Home U.S. Coin Forum

Report from GSNA show in Dalton Ga

GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
Well, I made it up a couple hours after they opened the doors. Made a quick loop thru the bourse, saw some items of interest, also saw LOTS of empty cases. Loads of gold and the usual Morgans, Walkers, Barbers.........lots of pretty coins, but most as usual, way out of my budget. One thing I did notice and it's partly to blame for me leaving after only 2 hours or so. Lots of dealer-dealer dealing going on, which isn't a bad thing, but you would think that dealers would have the knowledge and courtesy to not cover another dealers cases with all their greysheets and books. I also found my first 2 opportunities to scratch a dealer off my "will buy from list"........more about these later. Was a nice sized show, maybe 150 tables, the BEP exhibit was real interesting, they had 2 specimen sheets of 12 uncut $100,000 bills. They were specimens, but still to see $2.4 million in cash..........A few displays were laid out for folks to vote on.......I had to cast my vote for what I think should have been titled "Lord Marcovans Wildest Dream". This guy had put together a complete date set of cents starting with 1856 FE and ending with a 1909 IHC.......an accomplishment in its own right, but these were all holed, the 1903 IH had like 7 holes in it. It had the key dates 1856 and 1877.

Now about the 2 dealers.........at each show I go to, I always search out 1969 proof sets. I ask this one guy who has loads of proof sets in one case if he had any 69s........his reply, "Yes" and then he tells me if I want to buy just those, he has to charge me double for them, cause they sell so cheap, he doesn't make much money off em. I replied that a small sale is better than no sale, and went on my way. The other, I was going thru a stack of about 25 1964 proof sets, when this guy starts covering up all of his cases, then simply takes the stack I was going through, including the 3 I had put aside to buy, and tosses em back into a case, covers it up and walks off.......doesn't say a word to me either..........I watch the guy, he walks over to the snack bar, gets a hot dog and a drink, goes back over to his table, sits down, and starts eating........I guess my penny ante purchases weren't worth his going hungry for 5 more minutes.

All in all, however, it was a nice show.......I prolly missed alot of nice coins, cause people were laying crap all over the cases, and there still some empty cases when I left at 3:30........I may try to get back up tomorrow and go over the bourse again.........

Oh, I did pick up a few 64 proof sets, no AHs, but the Kennedys should make 68 at least, real clean and no spots......got a couple 69 sets to yank the Kennedys and Jeffs out of, picked up a Korea, POW, and WW2 Comems all in PCGS PR69DCAM, a 15x/20x loupe, and a CherryPickers Guide.
imageimage

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might have to try and make future shows up there, sometime.

See? I'm not the only holey coin freak in the world! LOL

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • kieferscoinskieferscoins Posts: 10,017
    Any sample slabs? (see my sig line).

Cameron Kiefer
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't notice any sample slabs.........if I make it tomorrow, I'll look better.....as for the holey cent collection, the guy did put in his display that it took him 41 years to complete it and that a friend had bet him he couldn't do it with all holed coins.
    imageimage

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would have taken me about that long to get this far with holey coins, if it weren't for the Internet.

Holed Indian cents are actually tougher to do by date than the holed large cent set I'm working on for the back of my vest.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • That's interesting on the set of indians. I'm working on one too but all "problem" coins. I'm only missing 6 and I haven't spent more than $2 for each of the coins. Just something different I guess.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file