Home U.S. Coin Forum

How do they put the reeded edge on coins?

Just curious! I can't recall ever reading about it......Ken

Comments

• byergobyergo Posts: 586
    It made it obvious if someone tried to shave precious metals from the rim.
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Well, there are 2 steps to producing the edge. The first is when the blank goes through the upset mill. This process squeezes the blank a little to produce a rim. When the planchet enters the coining press, it is slid over an anvil die. The planchet sits on it. Around the planchet is a collar that contains the design (reeded in this case) that will be on the third side. The hammer die then strikes down on the planchet and anvil die and heats up the coin surface, which flows into all the available voids which produces the obverse, reverse, and edge.
  • Latest issue of Coin World speaks to this, pp 52 on the 6/16 issue.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As NWCS outlined, it's the "third" die.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    U.S. coins since 1836 have had the reeded edge placed upon them when they were struck. The reeding is in the collar.

Early U.S. (half dime, dime quarter and all gold pieces) had the reeding added though a separate operation. The planchets were run though a milling machine that placed the reeding on the edge before the coins were struck. The same type of machine, which had the markings on two large strips, was used to place the lettering on the edge for half dollars and silver dollars.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Planchets are punched from strip, but these have to be "upset" before they are coined.
    Upsetting is rolling the planchet edgewise between two heavy rollers which are too close
    together for it to fit. This reduces the diameter a little and pushes up extra metal along
    the edge which will form the rim and allow the reeding to fully form. Without the rim the
    coins would not stack properly. The reeding itself is formed by a devise which retains the
    metal in the proper diameter during strike.

Planchets are type 1's before being upset and are then type 2's.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file