Home U.S. Coin Forum

Disturbing but true scene in Long Beach

So I duck into the men's room on Friday afternoon at the show and there is a guy in there at the counter dipping a Peace Dollar into some kind of solution and then rinsing it off.

I'm guessing something extremely sneaky was going on to explain why someone would be doing this, apparently with great urgency, in a men's room.

If the person who was doing this is a contributor here, can you please explain yourself? And please describe what you were wearing so I can verify that it is you.
Singapore

Comments

• MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Oh, rinsing them with a swirley!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    you saw me??????
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Some things just can't be done in public.image
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>you saw me?????? >>

You're like Basil's mother in Austin Powers... you're... A MAN image: imageimage!!!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
    i wore my disguise.. !

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing something extremely sneaky was going on

If it was "something sneaky" he wouldn't be doing it in public. The sad thing is that cleaning coins is so widely accepted that he didn't think twice about dipping a coin in public.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Well, Bob Campbell said in his video on AT that it's quite common to find dealers dipping coins or AT'ing them in the bathrooms.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Hey, I was just trying to make a quick buck flipping a crackout!

Russ, NCNE
  • Your to paranoid. Coin dealers dip coins all the time. And yes, many of them doctor coins. So what?
    That is the business. Unless your are a coin doctor, you probably can't tell if a coin is really original.
    Little tricks like knowing what happens if you try to tone a coin? One for instance, a Pan Pac half will
    show a circle just inside the rim. If you see it, the coin is probably AT. Sorry, but no more secrets.
    Paid a great deal for my education. If you think coin doctoring is going to stop, well, never happen.
    Rusty
  • NicNic Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rusty...Your info. on Pan-Pacs is way off. K
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Lucy, wearing that disguise, I thought you were Henry Kissinger.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

• << <i>Your to paranoid. Coin dealers dip coins all the time. And yes, many of them doctor coins. So what?
    That is the business. Unless your are a coin doctor, you probably can't tell if a coin is really original.
    Little tricks like knowing what happens if you try to tone a coin? One for instance, a Pan Pac half will
    show a circle just inside the rim. If you see it, the coin is probably AT. Sorry, but no more secrets.
    Paid a great deal for my education. If you think coin doctoring is going to stop, well, never happen.
    Rusty >>

If what you say is true, and coin dealers do dip coins all the time, then I would have expected to find at least 4 or 5 such dealers in the men's room when I went in, not just the one.
    Singapore
  • He was dipping a coin, not spanking his monkey! Whats the problem?
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!

<< <i>He was dipping a coin, not spanking his monkey! >>

Good thing, too. Otherwise, the SPCA and PETA would have been all over his ass.

Russ, NCNE
  • wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Did he at least wash his hands? I have caught several dealers in mens rooms not washing their hands after they DO THEIR BUSINESS!!!

Brian.
  • Thats why he was dipping it, one of those guys you saw was the Seller!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was only a peace dollar!! No harm done! imageimage

Tyler
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    As long as its body bagged and/or low graded if it ever makes it to PCGS/NGC then go for it in the mens room or anywhere else. Too many squirrels chasing too few nuts image
    YCCTidewater.com
    Where did I place my margarita?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i am confused what is that spanking his monkey??

i understand what dipping means what is spaaking the monkey referring to in coin enhancement????????????

sincerely michael
    yeah, whats this mean?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    lucy i was serious

but now after i read your post and thought about it it just dawned on me the light bulb just went on in the attic................lol

i am sorry i asked................lol i wish the non coin verbage would not be said on here.......lol

sincerely michael
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yeah, whats this mean? >>

And.... what does it mean. I'm waiting for an astute description.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose you could look at it as a method of birth control.

If you still need a hint, it involves a body part I usually don't see in my line of work in anyone over the age of a few hours old imageimage

(I would have added the shocked looking guy with the blue face but for some reason, it just looked a little too odd given that particular body part)

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was he making the "pissing minuteman" quarters?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Too many squirrels chasing too few nuts >>

This squirrel has the nuts (I couldn't resist!)
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• To spank one's monkey -

First you need a 12V car battery and jumper cables.
    Two Stainless Steel Spatulas.
    Heavy rubber gloves
    1 Rubber chicken
    1 Watermelon
    1 Fifth of Vodka
    1 fishing pole

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I guess one could rinse the coin with water from the drinking fountian. Then the actuall dip would seem even more sneaky.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're all far too paranoid. It was probably Russ washing his hands and demonstrating his new product "Slab Soap on a Rope" to a prospective customer.

<< <i>i am confused what is that spanking his monkey?? >>

Michael,

It's similar to choking the chicken. The SPCA and PETA also frown on that.

Russ, NCNE
  • TonekillerTonekiller Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    Sad folks, just sad. image
  • OkieOkie Posts: 39
    I can't believe I'm posting on this thread - oh well, there goes my rep.

Seems to me what that guy was doing in the bathroom is called "monkey business."

For those of you who need to know more about monkey spanking, I found a forum for you:
    Monkey Madness

Let this be the last post on this topic please!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file