Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Anybody got any 19th century cameo proofs to dazzle me with?

In the $500-or-less range? I know that doesn't leave a lot of room, but I'm considering Darkside as well as US stuff. Prefer certified pieces, of course. I'm not that choosy about technical grade; PR62-64 is great, and the coins need not have a CAM designation on the slab label (though that certainly helps, particularly for US coins). I just want to see some eye-appealing stuff. Not sure if I'm gonna buy anything or not right now, but I know what I'm in the mood for.

Can go over $500 for the right coin if layaway is available, maybe.

Got any frosty monsters with a medium-to-low numerical grade, and no mottled toning?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    I saw an awesome PCGS PR63DCAM late 19th century 3 mark on ebay recently. It incredible frost and looked nicer than many barbers I have seen in DCAM. I would of bid if the auction wouldn't of slipped my mind. I have also been looking for an Irish 1806 DCAM gilt proof. You are an expert on Irish coinage... does such a beast exist? Or at least CAM... I doubt I could find a DCAM.

Sorry... I have no coins to offer you. Even if I had the coins, I wouldn't be able to part with themimage.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an 1805 gilt proof Irish halfpenny, as I'm sure you know, but it's still raw. It's only about a PR61. Has light cameo contrast, but I have no idea what it takes to get a CAM or DCAM designation on those.

Steinberg's had an NGC PR62 UCAM 1887 British 2 pound gold coin on eBay, and the bidding was at $1,145 last time I looked at it. I emailed them to see if their layaway plan was applicable to eBay material, but I didn't hear back from them in time to bid, and the auction is long over by now. image

I'd have loved to own that coin- it was sensational. I wonder what it went for in the end- I'll have to go back and see. Krause price on a generic proof is $1,200- with the UCAM, who knows what it was worth to someone?

Any time I can get a cameo proof 19th century coin for noncam money, I'll probably jump on it. It's still possible now and then, though much more possible on the Darkside than the Lightside.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    ttt