Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you carry a lucky coin?

Just curious, if you do now or have in the past.

I used to years ago - a 1979 SBA -> then someone told me they were unlucky.

Now I think I will again but can't decide on what.

What is yours - and why?

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking about doing that if I can just remember what coin I had in my pocket last time I visited a flea market.

Russ, NCNE
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    I have had a 1893 S Morgan in my pocket for the last 6 years. darn thing is almost smooth.
  • TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    I have a 1877 Trade dollar and a 1834 Bust Half with holes that I keep on my key chain. Both coins were xf/au when I got them and are now VF. I've been carrying them around for about 15 years.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Nope, never tried to carry a lucky coin. Coins with me will be spent if not in a holder...
  • I carry a 1864 2c piece that was mixed in with some foreign coins I bought for my granddaughter. It was a G-4 in the beginning.image
    Gary
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I moved the coin below into an Air-Tite holder and now have it as my pocket piece. It is a 1/10 troy ounce gold Vault Protector coin minted in 1982 by the China Mint (mintage 1500). In the olden days, Chinese Emperors kept Vault Protector coins to protect their treasures and to bring them good luck and good fortune. image

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • scherscher Posts: 924
    i carry a 1911 ten dollar gold coin..its in nice shape and i love the desing ..i have started a collection of this series in proof.
    bruce scher
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    An old 80-s circulated morgan. 1st coin my Grandfather gave me when I was around 8 years old. I only carry it when Im travelling so its always in my passport bag.

My ebay coin/card auctions
    YCCTidewater.com
  • I carry pocket pieces but I don't consider them lucky. Although, I have yet to be killed when I have been carrying one.

I pick from the folowing selections on any given day:

Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    I carry a 1921 Morgan, given to me by my Grandfather about 45 years ago.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • I just started carrying an 1879 Morgan in my golf bag. She's there to mark my ball! I also have one of my toned War jeffs that I did't think would get the NGC* in my car! Silly, I know.....
    K

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
    moments that take our breath away.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I used to years ago - a 1979 SBA -> then someone told me they were unlucky. >>

Not unlucky... just ugly image

I carry the dime I get at lunch from lunch until I get home image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Used to carry a Peace Dollar that when flipped would land tails up more often than not. This was back when it was popular for a customer to finish his negotiation with "I'll flip you for the difference" and more often than not call heads when I tossed the coin.

For some reason that practice has died out around here
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    sinn1
    I carry 1874 Trade Dollar with a hole in it.It was given to me by a fellow board member.I hope to have it restored someday.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I carry a 1902-O Morgan in my wallet. I found the coin when we were closing my grandparents house after my grandmother passed away. Lucky? maybe, but more of a reminder of where I came from. Its all about family.
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    Hey Boz I have a 1921 Morgan as a key chain that my grandfather gave to me about 30 years ago!!

As for a lucky coin, I found a toned AT 1923-S Peace $, dipped the color off and now carrying it around with me everyday. It's quite a conversation piece.

Michael
  • MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    An 1898-S I keep in my wallet.
    A good way to break the ice.
  • RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    1878 Morgan and a 1993 silver Maple Leaf in a bag I carry around frequently.
  • I like to use a mercury dime as a ball marker when I golf. I also carry a walking liberty half money clip from my father.
    When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
  • JRJR Posts: 476
    I carry an 1883 Morgan Silver Dollar around with me. Not so much for luck, but to see how long it will take for the coin details to be worn down smooth.
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Kim your post reminded me. I keep circulated Mercurys in my golf bag for green marking. A morgan would seem to big for this with my golfing buddies.image
    YCCTidewater.com
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    FrattLaw,
    I thought about putting it on my keychain also, but just don't have the heart to drill the hole. So I just carry it in my pocket for now.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • I carry a military challenge coin---since 1968
  • scherscher Posts: 924
    mikey that is so funny..i hust last month bought that exact truck same color too..its the first american vehicle i have bought in yrs.. im a ferrari guy other than an old 57 chev. all ferrari's and 1 new SS pickup as pictured..
    bruce scher
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had "lucky" coins before. Three of them in fact (not all at the same time). They were:

1. A thoroughly original and appealing Fine 1849 dollar. I showed it to a friend at a show, and a passerby saw it and offered me money. The money was good enough, so I guess it was lucky for me!

2. A problem-free 1852 (original) dollar in EF. I don't recall if it actually brought me good luck. It is now put away and has not seen the light of day in quite some time.

3. An eye appealing and, IMO, problem-free minus the light corrosion specimen of the 1873-CC W/A dime in EF (net, AU details). Like #1, it too has found a new home. I hope she is happy with her new master.

I've been deliberating on which coin of mine should next be a "lucky" pocket piece. It has to be raw, but it can be in a flip. Hmmm...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• I carry a NJ State Police challenge coin and havn't gotten a ticket in some time.
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I carry a circulated Barber half in my wallet for luck, and it seems to have been working quite well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file