Home U.S. Coin Forum

Crazy Bids for this 2001 Buffalo

Is it me or has Numismatics gone stupid?
2001 Buffalo PCGS PR70DCAM

Comments

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy.... I might get flamed for this but aren't almost all these at least PR69 dcam? I mean if you got a 67 or 68 it's probably a defect. I bought 2 of these when they came out. Gave one as a gift to my nephew. Giving the other one to my Granddaughter. I don't see a mark or anything on them. Some people go by pops and I guess that's why the price is soooooo high on the link given. But just like so many other low pops.... how many people that aren't into pops actually submit them?
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • absolutely absurd. and he has a pretty high rating, one would think he would realize that he'll never come close to recouping his investment. plus seller lists his coins at outragous prices. he's been selling on ebay for some time and only has a 110 rating. shows very few spending stupid money on his coins. once tried to sell me a coin for $100 PLUS and the Retail on the coin was $50. the law of averages, he justs needs one fool a month to make $$. looks like he found this month's fool.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    The high bidder is triplexotica, name sounds familiar but I can't place it?------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • triplexotica - 2nd rate no reserve seller that uses a program to cancel his auctions at the last seconds if the high bids are too low... image
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    If you are saying the buyers background is questionable so then maybe this auction could be rigged ? Wouldnt the ebay fees be huge and collectable?
    This cant be real unless.....this is the start of rumbling from an approaching stampede of bulls.

YCCTidewater.com
    Oops Im sorry I mistakenly thought this auction was closedimage

So there is high liklyhood someone will have another bogus reason to end this auction early. Darn it image
    I thought this was for real.
    YCCTidewater.com
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i wonder what this coin is worth outside of the holder? what would someone pay a dealer on the floor of the current central states show for this coin? in this holder and out of this holder?

wow can you imagine that this coin sold for more than a really nice solid good grade chain cent

this coin SOLD FOR more than a superb gem proof 67 original monster 1937 buffalo nickel

i guress the list goes on and on

am i missing something here??????????????????????????????

sincerely michael
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    image Wow - it's now at $5200 image

There was a PCGS article last year on how they were trading for $2800 at their peek.

I bought a pair MS70/PR70DC Buffalos for $3500 last year but had an epiphany about PR70DC's and sold all mine.

It looks like I should have held on to them a little longer.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    PCGS has a POP of 1 and over 500 in 69Dcam! Go figure! It is an ongoing problem with their tight grades of releasing pops of 1 in a 70! Drives the price through the roof for no obvious reason. I'd love to see a group of 69Dcams and that 1 70 and compare the bunch!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This bidder must be drinking Kool Aid that has been spiked with something illegal.

OK modern guys. You can flame me now, but remember everything has an upper limit when it comes to price. This coin is way beyond its Peter Principle. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The high bidder is triplexotica, name sounds familiar but I can't place it?------BigE >>

He was here on the boards around the end of last year but haven't seen him for a while.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Following up Michael's comment.

I sold a 1936 PCGS Brilliant Proof-67 Buffalo Nickel to a dealer this year for just under $4,000. The coin was a brilliant white GEM. Here's the REAL coin with a mintage that is far lower than this silver commemorative (4,420, including the satin and brilliant finishes vs. 25,000) and yet this coin is now worth more than $1,200 more.

REGISTRY FEVER. It's financially fatal desease. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Absolute insanity. For that much money, I could buy nice MS 1903-S and 1904-S Morgans, a PCGS PF69DCAM Buffalo buck, and probably have change left over. I keep wondering when the high grade modern bubble is going to burst, and who is going to get caught holding the bag.
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am just glad this money is chasing 2001 Buffalo's, and not bust halves.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    If I recall correctly, the first PR70 Buffalo dollar went for about $2000 on Ebay, shortly after issue, and was sold by DHRC (I know, it's only a coincidence). I received 40 Buffalo dollars directly from the from the mint and I have one I believe is a 70, but I'm not going to waste money on sending it in and have it come back 69.
  • There are 22 in PR70 and 5701 in PR69!! What a RUSE!! image
    Glenn
  • Wasn't David Hall selling a MS70 and PR70DCAM pair through a mailer a while back? And wasn't the price something like $4795 for the pair?
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Be glad the money is chasing these coins. It is hard to fathom this guy as anything but a speculator (if its on the up and up). $$$ like this going into the classics would dry up anything a lot of folks could afford!! image
    Wondo

• Cameo CCCameo CC Posts: 663
    No it is not a shill operation. That's a big number.

Todd
    Todd Abbey
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Last Buffalo I saw in 70 went for $1500.00, 6 months ago or so. Most sold aren't graded by PCGS. Most are ICG, or SEGS. That, I think says a lot. I say good for seller. Makes me want to consider selling mine.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
    Wonder the ebay difference between Buf70s in off-brand holders. If they want to give their money away we should be abliged and take it. image
    I ll take the 36 glossy proof
    YCCTidewater.com
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For that kind of money I could almost get a really good coin like an MS-67 1969 quarter.

A fool and his money...

(Of course I have nothing against the Buffalo Dollar or anyone who
    should choose to collect them. I was just ribbing the legions of
    modern bashers.)
    Tempus fugit.
  • barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,229
    Remembr when the original issue price was 39.95 ?

Well, thats not the worst of it, we were offered 5 of them at 9.95 a piece and i never got around to it!!! Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,229
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have 155 raw and ungraded proof and uncirculated 2001 bufalo silver dollars that I paid LESS for ALL of them directly from the US Mint than that one coin alone. By the way the price was I believe, $30 and $32 DELIVERED from the US Mint. The two coin set of which I have 5, I believe I paid $59.95, but I now forget.

Hmm, maybe time to bring them in for grading by PCGS?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Oreville says is what I was getting at earlier in this thread. He has a bunch and hasn't bothered to send them in as most people don't. I like issues like this in the nice plush Mint package. Just like the Proof SAE I like the mint package. I don't hardly buy stuff like that, mainly gifts for family, or my special Granddaughter.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file