Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Apart from these minor inconveniences, the coin is very attractive"

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
Holed and counterstamped 1799 Draped Bust Dollar.

Just thought that description was rather cute. image Anybody know what the C. Polk counterstamp is?

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    That is pretty neat. I wonder if ANACS would authenticate and net grade such a coin? I could see paying $250 for it if it were authenticated.
  • Options
    I'm not particularly worried about authentication with this seller.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but why doesn't it say dollar on it?

There's also a $100,000 1967 Proof 70 D/C Kennedy for sale on ebay, # 3025510083, with the minor inconvenience that it's graded by PCI. image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    drsvenghalidrsvenghali Posts: 291 ✭✭
    "Don't talk like an ignarosis."

I specialize in Wisconsin currency! Looking for information on WI national banknotes. Census stands at 12,318 notes.

**"Wisconsin National Bank Notes - 2nd Edition" is out!!!" Only $20PPd!!!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's also a $100,000 1967 Proof 70 D/C Kennedy for sale on ebay, # 3025510083, with the minor inconvenience that it's graded by PCI.

IMHO, seems to me that the price is more inconvenient than the slab.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Joe,

Back in the very olden days they didn't put the denomination on the coin. That's a more recent innovation. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    If it had "RUSS" counterstamped on it , I bet you would buy it in a instant.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911

<< <i>I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but why doesn't it say dollar on it?

Most early coins, including that Bust dollar, don't have the denomination on them. They go by size, weight, and metal ( gold, silver, copper).

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    That's an interesting coin. I wonder who c polk was & the story behind it. Might have been a dog tag for a civil war soldier or something. I find the term holed for "suspension" very imaginative. image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Dave Bowers is a counterstamp fan, he might know.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I find the term holed for "suspension" very imaginative.

image They make it sound almost desireable.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but why doesn't it say dollar on it? There's also a $100,000 1967 Proof 70 D/C Kennedy for sale on ebay, # 3025510083, with the minor inconvenience that it's graded by PCI. image Joe >>

Actually it is, three times, on the EDGE.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I find the term holed for "suspension" very imaginative. image They make it sound almost desireable. >>

In many ways, it is.

I bet this closes at between double to triple their estimate.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is pretty neat. I wonder if ANACS would authenticate and net grade such a coin? I could see paying $250 for it if it were authenticated

Why do you need to have it authenticated? The coin speaks for itself. It's real, so what's the problem?
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if his is the Polk that stamped the coin, But there was a Polk that was an artist circa 1799. Link
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    Well, it hammered down at $700 plus juice. Somebody liked it!

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file