Home U.S. Coin Forum

whats a rare coin with a hole worth?

Say you have an opportunity to by a key date rare coin - the only problem is it has a hole drilled in it because 150 years ago some guy put it in a necklace to declare his undying love for a lady he wants to be his wife -

Anyway how do you value it today?

Will NCS or ANACS net grade them with the hole still there? Say it would have been an XF40, what would they call it?

Has PCGS or NGC ever put into a slab a coin with a hole drilled in it that did not leave the mint that way?

Say a rare coin would be worth $500 if intact, what would you value it as with the hole?

Comments

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    A whole lot less!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At Least face value?
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    You mean, a HOLE lot less?
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always felt they are worth what a buyer will pay. No set value. I might only pay a few dollars but another might give 10x. I see cleaned problem coins on Ebay bring more than a coin thats right. Go figure.
    Larry

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rule of thumb for coins I have looked at 20%-40% of trends for coins in the equivalent grade.

The percentage goes up with the grade, i.e. an AU holed coin is worth proportionately more of the Trends value than a VG holed coin.

But don't collect this stuff, it is just junk image
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I seem to remeber that ANACS lowers the grade by about five grades. There are many coins that would still be worth a tremendous amount. Imagine a 1848 $2 1/2 "CAL" with a hole? Or a 1802 half dime? or a 1894-S dime? You'd still get thousands.

Tom
    Tom

• I've got a 1914S Buffalo nickel that is MS. Someone decided to make Jewelry out of it. image
  • lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    I think I saw something about an 1848 CAL quarter eagle with the obverse planed off (to make a love token?) and a hole through the A of CAL. I think it was mentioned on the Numisaddict forum.
    image"Darkside" gold
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    This one cost me $10:

I think, though, that it may have other problems besides just the hole. image

Russ, NCNE
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    Russ,
    Can you point out the other problems? Just can't seem to put a finger on it.
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The color looks all wrong to me. Maybe it's just the image.image
    Larry

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ,

It's nice to see that you're learning about other series' and problems other than haze and spotting! image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • I know ANACS will net grade the coin.Don't expect higher than net AG-3 if it is a circulated coin.It depends on the original grade it would of been without the hole.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    it's a situation where i wouldn't hate to get the coin doctored, ie plugged & retoned.

K S
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    "whats a rare coin with a hole worth?" Don't let a little hole bother you.

It's a little known fact that all coins have holes in them. They're very small, but they're there. Protons and neurons spin around each other like playground children holding hands creating microscopic holes in the coin. Proof of this is evidenced with X-Rays. Stack an Ike on top of a mint state chain cent (to demonstrate the time of minting has no effect) and then stack thow two coins on top of a three cent nickel. Tape them together and then tape the three of them to the bottom of a suitcase. Put a loaded handgun in the suitcase and then buy a ticket to Wahington DC.

When you go through the metal detector, claim your baggage (they'll want to talk to you) and later, ask you lawyer to obtain copies of the x-rays.

In those copies you'll see the outliines of the three coins stacked on top of each other, proving the existence of the tiny holes which allows the smaller coins to be seen.

So, don't let a little hole bother you. You'll have plenty of other things on your mind.

adrian
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    "Russ,

It's nice to see that you're learning about other series' and problems other than haze and spotting! "

Good one.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Protons and neurons" LMAO no wonder coin dealers are so nervous!
    Could the fact that the composition of all 3 coins is DIFFERENT be the reason? I think it is.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Anaconda,

Could a quark pass through a coin without changing the coins density and weight?

T
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seem to remeber that ANACS lowers the grade by about five grades. There are many coins that would still be worth a tremendous amount. Imagine a 1848 $2 1/2 "CAL" with a hole? Or a 1802 half dime? or a 1894-S dime? You'd still get thousands.

Those coins would not have holes for long. It would be worth it to have them plugged and repaired, usually by the fellow in Kentucky, who often does a great job. Sometimes he does such a great job that the crooks sell the coin as a "no problem" piece.

BTW I saw an 1848 CAL $2.50 gold piece that had been holded and turned into a love token (obverse was a love token) sell for $1,250.00.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ccrdragonccrdragon Posts: 2,697
    Actually Bajjerfan, most of the stuff we call solid is in fact (at the nuclear level) quite empty. Most of the solid stuff in the average house could be waded up into a basketball if the atoms were arranged so that all of the empty space was occupied... but you are correct. It is the different densities of the metals involved that would cause the three coins to show differently in the x-rays...
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Um, with or without the hat?

I ask because all my best holed coins are attached to my hat image I got the idea from Lord Marcovan who actually buys holed coins! I must admit I did buy the bust dime below. I inheirited the gold dollar.

• << <i>"Protons and neurons" LMAO no wonder coin dealers are so nervous!

Amazing....Neurons can pass through coins? that would be weird? On the other hand, I guess tiny particles like electrons, neutrons, and protons wouldn't be so weird. Maybe that's what was meant....image
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On this same topic, did anyone see the complete set of holed Indian head cents on display at Central States?image Really wild! The exhibitor stated that it took him something like 20 years to complete the set!

I am sure he was tempted to take matters into his own hands when he came down to the last few "holes"image
    "Maybe that's what was meant.... "

What was meant and what was actually said are not the same. I am sure that the poster being an attorney would not hesitate to use this little difference to his advantage in a court of law if needed. We know he probably meant neutrons and it was likely a typo, but in a legal situation it is not necessarily what you meant to say but what you actually did say that counts.
    theknowitalltroll;
    "Actually Bajjerfan, most of the stuff we call solid is in fact (at the nuclear level) quite empty. Most of the solid stuff in the average house could be waded up into a basketball if the atoms were arranged so that all of the empty space was occupied... but you are correct. It is the different densities of the metals'

I belive you mean to say that most of an atom is empty space. It is hard to imagine a more compact arrangement of atoms than pure metals.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>" It is hard to imagine a more compact arrangement of atoms than pure metals." >>

Actually that is not true, most folks can imagine diamond, which has a more compact arrangement than most metals. Diamond has a face centered cubic arrangement of atoms plus more atoms (of the same element) in half of the tetrahedral holes. Coinage metals just merely have a face-centered cubic arrangement.

Tom
    Tom

Getting back to your household comparison the molecules/atoms arrangement in your dinner fork are a lot more compact than the molecules in your wooden table top or your hankie. Last I heard there are only two ways to pack a bunch of the same sized marbles in a box assuming that the dimensions of the box are whole number multiples of the diameter of the marbles.
    Isn't it amazing how these threads seem to change course.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • carl, its nice to finally see the hat that Ive heard (and thought) so much about.

Also, what if a single atom of carbon-14, uranium (235 or 238), some radio-gold, or tritium were to get into a coin. Would the disentegration of the atom cause a (sub-atomic) hole? or would some of the alpha, or beta particles alter other atoms in the coin? As you can see, the PCGS boards are fun, but completely useless information wise (unless you want to discuss subatomic stuff).
    Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file