Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Since no one here lived in the 1850's, no one can answer this thought about flying eagle cents; but

I'm a type collector, while my main interest is barber quarters and halves, i also [when i activley collect] look for outstanding examples by type in mint state in series i can afford for all mint state type coins in my financial reach.

I have never purchased a flying eagle cent for 2 reasons; 1. there is to wide of a price difference between the grade of 64-65 and 66

2. They all look like au coins of varying levels to me with a rub in the luster and i don't beleive they came from the mint that way!!!!

If you have a picture of a flying eagle cent that proves me wrong please post it here. Thanks, Les
The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.

Comments

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you will find nice coins graded MS65.

I hope others respond to the question on "rub".

In some sense, I would say that this series is a good one for type collectors on a budget, because there are very nice AU coins available!

In any case, here is a PCGS MS65 example:

(PS - the "haze" that appears on the image is not apparent on the real coin!)

Higashiyama
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

Higashiyama, nice coin!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    go w/ ms-64

K S
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many if not most Flying Eagle cents were poorly struck. The weakness was often seen on the eagle's tail and sometimes on the body, especially in the area of the bird's belly. Many pieces were also poorly struck in the area if "One Cent" on the reverse and sometimes on the wreath opposite the eagle's head and tail. These strike problems accounted for the early end to the design.

Poor strikes immediately disqualify a Flying Eagle from receiving any grade higher than MS-63 IMO. Well, struck attractive coins are out there, but you have to hunt for them. You also have to be very careful when it comes to slab grade MS-65 coins. Many of them just don’t measure up.

Here’s the coin from my collection. It’s an MS-64. If you can imagine this coin without the marks in the field, you can get a good idea of what an MS-65 or even 66 should look like.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Very nice Bill, anyone who knows my collecting habits knows i'm a luster freak and that sure has most of the slabbed 65's i'e seen beat. Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Since no one here lived in the 1850's, no one can answer this thought about flying eagle cents; but
    i remember when them itty bitty cents came out my pappy said they wudin nuff for even coach fare and coach master
    wouldnt take them pieces of hen scratch.And this country is going to hell in a hand basket and it was them damn yankees fault.Next thang ya know they gonna wanna take our slaves away from us...GEES!!!!!!
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Since no one here lived in the 1850's, no one can answer this

I believe that i lived during this time in History as well as other times.

Opps wrong Pic posted

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Wow!!!!,Those are some awful well preserved bagmarks for a one hundred and twenty year old silver dollar,if I do say so myself.
    Clean down to the seat of the stars.

• Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the striking problem caused the type of metal flow in the fields that doesn't reflect light, giving many a dull look over time. The highly lustrous exceptions usually have smoother, prooflike surfaces. It's tough to find a glimmering, original FE at any grade but there are some nice slightly mellowed ones with a decent amount of lustre. The type that don't have dull patches when you tilt them. I'm guessing the weak strikes combined with those dull patches are the AU look you're talking about.

Both of these are MS66s. The first and better struck one has smooth prooflike fields, the second has more texture in the fields and acquired more of a skin.

• Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    Nice flyers, shylock! Are those yours?
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Can you Flying Eagle gurus take a look at the coin in this auction link and tell me why it is only a MS62. It looks better to me, but I really don't know what I'm looking at.

Link

Bill
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    Paul, The first of the 2 images you posted was the one i like the best. {WOW} but with 65's trading for 3-4 k, I can't imagine i could afford a beauty like that even if i was still working. That first one you posted and the 64 Bill jones posted are the ones i would go for if i had ever personally run across them, unfortunatly, i've never seen one that nice in person [just my luck] Les
  • Options
    Bustman -- I wish. The first one RARCOA had in their inventory a few years ago and I still regret not selling a body part to buy it. I think the second is a Heritage lot I've had filed away for a while. I still own and enjoy the beauty I purchased from you.

Bill -- The darker areas in the hard to get at places, like the date, make me wonder if the Ebay FE once had a cleaning and would bodybag. But it still looks like a nice coin for the right price.
  • Options
    Les -- I share the same finicky attitude about the series. I love the design but have issues with most of the coins for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. MS64s like Bill's are a great buy but good luck finding them. The price jump and wide range of quality above MS64 makes me even pickier, which is why I regret not buying the RARCOA coin at what looks like a great price today. I eventually purchased a beautiful MS65 from Bustman, with some cool strike doubling to boot (his image).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file