national anthem or any U.S song with power or feel behind it I get all choked up. I'm proud that i severed our counrty and would do it all over again the sweat,blood,no sleep , missing family, and out to sea for weeks/ months . EVERY YOUNG MAN SHOULD SPEND AT LEAST 2-4 YEARS IN THE ONE OF THE FORCES !! gives you direction in life and you get to exploer the would
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well this could really start a poltical debate between people that think we should have never been there and the people that supported the US involvement in this "Police Action".

Well anyway here goes with just some minor history about how I ended up over there when really if I would have not got PO'ed at my girl friend at the time and renounced my College deferment I never would have been there.

1968 to 1971

First tour in the Beautiful place was in the Mekong Delta with the 9th Division. Was attached to the Navy with what was called the Mobile Riverean Force. Patrolled the waterways in those WWII landing crafts. Wow such Fun that was. NOT. Made it through that tour and went to Fort Knox, Kentucky. Well that could only be handled for about 6 months so I put in to go back to the Beautiful place. This time I ended up in DaNang. Heck this is when I found out Viet Nam had hills. The first whole tour not a single hill was seen. In Danang I was suppose to be a computer operator for the supply section. Never did do that as they thought a Post Exchange Manager was more important. Ran the PX for 6 months then a person showed up that had the correct MOS so I was banished to the Local Beach to be a Life Guard. Man that was Rough. The Beach also had the favorite Bar for all of the enlisted people. Some time was spent there also. After 14 months in DaNang, more than the usual 12 months because I wanted out of the Army Real Bad, this Dude finally came home to Freedom he thought.

Got home to Oregon and went back to my job at the Army Depot, Umatilla Army Depot which some of you may have heard of as Nerve Gas is or was stored there, and guess what. They needed people to got to the Beautiful place to help ship equipment out of the country. Property Disposal they called it. Actually as I understand quite a few of the Barges this equipment was put on Sunk.. More Tax dollars down the drain as usual. Anyway yours truly went back for a third time. Only 6 months this time but that was enough.

There you have it. Basically 4 wasted years out of a life for a cause that failed. Lets hope history does not repeat itself in reference to the situation we are in now.

Actually some Fun was had if you can really believe it. Sorrow was had also, which is really believable.

Ken
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what a nice giveaway. I was born in 69 so I wasn't able to serve then either, but I did serve in the Air Force with the 7th Organizational Maint Squadron, 7th Bomb Wing out of Carswell AFB during the first Gulf War. I am currently working on a proof set of all of the armed forces commems, in memory of my grandfather who was wounded during the D-Day invasion. The MS version would make a nice addition and then I could expand the set to include the rest of the MS as well. I think it should go to a VietNam vet though.........

Eddye is right, the US has never really done right by the VietNam Vets. I still wear the POW bracelet my mom wore back then.....it's sad how many people of my generation and younger have no clue what it means. I saw the VietNam Memorial several years ago for the first time, and I'm not ashamed to admit, I had tears rolling down my face the whole time. My grandfather told me once, years ago, to always be proud of any service you do, and he was right. I have stopped people wearing anything signifying they are a vet and shook their hand and told them thank you. Thank You Eddye and FairlaneMan!
    imageimage

• Options
    My dad was 4th Infantry Division in country 1969-70. A lot of my life has been affected one way or another by his service there. I spent 8 years in the Army Reserves but compared to what our VFW's faced I don't really even feel like I did anything. That said, I'm glad to know someone else also respects these guys and gives them recognition. It's been my experience that small tokens of appreciation such as this are very well taken. I gave my dad this very coin in raw state in its original box. It's now displayed at his house with his other Vietnam Memorabilia (sp?) Thanks Bill!! Hope that coin goes to a good home.
    Glock: the original point and click interface.
    The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others.
    Guns have only two enemies, rust and liberals.
    Criminals love gun control, it makes their profession safer.
    If guns are outlawed can we use swords?
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
  • Options
    Fairlaneman,

I do hope this does not turn into a big political debate. To me it is really irrelevant wether the police action was justified or not. That is politics and a soldier is not a politician. The Vietnam veterans answered the call regardless of their own views or opinions and did what was asked of them by their Government right or wrong and many paid the ultimate price for it. For that they all including you get my utmost respect and thanks.
    Bill

• Options
    Bill:

I hope it does not either, turn into a political debate.

The times are very different now than they were back then. Even though a person served his country apparently some folks failed to realize that this is what the person was doing. I never ran into this negative feeling from people as I was raised in a rural area of Oregon where duty to your country, whether be it popular or unpopular, was appreciated. All of the Veterans that returned from VietNam in our area of Oregon were greeted with open arms.

I did not want the post I made to have any negative effect but also I wanted some truthful statements in it also.

Ken
  • Options
    nalamolly5nalamolly5 Posts: 671 ✭✭
    hi bill, great thing you are doing. born in 61, so i was too young, had quite a few relatives there, it was a scary time. many came back quite different after what they had been through. was in the coast guard from 79-83, so please do not include me. it was during that time that people began to give tribute to anyone in uniform again. thanks for doing this for a vietnam vet!
  • Options
    Let me just say this! I wasn't rich and I wasn't in college then so I got drafted. I'm form Pennsylvania and in the neighboring 3 counties, we had a very high rate of Viet Nam Veterans. When a recruiter would call my house about my kids enlisting, I told him never to call back and they understood. When I got back to the world, I went to Fort Ord, CA from where I was discharged. While there, I encountered some hippies who spit on me one night when I was in uniform and I beat the hell out of them. That's why I flew home in civilian clothes. When I was watching tv, I couldn't believe my eyes. Bottom-line is that I got drafted, served and I was lucky enough to come home. The scars I carry within my heart live with me everyday. And they did try to get me to re-up. Served us a big juicy steak one night and wanted us to re-enlist. One tour was enough for me. Sorry Fairlane, but I always thought who ever went back for another tour was nuts or had a gravy gig. But don't take that personally! Everybody that served there is my brother or sister. Ed
    eddye_2001
  • Options
    Hey Eddye.....

First Time......My CIB says I had a gravy gig.....whatcha think ?

Second time.....Half Nuts, Half Gravy

Thrid Time.....The Money !

• Options
    Hey Fairlane. No gravy gig but I might go along with the half nuts part. HAHA! As far as the money end of it, I would rather have worked in the coal mines than go back to that hell hole. But I will tell you that I always wanted a season vet next to me to cover my back. I had this E6, 3 tour guy named Torres from DC area. He saved my a-- more than I can recall. It was always the unexpected Fairlane. So quiet one sec and then the s--- hit the fan. You take care my brother. Always good to talk to a vet.
    Ed
    eddye_2001
  • Options
    It has been awhile since I have been there - yet in a moment - I arrive again - I was there - among men, some of whom are mentioned only by their names carved in stone on a black wall. I had the privilege of serving with them and calling them my friend and brother. For that I am grateful and will always be thankful. I will never forget and I will always remember - those who never tired of unselfishness and bravery beyond anything I have witnessed anywhere else.

5th SF B-42 (Chau Doc) '67, MACV- SOG CCN FOB2 (Kontum - Yard Camp) '68

Keep the coin yourself---- it means more to you than you realize.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Well,what you are doing is great.I'll throw my name in the hat.1st Marine Air Wing Security Element Da Nang Vietnam.1972
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    ksteelheaderksteelheader Posts: 11,777
    I served in that time period. Never got over there though. Served most of my time on staff at the U. S. Navy Hospital in Philadelphia. I spent 12-16 hour days working on the Amputee Ward. That was an eye opening experience in its self....................Ken
  • Options
    Vietnam era vet (never went to Vietnam) from 1974-1976 USN
  • Options
    Hey Bill,

Very nice gesture on your part. As a Viet Nam vet, I appreciate your recognition of those that served their country in a not so popular "war"(hey, if it really was a war, does anyone doubt a different outcome?).
    I have visited "The Wall" and spent time with buddies that I lost over there. It's an awesome feeling. The coin is a great "reminder" of the losses that our country incured there. I bought proof and circ. sets from the mint when they first came out. All three circs. were graded MS69 by PCGS, but the proofs were'nt nice enough to submit. I hope to obtain them someday in PR69.
    If my name gets "in the hat" and happens to get picked, please eBay the coin and donate the proceeds to "Doctors Without Borders".

Thanks again for a very nice gesture. A classy act! image

Don

1st Air Cav. (Infantry) '68 - '69
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    I went to Clark Afb for 6 months in 64 and 65 we flew daily sorties thru VietNam almost every day.
    When I got back to the states i got orders to go to Naha AFB for 18 months in 65 to 66.
    We carried whatever to whereever then at night would go to Thiland. Next day samo-samo.
    I was a crew member on a C-130-a.
    When I got out I didn't pay much attention to the war or the news. I lived in a small town where the GI bashing was not happening. I never braged about being in but I didn't deny it either.
    Since I was never stationed in Nam I don't consider myself as a potential canidate for the coin.
    I do think it is a good idea that you have and I admire you for it.
    Don >^< (o_/|_o)
    If it can be misspelled
    I already have
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Bill,

I agree with BigBuckNutts. Keep the coin (yeah, I know, you promised to give it away, but we could start a poll on that alone, couldn't we? image). As a Vietnam Vet, I thank you for your sentiments! Unlike the gentleman from Oregon, the East Coast citizens weren't so kind to returning Vietnam Vets. They were totally confused as to who the real enemy was.

GaCoinGuy: I was at Carswell from 1989-1992, CBPO.

Bob

Tan Son Nhut AB, RVN 1968-1969 (Emergency Room medic)
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Hi, Bill:

What a great idea for a giveaway! I'm too young to have served in Vietnam, but I did catch Gulf War, part I, as an Army public affairs officer (okay, all you real combat vets can laugh now) image. My father served in-country twice as a helicopter pilot, the first time with the 173rd Airborne Brigade and the second with the 1st Cavalry Division, so if you want to enter me on his behalf, thanks.

Chuck image
  • Options
    TTT
    Bill

• Options
    TTT
    Bill

• Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    My few months in Da Nang as an aircraft electrition does nat come close to what some of these guys went through. I want to thank you for giving these guys the respect they deserve.
    Seems the coin means more to you that you think. Keep it, it'll remind you of the guys and gals who served over there.
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    TTT
    Bill

• Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    I lost more friends than I can count over there, including my best friend growing up in high school.

I think that is a great idea, but you might consider auctioning it with the procedes to go to the DAV.

I make donations twice a year in my buddy's name. I still can't bring myself to go to the wall and look him up, though my Mother has gone and told me she found him.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Very nice gesture.

I entered the USAF as the final Nam vets (careerists) were probably retiring (1977) and my first assignment was Clark AB Republic of the Philippines, so I encountered a few, particularly those who retired out in WestPac. Still had a few of those guys instructing the ABGD program at Camp Bullis, TX, and I loved it.

As a lifer myself, I could never get caught up in ANY politics that in anyway reflects less than positively for ANY Soldier, Sailor, Airmen or Marine - we do what we do because that's what we signed up to do. The politicians play the game - we follow orders.

If this event is open to all Vets, put my name in the hat; if it is for the Nam Vets only -- good luck guys, and here's another Hand Salute to my comrades.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    TTT
    Bill

• Options
    uh...the guy down the streets cousin served does tat count?
  • Options
    Tom Gilliams 1st MAW MATCU 66 USMC Active - 1967-1971; in country 1969/1970. Lost 80 Marines of the 120 Marines that went through Parris Island with me. Most gave their lives for our country within 1 year of graduating from boot camp. These men are the still unsung hero's of the twentieth century.

Our suffering did not cease when we left Nam, No Flags, No Parades, No Thank You's and most of ALL No Respect. That was the "world" we returned to. But a sarcred bond joins every Viet Nam Vet, we are brothers that lived through hell, But the pride we have for each other and our service to this great nation has made all of us better men and women.

Let us all remember the 58,000+ patriots that made the ulitimate sacrafice, so that men and women, like ourselves may live Free!!! We may be the forgotten hero's of the 20th Century, but the brotherhood we share today, made every moment we served precious. And you will not find a better man or woman than our Viet Nam veterans. I'm proud to be a Marine and to have served this great nation, but, most importantly a member of this elite group.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Bill: I salute you giveaway, as well as all who served! Semper Fi.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice idea, WWB.

I'm too young- a '65 model, like yourself.

Somebody should do a Korean War spinoff giveaway for a Korean War vet.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Winner announced in title thread
    Bill

• Options
    TTT
    Bill

• Options
    hey Ken my Uncle was on a River patrol boat, CTF 212. just a coincedence.

Jacob
    I am the coin man give me your coins!!! You can find me on the web soon at
    http://www.SouthGaCoins.com/
  • Options
    TTT one more time.............
    Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file