Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

you gotta love putting proofs into circulation!

I have a 74 JFK proof which is not quite the best, but someone who will get it in their change in the next few days will be trying like crazy to find out where such a shiny 50 cent piece came from.

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I know the feeling, I do it all the time.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Great idea and good for the hobby. Another great thing to do is put a roll of buffalo nickels into circulation. Last year I gave the consession stand at our pool a roll of partial date buffaloes during a swim meet. The kids were so excited. You would have thought they were being given gold in their change. The word got out that they came from me and now all the kids ask me if I have any more neat coins. This year I think I'll do a roll of IHCs.
  • Options
    I recently went thru some 1960 proof sets for varities and put the varities in intercept sheilds and the rest of the in circulation. I also found some indian head pennys in my odd coin box and did the same with them.
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    You guys are awesome. Last year I found an IHC in the pop change container at work and almost wet my pants. As you know, the thrill of finding something that like still circulating is pretty cool.
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    I used to do something like that on Halloween. Instead of candy, I gave out old wax packs or wheat pennies...sometimes an Indian or Buff. I've had kids drop in my driveway to open up the Baseball cards.

I now live in a rural setting and sorta miss doing this.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    My grandkids have spent a few proof coins.....Ken
  • Options
    I routinely get partial date Buffs and Liberty nickels, and odd proofs and spend them. I also frequently go through mint sets for 2002 and 2003 items that interest me and spend the Sacagaweas and Kennedys I don't want. I know there are collectors out there that can't get them otherwise.

It's fun to "seed" coins to the populace... I hope it makes a difference.
  • Options
    I have tried prying such coins out of my own hands to spend them, but just can't seem to do it. I have spent Sacs and SBA's, even the occasional Kennedy, but never a proof. I do, however, seed coins to my neice, who is a budding numismatist. image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Collection plate at church gets a buffalo nickel or mercury dime each week.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    maddogalemaddogale Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Cool idea, people, I have gone to the bank on occasion for rolls of coins, then turned them around with an old buff or some wheaties, even did a whole roll of 40% silver JFKs! Someone had to have a good time getting those!

Labmom, I have 4 nieces to take care of on my gift list, have given each a proof set of their birth year, as well as a circulated 20th century type set with a brief history of each coin. They loved being able to "finger" the old coins, and had a blast just looking them over and over. They actually forgot to open their other Christmas presents at the time! image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Great thread. As a collecting kid in the early 80's, I found a 1978-S dime in circulation. I knew by the date that the coins was a proof. I was so excited. The fields were pretty hazy, but there was still some cameo present. Even though it probably isn't worth more than 10c, unless there is some crazy collector out there specializing in circulating modern proofs, I still have the coin in my collection.

So keep it up! It really can make a kid have a great day.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    On a note of spurring coin collecting interesr in children, each of my four sons receive a proof silver American Eagle when a tooth is lost along with a five dollar bill. When they turn 18 I will bring the set up to date and hope they continue it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file