Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Yeah -- a whole bunch of BBs! Except PCGS screwed 1 up!

How often is someone excited about getting nothing but BodyBags! This is the first submission for the CoinReports website and they were all Body Bagged. The Kennedys were obvious AT but PCGS did screw up on the 1981-S Lincoln, that one I pulled from a set so I know it has real color. But I guess when it gets submitted with a bunch of AT Kennedys, the grader is thinking AT, AT, AT so he just doesn't bother to look harder.

1 60091612 1997-D 50C Artificial Color
2 60091613 1971-D 50C Artificial Color
3 60091614 1997-D 50C Artificial Color
4 60091615 1991-D 50C Artificial Color
5 60091616 1991-D 50C Artificial Color
6 60091617 1997-D 50C Artificial Color
7 60091618 1976-D 50C Clad Artificial Color
8 60091619 1981-S 1C Type 2 Artificial Color

Thanks to Russ for the Kennedys! I'll get everyone posted as more grades come in. These will now be shipped for photography and examination.

Michael

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Darn. My coins were AT? Darn.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How often is someone excited about getting nothing but BodyBags! This is the first submission for the CoinReports website and they were all Body Bagged. The Kennedys were obvious AT but PCGS did screw up on the 1981-S Lincoln, that one I pulled from a set so I know it has real color. But I guess when it gets submitted with a bunch of AT Kennedys, the grader is thinking AT, AT, AT so he just doesn't bother to look harder. >>

So maybe coins are judged by the others in the same submission? I wonder what would happen if that same cent were submitted along with naturally toned coins.
  • Options
    Good point Clw54 and that's exactly what I will do with it -- resubmit it with NT coins. I have 2 other submissions in with a mix of AT and NT coins. I'm curious to see if graders can be biased by the general look of the coins.

Later I'll try to sneak an AT coin past them buried in a submission of NT coins.

It's my own little non-scientific AT/NT PCGS grading experiment. image

Michael
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I think that since some coins in the submission is bad, they look at the rest more closely.

You next couple submissions should be interseting with a mix of AT, questionable, good

I wonder if order of listing would matter? - I will start another thread on this.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Question?

Did Russ do the work on the Kennedys or did he purchase them AT? Enqiring minds want to know.image
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Thanks, Michael (and Russ), that is good to know. It will be interesting to see the results of the future submissions when the graders' AT antenna are not quivering quite as much on a long run of colorized coins ...
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Fats,

I bought them as a group from one of the slimeballs on eBay. Grabbed them with Michael's project in mind.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file