Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

WONDERCOIN AND INTEGRITY

This forum seems to be an appropriate place to express opinions, criticize, and praise those we deal with in the coin world so here is my two cents. We all know that there are times we pay too much for the coins we purchase and there are times we sell our coins way too cheep. This is the general scenario in my experience when doing business with dealers and coin brokers. The most powerful tool we have in a transaction is accurate and valid information. However, sometimes conditions can change very quickly invalidating our information. This happened recently between myself and Mitch (Wondercoin). We made a deal and before less than 12 hours had elapsed, new informations resulted in Wondercoin losing a considerable amount of money on our deal. Our deal was not on paper and no money had exchanged hands. It was just a verbal phone deal made between two people in good faith based upon the information they had at the time the deal was made. When the new information surfaced, Mitch did not try to make a new deal, back out of the original deal, or renege in any way. He kept his word and that represents INTEGRITY in my book. I think his actions deserve mentioned praise.
Donn Murphy
D.M.

Comments

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Its always nice to hear something nice about a dealer, or anyone for that matter.

Sort of starts the day on an upbeat.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donn: Thank you for the kind post. image

Yes, I bought a coin from you that due to the changing pops was worth around a couple thousand dollars less the next day, and we both knew it. But, we had a deal - that is the bottom line. And, I know you would have done the same thing, especially if you knew the other party was acting totally in good faith (as you were here).

There is not much more to say - Abe and Craig who commented are also men of great integrity I believe, as are most of the forum members here.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Eye, I know what you say to be true. I had a similar dealing with Mitch. In fact, if it hadn't been for Mitch tolerating my immaturity, I probably wouldn't be able to have many of the coins I have now. I have gotten some magnificent coins from Mitch, and hope to get many more in the years ahead. Mitch is on my short list of dealers I buy coins from. Mark.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    "I had a similar dealing with Mitch"

Mark: Yep - I stand to lose a few grand there as well. image

Now I know where all the money has gone this year!!image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    he has my utmost respect and gratitude image

and always will

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    i do not always agree with mitch...but it has been my experience that he always keeps his word..and has a pretty cool kid to boot..
    bruce scher
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same scenerio, same outcome with me.
    Mitch bought several coins from me when the series was scorching hot and the check still cleared my bank when the series cooled a bit!

Mitch is the first I'd turn to if you want absolutely the best opportunity- buying or selling, today, with Contemporary coins (and Classics too!).
    I'm glad you started this thread Donn as sometimes it may be perceived there is an agenda when a Dealer is praised when in reality it is simply heartfelt appreciation.

peacockcoins

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I've owned my own business for 22 years. It's hard these days to find a business person that will conduct business with a handshake. They are out there, their just hard to find.

The sad truth is, these days you don't always get what you expect, even from a deal in writing. It's obvious from this post Mitch was brought up in an environment of principals and ethics. With respect to coins, I prefer to deal with those who conduct their business in this way. I also prefer a handshake to a written agreement/contract.

There are a couple of major dealers that frequent these forums that, in my opinion, conduct their business in this way. One being Pinnacle Rarities, the other Larry Whitlow. The rare coin business, especially the Modern issues, can be and many times are volatile for both dealers and collectors. It's nice to know there are some dealers of principle out there, and who they are.
    Dan
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    This is great advertising and I agree with Donn and the others but where did Mitch get all of this $ that he's losing in the first place?? Just kidding, if Mitch were not the "Godfather of all Modern coins" he would not be able to stay in business.
  • Options
    There are both good dealers and bad dealers out there. The key is finding a good honest dealer.
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    > Just kidding, if Mitch were not the "Godfather of all Modern coins" he would not be able to stay in business.
    And someday, he may come to you requesting a favor, making a request you can't refuse. image

-KHayse
  • Options
    well, what can I say.

an honest dealer is worth his weight in gold.

hey mitch would that be expensive image
    may the force be with you.

rob.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, too, have the utmost respect for MItch--both as a dealer (though I've only purchased smaller items from him) and, more importantly, as a human being. Someday I will have the pleasure of meeting him.

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    Hey guys thanks for the kind words. image

As you know, the modern market is tremedously volatile. It really does cut both ways. Sometimes I could sell a coin and the next day another one is made (my possible gain). Other days, I could just as easily buy a coin and that happen (my possible loss). Just treat customers exactly how you would want to be treated and the rest is really pretty easy.

I sat in auctions since Sunday and all day today from noon to near 9:00 p.m. From noon to 5:00 p.m., I bought coins for inventory. From 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., I sat in an auction room and tried to buy a pattern or two (unsuccessfully) for my pattern nickel collection.

I see it from both ends - I saw all the other dealers who attended these auctions from Sunday through tonight and missed all of the holiday with their families. I know what it takes to be a successful coin dealer. I also spent my evening tonight not being able to buy a single pattern coin, as prices were "through the roof" on what I was after. I sat with misc. collectors and felt the dissapointment of not being able to buy a coin.

It really does help to see the big picture from both sides of the fence. image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    ...not to mention, you sat there watching your clients' bids blown out of the water, in most cases, ending up with little for your efforts, but more "brownie points".
    ps. thanks for trying... image
  • Options
    RC: We did take a valient shot at that wonderful Lafayette Dollar tonight with the Sheppard pedigree. But, as many of us know, when MS68 from our boards wants a Commem badly enough, you generally either lose or pay stratospheric money! Fortunately, you already own a beautiful Lafayette in PCGS-MS67, so the loss hopefully was not too devastating image Yes, I earned -0- for the evening, but, the thrill of the hunt was priceless!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope the new owner sends in the cert. That should make a couple of board members very happy. image
  • Options
    The guy not only knows his coins, but his word is his bond. It's rare these days.

Triple A rating for Mr. Wondercoin from ...

Just having fun!

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    Mitch is a class act all the way ! ask a question about a coin you a buying and he will give you an honest answer even if it means not makeing the sale !!! he made a customer.
    NEWBIE, STILL HAVIN FUN !
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    As both a buyer from and seller to Mitch, he deserves the kudo's!
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    more kudo's

Bob
    collect all high grade Washingtons also Washingtons double dies,overmint marks and RPM's always buying
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    Same here.Nothing but a positive experience all around on some tough to find Kennedies at very fair prices for exceptional quality coins.If I ever assemble another set of moderns,Mitch is at the top of my list for finding the tough ones.
  • Options
    Mitch treated me right in our dealings, no double talk, no this is the price now but 15 mins later its something else, he helped me
    get some of the more hard to get coins in my collection and charged me a decent price. Allen
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Woops, placed comment on wrong thread.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one paid Mitch more for the coin he sold me than he originally asked for it. In reality, I asked him to handpick the coin for me knowing how fussy I am.

I was pleased with the coin. He picked out the coin just as if I had picked out the coin.

I rarely do that with dealers. I just had a feeling about Mitch. imageimage

He is not the cheapest guy on the block but you get what you pay for with him. If you want quality stuff you have to pay for it unless you want to spend months and years looking for it yourself with no guarantees.

But then again, I waas the agressive underbidder to his aluminum pattern cent he boughta couple of years ago . That must have cost him hundreds and hundreds. So I had to help him recoup some of that $$ too! image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    The man has no equal. He's a friend and confidant to any collector, whether he knows you or not.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    This thread is a pleasant cvhange from the far-too-common "bashing" threads we've seen the last few months!! And yes, I concur with all the kudo's. I have bought, sold and consigned to Mitch, and have nothing but praise for his coins, his personality and his business ethics.

Pete
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've long had a great deal of respect for Mitch. After reading a lot of his
    archived posts I also have a lot of respect for effort he puts into coins and
    posting here too.

He is a tremendous asset to these forums and to coins and coin collecting.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Mitch has always been the man and in my book always will be.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciated the comments image

Wondercoin

• Options
    I agree with all the comments. Mitch is the king!
  • Options
    Based on the feedback in this forum, I just made my first purchase from Mitch. He is Professional, knowledgable, and willing to work with you. I can't wait to receive my coins! I look forward to more deals with Mitch.

Ken
    My Collections:

Kenny's Bennies I
  • Options
    REDCENTS: Thanks for being a great customer during the time we have worked together (and your comment posted 3 days ago). And, please work out the slight misunderstanding with Datentype on that serial number issue, as I consider him a good friend as I do you. image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    And, please work out the slight misunderstanding with Datentype on that serial number issue, as I consider him a good friend as I do you.

image Well said Mitch.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! What praise. I've noted these comments in my little black book of "good dealers". Great to hear.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry, we will all soon have to kiddingly roast wondercoin just to keep him from getting a swell head! image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    "Don't worry, we will all soon have to kiddingly roast wondercoin just to keep him from getting a swell head! "

Swell head - not around this "jungle" image

Wondercoin

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    Tempus fugit.