Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are Graded Coins Worth a Premium?

Would you pay a small premium for a coin that has been graded by one of the mighty triumvirate of grading services over a raw coin of the same grade?
Just My 2 Cents,
Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7

Comments

• Options
    ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278
    Yes; a small premium is in order to cover fees for authentication should one require rapid funds in a "sight unseen" market.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I have and will continue to do so for 3 reasons. Authenticity, (an approximate) Grade, and to steer clear of problem coins.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    There are some who are known to be willing to pay a $38,000+ premium for a specific Lincoln Cent. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    WoodwindWoodwind Posts: 486
    I would, but the key word here is "small" premium. Considering all the raw problem classic coins (cleaned, whizzed, PVC) that are out there that I don't completely know how to detect, I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for the assurance and "guarantee" that I am purchasing a problem free coin.

Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A better way to put it is that for coins in the $200 and up range, the raw (ungraded) coins often sell at a discount. The reasons are several:

1. It is easier to resell a certified coin
    2. The grade has been established the dealer does not have to risk what the grading services will grade it.
    3. If it is rare a date, the it has been certified as genuine.

Coins price below $200 sometimes carry a small premium because of the grading fees, but often some or all of that money that has been spent on the coin is lost.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    usually in most cases

grading ngc/pcgs maximises the value of a coin and in some/lots of cases................way way too much
    but such is the coin game

the slabs are great just make sure you buy the coin not the holder

as in the up and coming years i think many coins where the plastic makes up a large percentage of value many owners of such slabs are going to lose their kishkies

sincerely michael
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Yes, and this will get the slab haters mad at me... Yes I would, because you are not only buying the coin, you're buying the insurance of the slab. In any market, in any situation, when you have an item where a company stands behind it and one where a company does not stand behind it, the one that stands behind the item can safely charge more -- and the customer is willing to pay more.

While some raw coin dealers stand behind their product (good for them!!), the many deals and situations mentioned on this board indicate that they are a minority.

Neil
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Bill, in that, I won't pay a premium BECAUSE a coin is slabbed, I would expect a discount commensurate with any perceived risk, because a coin is NOT slabbed.

OR, when I purchase raw coins, I always try to include a provision for return if it doesn't get slabbed. Mind you, the return is based on it slabbing at a particular grade, only that it gets into a reputable slab.

Of course, this is a generality and I will CONSIDER any acquisition based on the merits of the individual coin.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    I'll buy a coin FASTER if graded by the big 3-if its a rare date-i won't buy it UNLESS its in a holder-I've seen way too many great doctoring jobs and i don't want to be the brunt of one. PLUS-YOU SLEEP BETTER AFTER A CERTIFIED BUY.
    IMHO
    Regards
    Mike Rogers
    ultramike@collector.org
    much rather be tried by 12 as carried by six !~!

SHOOT FIRST-QUESTIONS L8TR...

If its nice and you REALLY like it " buy it " sure beats laying awake wishin you had, PLUS you will never forget or FORGIVE YOURSELF for letting it get away-and remember you can always pedel it to regain most of $ . Just one of many of " buying politics I utilize.
    Besides I really lost sleep and beat myself up yo learn this simple procedure !~!
  • Options
    Would you pay a small premium for a coin that has been graded by one of the mighty triumvirate of grading services over a raw coin of the same grade?

Yes, if it is a premium coin.
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    no.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file