Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would this offend you?

A dealer with whom you do some business has a PCGS slabbed coin in inventory that is potentially of interest to you.

You visit the dealer, examine the coin and decide its not what you are looking for.

Weeks go by and the coin remains in his inventory.

Weeks after that, the same dealer calls you to say he has a new coin in stock that he 'just picked up' that might interest you. It is the same type and date as the coin you saw earlier, but it is now in an NGC holder, one grade higher and much more expensive.

You examine the coin and determine that it is clearly, unmistakably, the exact same coin you saw before, reslabbed.

Would this offend you?

Singapore

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    If we can eliminate the possibility that he sold the coin and bought it back after it went to NGC, I guess I'd be ticked. I don't like to be lied to and I will avoid doing business with folks that do.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    Absolutely. I hate the games some dealers play. Can't stand it. Why not just keep it real? Do some plastic peddling dealers just assume that collectors are sooooo stupid that we only look at the grade on the slab? Geez.
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do some plastic peddling dealers just assume that collectors are sooooo stupid that we only look at the grade on the slab? Geez. >>

Many do, and quite often they are right.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Offend is the wrong word. I'd just be pissed off.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
    I would be offended if the dealer knowingly tried to sell me the same coin in a different holder with a higher grade. If he first informed me that he had the same coin now in a different holder with a higher grade, that would be different. I would probably tell him I still wasn't interested.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The crackout game happens quite often, I would be offended if was a dealer that I dealt with on a regular basis. This is easy to spot with early U.S. coins, there are not that many to go around. A particular coin's toning, circulation ticks, and other markings can stick in a collector's memory for a long time.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

<< <i>A particular coin's toning, circulation ticks, and other markings can stick in a collector's memory for a long time. >>

I'd love to know if anyone ever tried this stunt with shylock! image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    I would be insulted that the dealer thought I was that stupid.

Even if I didn't remember the coin well enough to know that it was the same who is going to turn down a PCGS coin
    in 65 but then decide to pony up the money for a NGC coin in 66? I'm going to see the same things I didn't like in the
    65 holder and be staring at a 66 price.

I think I would laugh in his face.

-KHayse
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    This dealer would never make the HepKitty approved list! image
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

<< <i>I would be insulted that the dealer thought I was that stupid. >>

Absolutely! I would enjoy laughing in his face, as well. I'm happy the vast, vast majority are way too smart to try such a dumb@$$ stunt.

• Options
    If, with your back to the dealer, while partaking of a cool cup of water from his water cooler, you felt his hand rummaging around in the pocket in which you carry your wallet, would this offend you?
    That humanity at large will ever be able to dispense with artificial paradises seems unlikely. Most men and women lead lives at the worst so painful, and at the best so monotonous, poor, and limited, that the urge to escape, the longing to transcend themselves, if only for a few moments, is and always has been one of the principal appetites of the soul.

Aldous Huxley

Yabba dabba doo.

Fred Flintstone

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Singapore,

I agree w Bikingnut on this. However, when it comes to crackouts, the overwhelming majority of these coins do not upgrade. Even the best in the business get their heads handed to them more often than not in these circumstances.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭
    If this was a close personal friend, I would be disappointed.

However, since I tend to believe absolutely NOTHING that a dealer tells me while looking at his wares, I would not be offended.

A general rule of thumb for me is: Let the coin do the talking, NOT the dealer.

Yes, there are exceptions but I think you don't know that for sure until you have a longer term relationship.

Joe.
  • Options
    What Am I? Stupid? image
  • Options
    I go with Russ on this one - offended is much too nice a word for what I would be feeling. I would definitely never do business with the jerk again!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I would just laugh in his face and walk out.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't offend me but I'd be annoyed.
  • Options
    The dealer hasn't thought of anything new. Before slabs a dealer would take a coin that was in a flip or staple holder back to his office, telling the customer maybe he could find some thing better "in the back" and that he would return in a few minutes. Back in his little office he would put the same coin in nice black Capital holder with gold lettering, bring it out front and sell it. The whole idea was not to present the prospect with a better coin or for that matter, a differenct coin, but rather a major contrast in packaging. Collectors, IMO, can spot a switch, they know that two coins of the same grade, date and mintmark are still different. But back then many "collectors" were just investors who found pretty packaging, and an assuring Marcus Welby smile, more important than the coin.

"It's an experimental division at Ft. Benning, and
    your lucky to be assigned there rather than anywhere
    else, because nobody knows anything about it, which
    means that you should know quickly as much about it
    as anybody."
    1st Cav in Vietnam
    Shelby Stanton
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be disappointed in MYSELF for not quickly recognizing the coin offered to me was a crack-out winner...I SHOULD have had the upgrade, not him.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No question this would offend me. If it's someone I've done alot of business with I would expect better. Not sure I would continue the business relationship. Thinks I would question all future transactions.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, this happens. If you have a good relationship with this dealer, I would let it slide...Let me explain why: Dealers deal with alot of customers etc. and he could have forgotten that he had showed you the coin previously. I am not trying to defend the dealer, its just that they are human and make stupid mistakes just like the rest of us. Will you find good coins at fair prices from this dealer in the future? If so, it may not be worth getting upset about.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>I'd be disappointed in MYSELF for not quickly recognizing the coin offered to me was a crack-out winner...I SHOULD have had the upgrade, not him. >>

Rainbowroosie - Your point may have merit in regard to, for example, Roosevelt dimes - but its not true for my specialty of colonials.

I believe any (and I mean this literally) colonial coin can be purchased raw or in a PCGS holder and immediately sent to NGC for an upgrade of at least 1 and possibly 2 or 3 grade levels.

Its finding the buyers who are willing to pay strong money for NGC colonials based on the slabbed grade thats the challenge.

Singapore
  • Options

<< <i>If, with your back to the dealer, while partaking of a cool cup of water from his water cooler, you felt his hand rummaging around in the pocket in which you carry your wallet, would this offend you? >>

LOL, yes, why yes it would!image
  • Options

<< <i>Unfortunately, this happens. If you have a good relationship with this dealer, I would let it slide...Let me explain why: Dealers deal with alot of customers etc. and he could have forgotten that he had showed you the coin previously. I am not trying to defend the dealer, its just that they are human and make stupid mistakes just like the rest of us. Will you find good coins at fair prices from this dealer in the future? If so, it may not be worth getting upset about. >>

I actually agree with you on this. As a member of a service industry, I can emphatically state that it is impossible to keep everyone completely straight. Did I tell you this before?...etc etc. So I wouldn't automatically ascribe a sinister motive to the dealer.
  • Options
    I posted a question the other night as to what made a good dealer. I did like the one response that said there are only good buyers. Most of the responses said how important the relationship was, even more than the price. I guess this dealer doesn't read this board! I would move on.
    Bill
    Coin Junkie

cameoproofcoins.com
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    It could have been an honest error. After all it was weeks between showings to you. Perhaps he just forgot that you saw the coin before. He probably has many customers and many showings. It would be easy to forget. Not that I would trust the dealer, but what incentive does he have in doing this to a knowledgeable collector like you. Why risk a customer for a sale he is not likely to get anyway.

Greg
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    It would annoy me.... I missed an obvious upgrade and could have done the same thing myself.

• Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Intent would be the key determining factor. As said previously, if it was an honest mistake, no problem, but any dealer who has a long term relationship with me would never try this.

Brian.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Tell him you will buy it if it crosses to a PCGS holder, probably come back two spots lowerimage---------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more inclined to think that the dealer just forget it had already been offered. Unless it is the kind of coin that only 5-10 people would buy, then it's asking a bit much for him to remember every single person who he talked to about the coin, esp. when he spends half the day on the phone working deals.

I seriously doubt that any rare coin dealership uses customer relationship management software where they record every single phone call, etc. Too many people to talk to and too little time for the good dealers. Actually, if there is an exception to my rule, it is probably a company like Littleton. From what I know about them I strongly suspect that they have a lot of back end computing going on, working regression analyses and so forth on mailing lists and their customer database. They have high enough margins to work those kind of angles. The smaller operators have to go on their own memory image
  • Options

<< <i>The dealer hasn't thought of anything new. Before slabs a dealer would take a coin that was in a flip or staple holder back to his office, telling the customer maybe he could find some thing better "in the back" and that he would return in a few minutes. Back in his little office he would put the same coin in nice black Capital holder with gold lettering, bring it out front and sell it. The whole idea was not to present the prospect with a better coin or for that matter, a different coin, but rather a major contrast in packaging. >>

That's when you rest chin briefly on thumb and forefinger and say, "You know, it's just too hard to decide, I think I'll take them both."
    That humanity at large will ever be able to dispense with artificial paradises seems unlikely. Most men and women lead lives at the worst so painful, and at the best so monotonous, poor, and limited, that the urge to escape, the longing to transcend themselves, if only for a few moments, is and always has been one of the principal appetites of the soul.

Aldous Huxley

Yabba dabba doo.

Fred Flintstone

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    wouldn't offend me at all, since i pay no attention to what the slab says anyway

K S
  • Options
    My reason for being ticked isn't that the dealer forgot he showed me the coin before. It's because he said it's a new coin he "just picked up" when it clearly wasn't.

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭✭
    How 'bout this: a dealer looks at a pcgs coin and says he doesn't like it and passes, then looks at the same coin in an upgraded ncg holder at a later date, and the guy goes gaga over the same coin... willing to pay a hefty premium! image
  • Options
    Could be that the dealer knew he had a ready customer for a slabbed coin in its new grade.

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I am sure that that is the case, however, he "poo-poo'd" the coin in the pcgs holder, then said "it musta been first off the die" etc., when seen in the higher-graded ngc holder. Curious.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file