Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the value of a cleaned/whizzed coin?

Say you have a coin that looks as good as a slabbed MS64, yet the surface has been altered.

Using the price guide below, what would the altered coin be worth?

66 - $19,500
65 - $11,000
64 - $3,250
63 - $1,350
60 - $455
55 - $285
40 - $170
20 - $135
8 - $79

My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I think if it wasn't too bad maybe the 64 would drop to a 55------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    Reminds me of the poor lady on the antique roadshow who was so happy to learn that her table was worth $1500, untill she learned that if she hadn't cleaned and polished it for the show that it would have been worth $30,000 image
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Cleaned? Drop it to 55.

Whizzed? Drop it to 40.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    bogus question unless you tell us what hte coin is. if it's a "rare buffalo dollar" for exapmle, value drops to five bucks . if it's a starred-reverse large cent, it would not have nearly that kind of drop

K S
  • smprfismprfi Posts: 874
    I have been very fortunate in this area.I have sold four or five coins like that,can't remember exactly.Listed on ebay and stated that the coin came back from pcgs as such.Always got my money back and it was always close to price guide values.Based on my experiences I would say your coin would fall between 64 and 65 money.
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Ok, let me jump in to the fray. I have a very nice looking 1861 Indian Cent. A really FULL strike. Feathers are all there, gorgeous coin. You look very closely, it has hairlines from cleaning. Color is very attractive. Without the hairlines, a MS-64 all the way. What would you net grade it to be?

Tom
    Tom

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, let me jump in to the fray. I have a very nice looking 1861 Indian Cent. A really FULL strike. Feathers are all there, gorgeous coin. You look very closely, it has hairlines from cleaning. Color is very attractive. Without the hairlines, a MS-64 all the way. What would you net grade it to be?

If the hairlines are very light, but all over the coin, the market grade would be around MS-61, but you would probably have to send the coin to ANACS to get it. If they are heavier and obvious to an experienced collector, you are looking at an AU grade or maybe even EF.

Here's an example. A local dealer had two 1843-C $2.50 gold coins for sale. One was a SEGS MS-63 with a notation, “lightly brushed.” The second was a PCGS MS-64. At first blush the two coins looked identical, but at certain angles you could see some hairlines from 10 to 12 o’clock on the SEGS coin. The PCGS MS-64 sold for over $20,000 very quickly. The SEGS coin was a very slow seller at $6,500. I finally sold the coin for that dealer to another dealer for around $5,000.

These hairlines didn’t amount to much of anything IMO. I would have much rather had the SEGS coin at the asking price than a slider in an MS-63 holder at $10,000. But since the hairlines probably precluded getting the coin into an NGC or PCGS slab the coin was in a SEGS holder and tough to sell.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ANA guide says a whizzed coin can grade no higher than AU 50.

I just got a whizzed Walker on eBay, slabbed by ANACS...I wanted an actual one as an education piece...it was AU details, but netted an EF 40, so it lost at least 10 points.
  • BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭
    This is an interesting thread. I've been sitting on an 1896-O Morgan with high AU/BU details that appears to have been whizzed and is now toning nicely along the rims. I got the coin for $30.00 on Ebay, but could not send it back. You guys are making me feel a little better.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • paigowjohnnypaigowjohnny Posts: 4,257
    Blackhawk...what makes you think it's whizzed.

That's why I bought a slabber identified as a whizzer....I read all the books but can't say I've really seen one I KNOW to be whizzed. I may have a whole book of 'em and not know it...image
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>ANA guide says a whizzed coin can grade no higher than AU 50. >>

Thanks for info. I didn't know thatimage
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • paigowjohnnypaigowjohnny Posts: 4,257
    Now also...according to the ANA guide...cleaned coins with hairlines can grade in the MS grades....but you won't see many grading services...well at least the reputable ones...giving anything but a bodybag....they don't want those coins in their holders. Interesting...
  • BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭
    Paigowjohnny,

The coin has a different look to the surface, sort of a matte finish-it doesn't look like any other Morgan I've seen in it's condition. If you look with a loupe, you can see a smoothing of the edges of any surface imperfections. Everything looks a little too rounded.
    "Have a nice day!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file