Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What ONE coin do you own that's worth the highest premium over ANY price guide?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
What ONE coin do you own that's worth the highest premium over ANY price guide?

While we're on the subject, WHY is it worth so much more?
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Percentage or dollar value? What if it's unlisted in any price guide? Let's get the groundrules straight! image
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    About 45X Greysheet bid for a common date Morgan with color.

dragon
  • Options
    barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,229
    my 92 s barber in my opionion is the best of the 2 pcgs 66 coins and is probably capable in a hot market of bringing much more than any price guide says it's worth. my totally unbiased opioionimage
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    Percentage or dollar value?

Either. It's not really a contest, it's just interesting. But let's leave out the coins that list under $100 or over 100K, OK?

What if it's unlisted in any price guide?

Wing it. Nobody's going to get in trouble tonight, except maybe me for insinuating that a price guide could possibly be wrong about something.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    OK, I'll bite. This isn't worth a lot of scratch, but you did say highest premium over price guice...

1938-D 5c NGC MS65. This is a $40 coin greysheet and there are over 30,000 graded in 66, so it is as common as dirt.

However, this is a toned beauty - lemon yellow obverse and neon baby blue reverse. I have been offered $200 for the coin, so 5X over price guides.

Having trouble with the pic so you'll have to take my word for it.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 1837 Half in MS62 commands a significant premium over due to its beauty. That would probably be the one most over percentage wise. Blue sheet is 640. I paid 1915 and have been offered 2300 already for the coin.

Total pricewise is probably my 1871 Proof66 Cam trime. Bluesheet is 1300 and I paid 4100 for it. It is absolutely stunning though. A total wow for originality, hard mirrors, should be a DCAM. It is a crimson gem.

John

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1796 no stars quarter eagle is currently listed at $38000 in XF40 in Trends. However, even gray sheet bid is $45000 and one can't be had for that price.
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    I bought a Proof 69DCAM Washington Commem (1982) and paid something like 360 times sheet for it

The guy who sold it to me, a dealer, missed it so much he bought it back from me.

It is a coin i will remember for the rest of my life. Coins like this are worth getting and holding on to.

In fact, i seriously wonder why anyone buys average coins. Actually, i know why. They have not had time to digest the joy that stunners
    bring and the slight premium they command vs. the boredom of average coins....even though they're cheap.

The problem is a lack of confidence. Confidence in terms of their ability to determine worth and their confidence in their ability to sell the coins for full value when the time comes.

Imagine this: You have been invited to dinner to two places in the same evening. You can look at Jim Halperin's personal collection of
    just 20 coins that he has set aside over the past 30 years - each one of them being the most special in terms of eye appeal that he has
    seen, or you can look at a collection of one hundred million dollars worth of circulated common date Morgans. Get my drift?

Here are images of the Washington commem:

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    ANACONDA, I just lost time looking at that one. The reverse looks three dimensional. It's almost hypnotic.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought a Proof 69DCAM Washington Commem (1982) and paid something like 360 times sheet for it The guy who sold it to me, a dealer, missed it so much he bought it back from me. Since he was a friend, i sold it back to him for a very small profit. It is a coin i will remember for the rest of my life. Here are images of it: imageimageimage >>

Adrian, Jack Beamer (I probably misspelled his name-) had this one featured in his case at Long Beach. It stopped me dead in my tracks. It was fun to see such a stellar Contemporary colorful Commemorative surrounded by classic Bust/Seated and other raw material. Very pretty coin!

peacockcoins

• Options
    Last i heard, Jack Beymer and GSAguy owned the coin jointly.
  • Options
    I should probbaly buy it back from them.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Wash. Commem. Last I know of Beymer and Gsaguy each own half. I have seen this coin and held it probably 3-4 times.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    I bet there are not too many coins made after 1980 that so many people are familiar with. I mean there must have been 100,000 coin in cases in Long Beach yet you remember this one. Interesting.
  • Options
    What's up, stman?

Yes, Jack said he knew you. In fact, you were interested in a mint state Barber Qtr with blue rims that he saw of mine in January and he
    gave you my number as he knew of your interest in either that date or nice Barber Qtrs and that's how we got to know each other.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've known Jack Beymer for many years. He still has the same store location and the same Manager that runs things for him. Both are pretty sharp.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,229
    the analogy of either taking high eye appeal monsters or ho hum circ coins leaves out high end pq coins that don't have monster color, but do have very pretty color. you have some good examples of what i mean on your website; the 1875 s 20 cent piece in 64, the 1891 proof 66 seated half. i think both those coins are pretty pq color coins that aren't monster colored. Of course there are so few coins [other then rainbow morgans] that i actually consider to be monsters, maybe there are enough people who will pay whatever it takes to buy them all, but there are certainly more choices then monsters or crapola. just my insomniac opionion les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    ANACONDA... I remember that ebay auction... when a board member (Supercoin?) was selling it and it ended up $10 short of $1,000. Definately is a stellar piece. Almost seems to evoke a sort of patriotic reverence toward Washington.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    A Henry Bass PCGS MS64 Morgan with reverse toning that can be best described as the eagle coming out of blacks that fade to reds ~
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    MrEureka, I am curious, did you intend this thread to focus on the premium of eye appeal toning as the cause of highest premiums over price guides? How hard would it be to answer this if we ruled out toning?
    What coin do you own thats worth the highest premium over price guides but not because of toning eye appeal?
    Thats a tough one.
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    That's what I thought he meant. I have several seated dollars that are worth 4-5 times price guides because price guides are hopelessly out of date in upper grades for that series
  • Options
    maddogalemaddogale Posts: 859 ✭✭
    For all those pics of toned beauties, Thanks!!! Loved that commem, Big Snake!!image

But as I read the post, I felt the title meant worth as in what I felt it was worth, since worth is a matter of personal taste. For me, I have the greatest attachment to a common date IHC housed in an aluminum "token" which was a part of the 1912 (date?) World's Fair in St Louis. This was given to my grandmother who gave it to me when I started collecting coins as a kid. The coin is dark and has some scale of sorts on the reverse from the reaction of the copper and aluminum, but the details are still fairly sharp, and for me, this coin is worth way over any price guide for sentimental as well as historic reasons.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."
  • Options
    "I have several seated dollars that are worth 4-5 times price guides because price guides are hopelessly out of date in upper grades for
    that series"

That's one of the problems with the coin market - inaccurate price guides. There are many coins that are worth far more than the price
    guides state - the problem is that it is expensive (i.e. time consuming) to determine what even in general terms a particular average
    coin is worth in a particular grade (let alone a spectacular coin in a particular grade). The newness of certification is one of hte
    problems. One would think though, with computers, price tracking would begin to be easier.
  • Options
    MrEureka, I am curious, did you intend this thread to focus on the premium of eye appeal toning as the cause of highest premiums over price guides? How hard would it be to answer this if we ruled out toning?

Yeah, I blew it. I should have excluded PQ coins. I'm trying to identify coins that consistently trade for much more than indicated in the various price guides.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Didn't realize that GW commem was so famous!

I bought it raw from yet another dealer and certified it. I guess it's never been owned by a pure collector... probably won't resurface once it is. image

The collector side of my split personality hung onto it for 2-3 years before succumbing to the dealer side.
  • Options
    A local dealer has a page of ASE's in a Wayte Raymond album. Every once in a while, I go in to look at coins and he pulls it down from on top of the light above the display case to show it to me. Much of the toning looks very similar to that commem.

Dancing in the grey area between acceptable and bodybagged AT, huh? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file