Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

shame on you dhrc

pops way too high for this price!!! image

seriously...they are making em way better...way more have come from the floodgates...theres people trying ta dump their early years for what they can get just not to get the shaft...im suprised but I guess youll feel the waters till ya get what ya can.

I will personally pay 200 each image

which is why I only have 1 image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Comments

• Options
    I'm wondering how long someone has to hold them to get a decent ROI.....
    K

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
    moments that take our breath away.
  • Options
    I know about all the "conflict of interest" talk about PCGS and DHRC, but does anyone else have a problem with this auction. Look @ the serial numbers, they all came from the same submission. Am I to believe that someone else picked 5 state quarters and all were PR70DCAMs when submitted. C'Mon!!!!!

Who here has submitted coins and have gotten 5 PR70DCAMs in one submission? The odds are mind-boggling. I think based upon the percentages you would have better luck with a lottery. Anyone know the math -- thinking that 1-2% of all state quarters submitted for this year will be 70DCAMs, what's the numerical likelihood of hitting 5 perfect coins.

Michael
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    I agree with Michael. There's just too much coincidence. There has to be insider grading going on or something. The only logical explanation is that a dealer submitted a large lot of them and they slabbed the PR69s and PR70s in order and then Hall offered to buy the coins from the dealer, then sell them for too much money.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    I realize that some on this forum my flame me for this but I would prefer to put my money into high grade pre 33 gold coins! JMHO image
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    Doesn't PCGS have a minimum grade option? I know some other services do - like check these coins for $X and slab the ones graded XX and higher.

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Oh come off it, some dealer submitted a bulk order if 500 proof sets, they are going to get PR70DCAMs. If DHRC buys them, that's not a conflict of interest!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    I'm with you eagle7!
    K

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
    moments that take our breath away.
  • Options
    MadMarty, Are you implying Homerun Hall is doing something Devious? You are BANNED from the forums!!image
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    David Hall has said that DHRC buys PCGS coins on the open market like everyone else.
    If there as accusation being made that they do submit directly and get sequential 70s, then its a serious one, and if true would obviously break PCGS.
    I do believe David Hall when he says that they do buy PCGS coins outright and don't make their own.
    I have no reason to believe that he is lying, considering he does not need to , since PCGS is so successful and David Hall is not starving or needs the money.

Brian.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    >>>>>Am I to believe that someone else picked 5 state quarters and all were PR70DCAMs when submitted.>>>>
    No, the odds are against that. But you can believe someone submitted 1,000 under the bulk pre-screen and specified not to holder the ones grading less than 70 so if your 1% math holds up there's 10 in consecutively numbered holders.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modern mint sets are occasionally busted up in very large lots. If true that 2% of these
    will grade PR-70 then only a few hundred sets would be required to get a handful of top
    grade specimens. These sets are sometimes broken up in much larger quantities than this.
    I've seen bag sets of proof cents offered for sale (that's 5,000). While modern sets have
    gotten difficult to obtain in significant quantities, many are busted up in huge lots.

2% would be a little high historically for the best proofs but processes change yearly and
    the quality of the top coins fluctuates also.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I recall seeing a bulk minimum grade 69DCAM submission once, and all the 69s were grouped together, as were all the 70s.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Not at all, Dealer A has 500 2003 proof sets, does a bulk submission and get a couple of PR70DCAMs for each date. DHRC buys the coins on the open market! Not devious about it. If I submitted 500 sealed proof coins I would expect a couple of 70 in the bunch!

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    When a coin is submitted it gets a coin # regardless is it actually makes it into a slab. Notice the coin numbers on any body bags?

Here are the sn's from that set:
    71620690 8 oins later
    71620692 2 coins later
    71620693 next coin
    71620697 4 coins later

Seems fishy to me, or there are some ultra lucky, or ultra great graders pre sceening coins.

• Options
    I know Tulving submits huge amounts of moderns for bulk grading but on his website he only sells PR69DCAM's. I have heard that DHRC buys all the PR70DC's that Tulving makes. This could explain the serial numbers.
  • Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554

<< <i>Here are the sn's from that set:
    71620690 8 oins later
    71620692 2 coins later
    71620693 next coin
    71620697 4 coins later >>

CHecking the cert verification for the some of coins inbetween shows a lot more 70's in there.
    71620684 2003-S Arkansas PF-70
    71620687 2003-S Arkansas PF-70
    71620688 2003-S Arkansas PF-70
    71620689 2003-S Arkansas PF-70
    71620691 2003-S Maine PF-70
    71620695 2003-S Illinois PF-70

I'll stop here but I think you get the idea. Those puppies are getting churned out like there's no tomorrow.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eagle 7 got this one right... I would only add that there are other pre 1933 coins that I would add.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    OK....a quick math check. Bulk submissions are 200 coins same denom at $8 per coin if memory serves. Assuming 2% on a sample of the 200 coin minimum, with instructions to only holder the 70s, the cost to "make" the four expected 70's would be $1600. Unlikely. Why not pay more and "make" all the 69s?

You have to assume the cost of the proof sets in bulk are $17 x 200, or $3400. Then the grading fee of $1600. Doesn't that put the cost of those coins at $5000 plus shipping and labor? Perhaps the "make" rate for 70s is higher than estimated?

BTW - That's four coins in my example, not five. That should put the cost per coin at roughly $1250, or $6250 for the set.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    I went back and dug up an old thread with bulk info, and if I understand the old structure correctly, it is possible that a LARGE submitter could submit at $5 per coin with instructions to make only 70s, and would pay $8 per 70 made. That would make the grading fee for 200 coins $1012 + the $3400 for the raw sets. That begins to look like $1103 per coin. Still too high. Again, why not holder the 69s? If the "make" rate for 70s were higher, the whole thing works in bulk. JMO
  • Options
    Amen CoinKat, all coins whatever their content or denomination which are classics and are high grades will not only make their owner feel good to look at them, they will make he or she or their heirs a lot of money! JMHO image
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options
    I thought that on a bulk submission you only paid if the coin is slabbed. Then it's $8, assuming that they sent in 200 coins with orders to slab PR69DCAM or better. I would think 85%-90% of the coins will grade PR69DCAM or PR70DCAM. I don't think the submitter pays for coins that don't make the cut, and they are not given cert numbers.

• Options
    Yet another reason not to collect moderns! image

• Options
    Marty, I could be wrong, but I understand any coin examined is a minimum $5. I'm sure deals vary from submitter to submitter, but that was the gist of the info posted. If you include 69s in the example given, the odds of all the 70s being bunched together is astounding.
  • Options
    These coins can be cherried before they are sent in, too. If you know that
    the top 2% will make PR-70 then one can simply send in the top 1% and
    have relatively little fear of recieving any 69 grades. This also will make the
    remaining 99% of sets more saleable. If all the top quality pieces are re-
    moved then it's apparent to potential buyers. When only the very best are
    removed it is much less apparent and in some cases of relatively little conse-
    quence anyway. If these are all mixed up like they were submitted, my guess
    would be that it was one of the larger retailers who don't specialize in moderns
    who just went through their stock pulling out stuff that would go very high
    grade.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CK,

That makes sense, and if your sucess rate were only say %25, the math works well.image
  • Options
    I have no idea what goes on in the world of PCGS and DHRC but the phrase 'Appearance of Impropriety' comes to mind.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    Baseball,

We have had our differences and disagreements in the past but even in the tightest kool-aid drinking circles this type of evidence has to raise some doubt in your mind.

That's 11 PR70 DCAMs state quarters out of 16 coins -- that's just too amazing to be a bulk submission. Perhaps 1-2 PR70 DCAMS every hundred coins, but certainly not 11 or 16 in a row. That would be impossible in a bulk submission.

These coins were cherry picked and sent in. And if they were cherry-picked, whomever did it has one of the best eyes for modern proofs. Again, I ask, who here has ever made 11 PR70DCAMs in one submission?

As for this being circumstanial evidence, maybe so, but others have been convicted of murder and imprisoned/executed soleyl based upon circumstanial evidence. Ask Scott Peterson, he'll tell you about circumstanial evidence. And remember circumstanial evidence is just that --- evidence.

I think this is a little more then circumstanial evidence though.

All PR70 DCAMs

Michael
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    You guys can bash David Hall's company and call him a crook all you want & I don't care but I wish the coin Nazis would stop putting down the coins some of us like to collect.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    And of course Martha Stewart would never be involved in insider trading, she wouldn't need to -- she's already rich.

And those guys @ Enron, why would they rip off their own employees, they wouldn't need to -- they're already rich.

Try a different argument. image

Michael
  • Options
    Many of the best of all coins have been submitted sequentially. People go through a
    bag of Morgans and submit the best pieces. How does this differ? It doesn't appear
    to be any kind of evidence at all to me. Until there is evidence, it's merely a fact or data
    point.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no evidence of anything here. What if an owner submitted thousands of NGC PF70 coins for crossover and 50 crossed. Those 50 would be consecutively numbered at PCGS, showing 50 straight PF70 DCAM's. By the conspiracy logic shown in this thread, that would be sufficient evidence to prove that there was a second gunman that killed Kennedy! image
  • Options

<< <i><< I have no idea what goes on in the world of PCGS and DHRC but the phrase 'Appearance of Impropriety' comes to mind.>> stujoe, I have no idea what you mean by that comment. >>

What I mean is that when you are The Man at the top grading service and The Man at a coin dealership and you have coins like that for sale in your own holders, it looks bad whether it is bad or not. It has the appearance of being improper whether it is improper or not. If that wasn't the case, this thread would not be in existance..

Personally, I doubt there is anything shady going on but it is pretty easy for me to say that as it affects me in no way, shape, or form.

• Options

<< <i>You guys can bash David Hall's company and call him a crook all you want & I don't care but I wish the coin Nazis would stop putting down the coins some of us like to collect. >>

For the record, they look purty to me.

• Options
    Baseball

Where did I ever accuse of Mr. Hall doing something illegal, immoral or just basically hypocritical to even his own statements. I never said that there's evidence of Mr. Hall submitting these coins himself or even telling his graders to grade certain coins at certain grades. I simply said there's evidence which would tend to create the illusion of the act of impropriety. There might not even be an act of impropriety, but I certainly never accused Mr. Hall of something like that.

In order to be clear I am NOT saying Mr.Hall or one of his staff either at DHRC or PCGS choose certain state quarters themselves, gave them to another submitter who submitted them on his behalf and were given PR70 DCAM grades. I'm also NOT saying that Mr. Hall or anyone on his staff @ PCGS instructed other members of his staff to grade certain state quarters with the PR70 DCAM grades. I am also NOT saying that anyone who drinks kool-aid is blind, uniformed and basically an unintelligent. I am also NOT saying Martha Stewart is guilty of insider trading and I am also NOT saying the Enron guys cheated, swindled or ripped off any of their employees.

So to recap, Mr. Hall is an upstanding consumer minded CEO that runs his business with the best of intentions. Martha Stewart is a fine homemaker and a skilled stock trader and those Enron guys were performing cost cutting measures in Texas. And I don't like kool-aid.

Oh, yeah, one last thing, there really was a second gunman on the grassy-knoll. image

Michael
  • Options
    one moment of your time, if you achieved a pr70dcam state quarter, would you sell it to mr. hall? how about 6 of them? i believe i would keep them for myself or to place on display or i would do what mr. hall has done and quickly sell them for as much as i could get. why let someone else make your money? i wonder if records are kept by mr. hall that denoted who he purchased the coins from. how does he find out about these pr70dcam coins? does a dealer contact him about buying it? or does mr. hall contact the dealer or submitter? i know there are many dealers here, know some of them quite well. how many times has mr. hall offered to buy a coin from you and how many times have you sold him a coin. ned
  • Options

<< <i>Baseball

Where did I ever accuse of Mr. Hall doing something illegal, immoral or just basically hypocritical to even his own statements. I never said that there's evidence of Mr. Hall submitting these coins himself or even telling his graders to grade certain coins at certain grades. I simply said there's evidence which would tend to create the illusion of the act of impropriety. There might not even be an act of impropriety, but I certainly never accused Mr. Hall of something like that.

In order to be clear I am NOT saying Mr.Hall or one of his staff either at DHRC or PCGS choose certain state quarters themselves, gave them to another submitter who submitted them on his behalf and were given PR70 DCAM grades. I'm also NOT saying that Mr. Hall or anyone on his staff @ PCGS instructed other members of his staff to grade certain state quarters with the PR70 DCAM grades. I am also NOT saying that anyone who drinks kool-aid is blind, uniformed and basically an unintelligent. I am also NOT saying Martha Stewart is guilty of insider trading and I am also NOT saying the Enron guys cheated, swindled or ripped off any of their employees.

So to recap, Mr. Hall is an upstanding consumer minded CEO that runs his business with the best of intentions. Martha Stewart is a fine homemaker and a skilled stock trader and those Enron guys were performing cost cutting measures in Texas. And I don't like kool-aid.

Oh, yeah, one last thing, there really was a second gunman on the grassy-knoll. image

Michael >>

I think you've about covered it.
    That humanity at large will ever be able to dispense with artificial paradises seems unlikely. Most men and women lead lives at the worst so painful, and at the best so monotonous, poor, and limited, that the urge to escape, the longing to transcend themselves, if only for a few moments, is and always has been one of the principal appetites of the soul.

Aldous Huxley

Yabba dabba doo.

Fred Flintstone

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Anyone check the cert before these? I did. I checked every tenth, and all are about 100 PR69DCAM MO right before this. So this was a bulk submission, and all the PR69DCAMS were also slabbed. All the 70s were put at the end. I even spot checked #s 200 lower and 300 lower and they were still PR^(DCAM 2003 quarters.

Let's do the math for 500.
    2% PR70DCAM = 10 coins
    90% PR69DCAM = 450 coins
    8% no grade = 40 coins

Costs
    Proof Sets, Quarters only, $13.95x500=$6,975
    Grading fees, $8x460=$3,680
    S/H/I=$500 (WAG)
    Total Cost = $11,165

Revenue
    PR70DCAM, 10 x $800 = $8,000
    PR69DCAM, 460 x $15 = $6,900
    Returned Coins, 40 x $.5 = $20
    Total Revenue = $14,920

Looks like a bulk submission to me, and the submitter has ample profit margin.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would you have David Hall's Coin Firm do? Sell NGC coins exclusively?
    He's done nothing wrong and is doing nothing wrong.

The same logic would have the owner a Ford Dealership driving a Chevrolet.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>What would you have David Hall's Coin Firm do? Sell NGC coins exclusively? >>

I wouldn't 'have' him do anything. He is his own man, he does what he wants.

<< <i>He's done nothing wrong and is doing nothing wrong. >>

I didn't say has done or does anything wrong. I agree with others who have said that they don't think he does do anything wrong.

<< <i>The same logic would have the owner a Ford Dealership driving a Chevrolet. >>

I think that is a little different kind of analogy. A better analogy would be...The same logic would have the Secretary of Energy not beig the day to day president of an oil company. Sure the Secretary can hold both positions and never do anything wrong but I still think it would look bad.

• Options
    smprfismprfi Posts: 874
    Buy a coin from him and grade it yourself.That is how you prove him wrong.You want to know something though,the grades are good.I've bought several MS69 coins from him and they all look the grade.

Why is it "fishy" that he has a lot of high grade coins?If that is the case then why don't "we"make the same comments about other dealers?Buy a coin from him and then confront him with some type of evidence not accusations.

It's been done with Hagar and ACG.Do it with Hall and PCGS.Bet you won't have the same success.

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Gee, and I thought buying slabbed coins was supposed to give you more peace of mind, not less! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    I certainly agree the results look suspect, but why would DH risk his reputation, PCGS's reputation for $4.600. This logic, given the small amount of money involved, seems flawed. He stands to lose too much. If this involved a $250.000+ coin a case could possibly be made circumstantially that there is something very suspect.

DH has an "almost 99.9%" impeccable reputation and appears to be a very savvy businessman and enjoys the respect of the numismatic community. The downside for DH seems too great for a $4000, probably much less, profit on one transaction.

There must be rational reason this occurred, and in this case I feel strongly that DH needs to address this and put it to rest.

Fratlaw, I respect you, but, like my wife you see everything through the eyes of a litigator. And before you infer a serious breach, I think you need more facts. Don't attorney's rely on more than one fact (cert#'s) before leveling an extremely serious accusation or inference of one.

As an attorney you should know the possible consequences to DH, PCGS and DHRC with this type of post. My question is what other facts have you verified? Did you even attempt to contact DH for an explanation? If you have, as any responsible attorney would, please provide us with the additional evidence you have uncovered. Seems to me (uneducated in the law) that DH could tie you up in court and cost you a tidy sum for yet unproven and serious "inferences.

GIVE US MORE FACTS!!! You could be correct, though I seriously doubt it. Facts Mr. Attorney!!!
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did I ever accuse of Mr. Hall doing something illegal, immoral or just basically hypocritical to even his own statements

You tread a very fine line........ it's even somewhat amusing to see the accusation put forth in such a manner that you retain plausible deniability. Somewhat akin to asking a question of a witness to which you don't need or want the answer - you just want the question in the minds of the jury.
  • Options
    Brian,
    Your calculations are based on purchasing 500 Sets of proof quarters therefore you're submitting 2500 coins. Based upon your assumptions of grades returned, that profit margin just went way up.

TDN,
    When I commented that frattlaw had about covered it, I was, of course, referring to his a$$.

edited to say: maybe I misunderstood and brian's assumption is that only the apparently top 20% of the 2500 quarters would be submitted.

That humanity at large will ever be able to dispense with artificial paradises seems unlikely. Most men and women lead lives at the worst so painful, and at the best so monotonous, poor, and limited, that the urge to escape, the longing to transcend themselves, if only for a few moments, is and always has been one of the principal appetites of the soul.

Aldous Huxley

Yabba dabba doo.

Fred Flintstone

• Options
    Here is an idea put some money together and buy the coins, crack them out and resubmit them and see what grades they come back. Document everything and see what grades you get back.

Justin
    Justin
  • Options
    Again, I have not accused Mr. Hall, PCGS, CU or DHRC of anything except that once again, this thread, which by the way I did not start, raises the specter of an inherent conflict of interest, not a true conflict, just a perceived one. There is no evidence here of any wrong doing. The evidence here only causes certain people to have certain doubts as to the alledged conflict of interest. I have not spent my time searching through cert #s to determine the number 69s and 70s this submission received. Smprfi and jgilliams, if I had concrete evidence of any wrongdoing, it certainly wouldn't posted to CU's website, nor would I reveal it prior to discovery commencing.

Personally, in my mind, there is no conflict of interest legally. Many manufactuers own retail outlets for their goods. Even large oil companies own gas stations. This is just another example of that. There's no legal basis that I know of that would prevent a manufactuer from owning a retail outlet for their product.

However, many people aren't comfortable with that idea. And I can understand why. As Stujoe as said, it just looks bad. There's another point that is quite interesting, I believe that many numismatic companies prevent their employees from buying and selling coins. I know for a fact Superior does. I'm not sure if CU/PCGS does, but wouldn't be interesting if CU/PCGS had a policy that prevented their graders from dealing in coins, but allowed the President and CEO to do so.

And finally, I'm not being an attorney. I'm being one of those people/customers/coin collectors who think CU shouldn't be in the business of grading and selling coins, not because it's wrong, just because it looks wrong. If I were approaching this as an attorney, you would be reading my complaint, not my posts.

I repeat, Mr. Hall, CU/PCGS & DHRC has NOT done anything wrong, it just doesn't look good in my humble, non-lawyer opinion.

Michael
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    wow guys, great insights

Baseball no offence taken image

guys I was just pointing out that its not prudent for me to buy at these prices with the 70dcams comming down the pike
    like a thundering herd...I have a few that should be 70's from 2003..but i gaurentee if subbmitted all would come back
    69dcams

ID BET 500 BUCKS ON IT

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Frat,

I stand corrected, you did not start this thread, but it seems like many of your posts are critical of DH and the way he does business. You may have valid points, but I think when they get to what I consider serious acquisations, more care should be taken to ensure you stand on solid ground. As an attorney you are certainly more aware of the consequences of yet unproven inferences than the average person. That is my point. No disrespect intended.
    TG
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    "PCGS has the following anti-self-interest policy posted in its grading room.
    Graders!!!
    PCGS Anti-Self-Interest Policy

PCGS graders cannot do any of the following:

1. Grade their own coins.
    2. Grade coins they submit for clients or other dealers.
    3. Grade coins they have a financial interest in (split-profit deals, etc.).
    4. Verify any of the above coins.
    5. Participate in any discussion whatsoever-inside or outside of the grading room-either before, during, or after the coins are in the grading process.

Fiduciary Responsibility

PCGS graders cannot use any information obtained inside the grading room before the information is available in the general marketplace. More specifically graders cannot do any of the following:

1. Buy coins from a dealer based on information obtained in the grading room. If a grader finds out who a coin or group of coins belongs to while the coins are in the grading process, that grader cannot contact the submitting dealer for the purpose of purchasing the coins (or obtaining first shot, etc.) until 10 days after the dealer has received his coins back from PCGS.
    2. Sell or buy coins and/or coin positions based on information obtained in the grading room.

Any grader who has one substantial violation of item #1 or who shows a consistent pattern of violating item #2 will be immediately terminated."

Aldous Huxley

Yabba dabba doo.

Fred Flintstone

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file