Home U.S. Coin Forum

GNA coin show (and debut of the slab caddy)

RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
I spent all day yesterday in Dalton, GA, for the GNA meeting and had the best coin collecting time of my life!

Aside from my 4 newps, two from Doug Winter and two from board member "Dahlonega", I had a blast sitting at a table with Doug and "Dahlonega", looking at all the gold coins they had with them, quite a haul, but a lot of the folks at the show brought their gold coins for Doug and "Dahlonega" to see. It was all quite impressive to me. "Dahlonega" was most impressed with the fact that we had two 1861-O $20's together at one time, mine that I brought with me and another (a nice PCGS AU-53).

The theme for the show for me was, of course, southern gold. The Southern Gold Society Annual Meeting was held yesterday afternoon. It was an informal gathering, attended by 15-20 people. Coins were passed around, the Charlotte mint (the topic for the meeting) was discussed, and questions were fielded mainly by Doug and Carl Lester, who has done high quality research on the history of the southern branch mints. There were "party favors" given out by Doug and Al Adams (Gold Rush Gallery).

As for the show, the activity seemed quite brisk to me. A large throng of people were there well before the 10:00 AM opening of the bourse. A number of gold coins changed hands right before my eyes. There was more branch mint gold present than one would typically see at a local or regional St. Louis show. Vendors of state quarters, Morgans, Walkers, and type coins all seemed fairly busy until the mid-afternoon, when activity seemed to stall.

Overall, I had a great time in Dalton, and the show was definitely worth the 7 hour drive and overnight for me.

Comments

• FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Robert:

Glad you got to spend sometime with my good friend Dahlonega - I was going to go to the show as well but unfortunately got sidetracked. I was fortunate enough to see David, Carl and Al at the Atlanta show a couple of weeks ago and saw some of the Dahlonega beauties you're referring to. Just sitting around and listening to those guy is a learning experience onto itself! image

Frank
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, those three guys are a wealth of information.

By the way, my slab caddy made its debut in Dalton. I left for Dalton with 2 slabs, 1 flip, and a loupe in the caddy. I returned with 5 slabs in one caddy! Is that a record, Russ? If nothing else, it is sign the of a good show!image
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Just got back from the show about an hour ago. I spent an hour with those guys today and like you had one of the best coin collecting times of my life. Dahlonega pulled out several of the most amazing coins; Rare D mint Gold, patterns, High Relief Saint in MS65, Wire and Rounded Rim 1907 Indian Eagles, too many to remember. I was like a kid in a candy store, and what amzing candy it was. It would have been enough to just hold and study these rarities but I got the added benefit of Dahlonega sharing his incredible numismatic knowledge in the nuances of each. A great day for me in collecting. Thanks Dahlonegaimage
    FatMan,

Sorry I missed you. I saw so may wonderful coins that I forget about the 1907 eagle pair and the MS-66 high relief Saint! It was almost like being in a coin museum.
    I see Dahlonega pulled out the big guns for this show - good for him! He's a heckuva good guy and is willing to share his vast knowledge with all comers. That's always good to see at coin shows!
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    RYK
    Sorry I missed you too. I was there on Friday but was very busy buying. I spent much of Saturday in the mingling mode.
    Frank, sorry you didn't make it to the show. It was really quite good. I had the chance to meet the guy (name escapes me) who heads up the Alabama Club. He talked me into attending to the Alabama Show in Birmingham next month even though its only two weeks ahead of Baltimore. He said it was sold out and based on the action at the GNA he felt it would be one of their best. Maybe I'll see you there.
    Perhaps, a coin acquired at the GNA will stimulate discussion regarding the show, gold coins, or slab caddies...
    imageimage

...courtesy of board member Dahlonega.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Just the type of coin that deserves a Slab Caddy™! image

Russ, NCNE
  • Great show and great people. RYK and Fatman are cordial, friendly and very savvy...highlight of my show was meeting them. Did buy a nice 09-S VDB PCGS-65 Red for 20% more than last year. Guess I thought I would get to buy it cheaper this year...not. Corbitt Chandler bourse chairmen of B'ham show expects a good show..100 tables sold out. Usually a few really good coins pop up.
    Collect for enjoyment
  • addendum: I did talk Fatman and RYK into getting a copy of 'The Neighborhood Mint' after they have time to read it hope they will give us a book report. The history really adds to the enjoyment of a coin.
    Collect for enjoyment

<< <i>I did talk Fatman and RYK into getting a copy of 'The Neighborhood Mint' >>

For anyone that enjoys reading about the 1800's, the homespun era, and the inner workings of an early mint this book is excellent. I highly recommend it for both it's entertainment and informational value.

Frank

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file