Home U.S. Coin Forum

Name a coin, its owner, and why he or she doesn't deserve to own it!

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
It could be a great rarity belonging to someone who doesn't appreciate what he has.

It could be a good coin belonging to just a plain miserable person.

It could even be stolen.

Get the idea?

Be specific!
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    1933 $20 St. Gaudens. Owner is unknown, unfortunately. They don't deserve it because they probably bought it to show up the neighbors. Its ownership should be transferred to me so that I may let people view it for a modest transaction fee. And then I would donate part of the money raised to a charity of my choice.
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    Andy, are you trying to get to that 5th 1913 Liberty Nickel?image
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    It could be a good coin belonging to just a plain miserable person.

It could even be stolen.

Get the idea?

Be specific!

Hey, let's all jump on the slander/libel bandwagon image

Michael

• MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    a 1964 PCGS PR68DCAM Accent Hair Kennedy!, Russ is the owner and he sould give it up because he has way too many Accent Hair Kennedy's already!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭
    The SECOND 1822 Half Eagle that the Smithsonian owns.

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • kieferscoinskieferscoins Posts: 10,017
    I got a sample slab that Andy was not fit to own. He didn't care about it and was going to crak out the paper coin inside. That is right, a fake paper coin.

Cameron Kiefer
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    I think anyone that owns a pretty toned Peace dollar should be forced to turn it/them over to Michael/FrattLaw - no one in their right mind (not that HE is in HIS right mind image ) could possibly appreciate them as much as he does.
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I believe that the owners of the 70-s 5c do not appreciate the coin. They were sold the coin as an investment. Hopefully, it will be a good investment, but they do not appreciate it for what it is.

Museums, in general, do not appreciate the coins that they have. One of the reasons is that a museum cannot have human emotions and pride of ownership is a human emotion. Numismatic museums, of course, do appreciate their collections more than the ordinary museum. I believe that museums should have to put their duplicate coins on the market. In fact, I believe that the coins that are not properly displayed by the museums should be de-accessioned.

Maybe I will think of something else later.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    If everyone here on the boards gave me all of their coins free of any charge, I`ll appreciate it.image
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because he CANNOT HANDLE THE TRUTH!

(Sorry, inside joke.)
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    I would have to concur with the Coin Professor's last statement -- no one could appreciate them as much as I do. In Mark's own words they are "downright ugly." (He really did say that to me!image ) Now coming from Mark Feld, that has to be a numismatic fact, so, for all of my fellow Board members who have a toned Peace dollar in their collection, please PM me and I'll provide my address for immediate disposal of your unwanted and rather ugly toned Peace $.

And Mark, I'm sure if Pinnacle has one in their inventory, you would certainly provide me with a huge discount on that coin since it really doesn't have much eye appeal and you probably couldn't sell to any other "dupe" like myself. image

Michael
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭
    TDN's Trade Dollar set. I get the feeling he REALLY doesn't dig trade dollars.

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500
    People who own sample slabs given out at luncheons that they don't attend.I won't mention any names.image
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    But nucklehead, who better to have them than those of us who catalog and document them for posterity rather than those who will just toss them aside into a box back home somewhere where they will be lost, forgotten, and unloved. image
  • RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Whoever owns the Shield Earring Dollar in PR 67. He or she doesn't deserve it because I want it.image But I don't fit that hypothetical about Bill Gates, because I don't have the $, wouldn't pay whatever it took, and am only 38.image

<< <i>But nucklehead, who better to have them than those of us who catalog and document them for posterity rather than those who will just toss them aside into a box back home somewhere where they will be lost, forgotten, and unloved. image >>

That's true,I own very few so far but my prized one is a 1956 Roosevelt dime in a PCGS holder that I've had for many years.

<< <i>Whoever owns the Shield Earring Dollar in PR 67. He or she doesn't deserve it because I want it.image But I don't fit that hypothetical about Bill Gates, because I don't have the $, wouldn't pay whatever it took, and am only 38.image >>

Hey Rick,seems to me you own far to many great Patterens,don't you think you should 'share' a few of them? All kidding aside just wanted to say hi!image
  • jomjom Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Smithsonian! Which coin? Any! Put them on the market! image

jom
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jom- I agree! All of the duplicates in the Smithsonian that have never seen the light of day should be auctioned off and the proceeds used to build a proper and more complete numismatic display.image
  • RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Paul, I was going to say that I didn't deserve those coins because I haven't done my time, but I love them so much.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file