Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1996-W Roosie Question???

Just received in the mail a 1996-W Roosie PCGS MS67 that I got on eBay. I know that these were only made in the annual mint set.

I just don't know WHY the mint added these to the set. Were they ever intended for circulation? Were they going to be for a special mint program ie: Coin & Currency Set, or were they just bored at West Point and had to fill their time?

I've looked for the past hour for an answer and have not found one yet. So I decided to come where answers flow like the rivers.

Comments

• Options
    smprfismprfi Posts: 874
    They were done as a 50th anniversary special.
  • Options
    I believe it was a commemorative to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the design. It was never meant to circulate.

I had qualms about including it in my set but I did anyway. Although, more for the W mint mark which goes well with my mint mark set of coins.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Thanks

Was the mint set marked as the 50th Anniv of the Roosie and marketed as such or was it just an added surprise?
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    John:

The above statements are correct, they were included to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the start of Roosie dime production, but there was also a little marketing evildoing on the part of the mint. Mint sales had been down in the mid 90's for mint sets, so someone go the bright idea of the 96W dime to boost sales, just like in 87 halves were mint set only issues, so the purpose was not merely celebratory - knowhatimeanvern? image

Frank
  • Options
    Thanks Frank
    And yes, I know what you mean.
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    I wholeheartedly agree with the cigar smoking dog. Same thing with the Botanical set,Kennedy collector set, Jefferson set, Millenium set etc. Just ways for the mint to make some extra money.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I have 2 of those mint sets and they do have a special mention of the W marked dime in them.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    West Point and San Francisco are the locations of the governments strategic stockpile of silver

They must have decided to have the mint become a profit generating operation by having CHUMP colletors buy $1 worth of silver for $30.

I wonder if that is where the coin vault seller got his idea?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "W" dime was included in the set as a "freebie". There was no additional
    charge for this set. The mint has been trying to get people interested in coin
    collecting for several years now and actually have a significant budget for just
    this purpose. The "W" dime is said to have been the brainchild of former mint
    director Phillip Diehl. He once said that it was intended to reward the loyal long
    term mint set buyer. While it certainly accomplished this goal it did little to spur
    mint set sales. Mintage was up a little in '96, but was right back down to new
    lows in subsequent years. It is ironic that sales of these sets are so very low
    when they are essentially the sole source of high grade moderns.

These coins were just added to the '96 set in a small plastic holder and a card
    indicating that it was struck to mark the 50th anniversary of the Roosy dime. The
    card is thin and folded and the dime was often shipped between the folds. Some
    of the dimes were shipped in other places inside this "busy" set and can be sur-
    prisingly difficult to locate. When buying the set always be sure the dime is there.
    It is much of the value of the set.

These coins come quite well struck for a clad but the really attractive coins still tend
    to be elusive. This dime can be found PL with a full strike with essentially no marking.
    About the top 4% stand out above the rest and the spectacular coins are found among
    these. Prices at the wholesale level has been rather bouyant of late and offers over
    $14 are common.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Cladking

Thank you for the comprehensive answer. The pool of knowledge on this forum is outstanding.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file