Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

FAVORITE PURCHASE AT LONG BEACH

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
This thread is dedicated to listing your favorite coin purchase at Long Beach (from the auctions or on the bourse floor), which was purchased purely for your personal collection.

My favorite purchase this show was an 1855 Flying Eagle (JUDD 172) in gem grade. I have a nice little collection of 1854-1855 Flying Eagles (to this point, little known coins among the general collecting community) and I needed this variety, which is listed as "R7" in Pollack. I was unable to buy a single pattern nickel for my collection during the entire Long Beach show/auctions as I have no delusions of "completing" a set and I thought prices were a bit higher than I wanted to step into at this time. But, the neat 1855 pattern Flying Eagle, which went at a fair price in the Heritage sale tonight, was a perfect coin to call my "favorite purchase" at the show. How about you?

Wondercoin.
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    kieferscoinskieferscoins Posts: 10,017
    I got two NGC sample slabs. One was a Alabama state quarter and the other was a washinton half dollar in proof 66.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    rwhiterwhite Posts: 326
    Although I didn't buy it, but my favorite coin at the show was the 1815 Half, struck in Platinum, with "p"s struck all over it. It's in an NGC holder with no grade listed as "Judd Plate Coin"
    -Ryan-
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite purchases came from Bryan's table (TexasBullionTraders). He always has quality, fun, high grade monster toned coins and it's tough to pass up these goodies!

I keep a "Box of Sixty" and Bryan help me add two coins to it. (The other two didn't meet the cut but weren't supposed to.)
    Here's a photo of one of them:
    (It's the Golden Kennedy) http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=191994

By the way, I viewed that Morgan (the photo above my Kennedy) and as good as the photo looks- the coin is BETTER. Mesmorizing. One of the top three colored Morgans at the show.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Pine Tree Shilling ex-Ellsworth-Garrett in Choice Unc.

Showed it to David Hall at the freebie seesion PCGS offered and he thought is was magnificent - but we'll see what the slab grade comes back as in a few days.
    Singapore
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, 2 favorites. A J-299 66BN from Rick Kay and a J203 from the Heritage sale, PCGS P65. tried to photograph the J299 but the plastic glare interferes with getting a good shot of the mirrors. Unusually nice coin for the J299 - uniform toning with no spots.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I love my new 1940 PCGS PF68 merc from David Schweitz. Perfect concentric rainbow toned obverse. Outstanding image
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    The prettiest 1953P PCGS MS67 Roosevelt I've seen.............courtesey of onlyroosies who made and sold the coin to me at the show! Tough date, great color.................a superb keeper!!!! Thanks, Nick
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    This is my favorite, more so because it was an unexpected surprise.image PGCS 66FBL, a rare brilliant coin for a date where MS66 coins are nearly always toned to a degree.

National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options

There were not a lot of DMPL's at the show. I was able to pick up a tough date pl, an 1897-O in MS63 PL. It was very clean for a 63. Also got a nice 1899-O MS66 DMPL, both from Don Rinkor.

Macqui

GC's DMPL Set
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    i like the "only roosies" mercury dime..very cool coin.. i bought a real nice barber dime 1912 in PR67 great color that was real pretty from Legend..
    bruce scher
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a couple of neat patterns from fellow board member Rick Kay image

I also won two patterns in the Heritage sale but I haven't imaged them yet.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Boiler78, both those are neat, but the 2 Cent Pattern is really cool. That is so much more attractive than the Shield 2 Cent pieces. Thanks for sharing. mdwoods

Actually the 20 Center has gorgeous color, both are really cool.image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    My favorite Long Beach purchase was a gorgeous 1806 Pointed 6, No Stem half dollar graded AU58 by NGC. It's virtually mint state with tons of shimmering luster, lovely surfaces and pretty original color. It's a very cool coin.

Mike
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

*** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    It seems like patterns are starting to gain recognition which in my case is not necessarily a good thing!image

I liked it better when no one seemed to care and prices were cheap.image I think the new Red Book will only make matters worse or better!? Kind of a Catch 22. Does anyone know when the new Red Book will be available?

Rick- That copper Morgan pattern is stunning! Do you have a layaway plan?image
  • Options
    Hands off! You're not touching that one.image
  • Options
    Agree with Boiler78 - too much recognition. Heck, there are dealers now that SPECIALIZE in patterns - go figureimageimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite purchase from Long Beach came on the bourse floor, and not from a dealer but from a fellow collector. It's graded by PCGS as MS64:

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG!!!! image
  • Options
    That's spectacular, cardinal!!!!!!
  • Options
    What Tradedollarnut said!!!!!!imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    WOW, WOW and WOW.....great purchase and thanks for sharing it. image

If that was red copper, it would be REALLY spectacular.image
  • Options
    Cardinal- Don't tell us that purchase was the result of a fellow collector upgrading their set!imageimage
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Another amazing coin image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your compliments on my recent acquisition. I guess I did good! image

In answer to boiler78's question, Yes, the fellow collector who sold me the coin did so following an upgrade in his set. He acquired the Knoxville 1795 Draped Bust dollar, graded NGC-MS66!
  • Options
  • Options
    Cardinal I just got my Heritage auction lots imaged and ready to post but I can't do it. They don't belong in the same thread with that awesome Bust dollar!image
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Cardinal,

That is one heck of a nice dollarimage How about posting a super-sized picture for all of us to see it even better as most of us have not even seen a picture of such a wonderful coin.

Tom
    Tom