Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Am I taking too much of a risk by bidding on this coin?

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from that pic! Where are those Lincoln guys when you need them!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    ksteelheaderksteelheader Posts: 11,777
    Hard to even tell its a Lincoln, then yet proof. Wouldn't bid on this unless allowed to get verification of authenticity from one of the big three....Ken
  • Options
    like mad marty said it is hard to tell from that pic. but i would say yes
  • Options
    It is a risk I wouldn't take. Poor image. Low feedback. It might be hard to tell a matte proof from a proof-like coin.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt touch that coin
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask him to send a better scan.Al
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Ask for a hi res., well lit pic. If you don't get it, don't bid.
  • Options
    Stay awawy, especially with a rating of 1.
    Merc collector.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bid based on those photos.

The seller has a single feedback - he sold a dateless coin listed in the Standing Lib quarter category. The microscopic obverse photo could have been from an SLQ, but the reverse photo was of a Barber half. So I wouldn't presume the seller is qualified to determine whether a 1909 VDB Lincoln is a Matte proof.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The risk here is HUGEimage

You have really got to know what you are doing when it comes to Matt Proof Lincoln cents. If you can't spot that the coin has the proper sharpness and rims, you could get stuck on this even you could see the coin in person. This is a coin that novice collectors should buy in slabs from the big three companies. Even some dealers get fooled by these coins.

You can't tell squat from the picture.image If you want to chance it that the seller will let you return it if it flunks at the services, go ahead. But I would say away BIG TIME. image As a seller I would NEVER offer this coin raw on Ebay. There are too many complications. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    To say it in a mild manner, DONT DO IT!!!!!
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭
    I highly doubt that it is a proof.

In addition notice that the underbidder retracted his bid and then bid again.

Did he manage to get you to your max?

It looks like a set-up to me and I would retract my bid.

I don't see anything good coming out of this auction.

IMHO. Joe.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much do you like gambling? The seller has only one feedback-- and this is from selling one other coin, a dateless liberty quarter!! Although you never know for sure..... I seriously doubt that the Lincoln is truely a proof, given the seller history to this point. IMHO.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    I emailed the guy the day he posted the auction, I asked him how HE knew it was a proof......He has yet to answer. needless to say, I will not bid on it.

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Proofs from 1909 are matte. That coins looks like a wiz job, stay away, the color looks off as well.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    are you bidding sight-unseen? that's the only question of any import

K S
  • Options
    I can't even tell if it is a 1909, let alone a proof. Would take some major stones to bid very high on that with just the info provided.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Most definitely
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    Thanks for all your opinions, I decided to retract my bid image
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you're smart to retract.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    Wow - did you check out the coin he sold to get the 1 feedback on?

It is a mule - standing liberty obverse and barber reverse.

I will bid a couple bucks - like an old friend once told me, he would pay a couple bucks to see a monkey piss on a rope.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly rd5425 was at $76. when he retracted his bid so squealing must have a $75. bid.

It will be interesting to see if squealing retracts his bid and make you the high bidder. image

Joe.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    rd
    IMHO that is not a Matte Proof.Based on color and poor quality pic and only 1 feedback.DON"T BID.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have wasted a few on that muleimage.Al
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I would NOT -- repeat not -- bid on this coin. Auction smells!image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    Anybody: DO NOT bid on that coin! Instead PM me....I have hundreds of "proof" 09-VDB Lincolns that I will sell for only $100 each. image

The seller in this auction is probably 11 years old. I remember when I was a 11 year old collector. I bought a whole group of highly polished Lincolns from a classmate. I remember that he stole them from his father. I thought that I struck it rich, since all of the coins were so shiny. I remember that I was certain that they were all proofs.....even the 1919 and the 1917. Man, according to the price guides, those babies where worth a fortune. I eventually sold them for about 1.5 cents each.
  • Options
    Absolutely amazing!!!!

The bid is back to $76. (Of course we all knew that squealing bid was $75 after rd5425 retracted his bid)

I look forward to reading the feedback. image

Joe.
  • Options
    This auction has all the signs of being a big mistake for anyone bidding.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file