Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

dslsports - couple payment questions

I realize these guys run 1000's of auctions at a time and I don't expect to hear from them right away even though I followed up the winning with a email for my mailing address and question about insurance.

So here is my question to folks with experience of buying from DSL since this is the first time I've ever won anything from themimageoes anyone know if the $4 for a single card won at $26 equalling $30 will cover insurance?And does anyone have a payment address for these guys because I'd like to drop a payment in the mail soon.Or should I just wait to hear from these guys?

Thanks!

Rob

Comments

• Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Wait to hear from them...they should be sending you an automated email from AuctionHelper soon. How long ago did you win the auciton? I would give it a day.

John
  • Options
    Discount Sportscard Co.
    17145 Von Karman Ave
    Suite 106
    Irvine, CA 92614

I don't know if that covers insurance or not, but you should get an automated form from them.
    I too just won my first auctions from them.
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    I have never seen insurance on my packages . And dont dare email for a scan. I try not to buy from them.

James
    x
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    James,what do you mean -don't email for a scan?You mean asking for a scan of an insurance receipt?

DBJ and John, thanks!I'll have everything ready for them and will wait to hear from them but don't expect to have my email question answered.

Rarely do I ever buy from sellers who don't except credit cards or Paypal.

John,I won the auction this past evening so I guess they'll email an auctionwatch invoice in the next 24 hours.

I'm sure everything will be fine but for $4 I hope to be insured in the event of a mishap.

Thanks guys!
  • Options
    Rone

Sorry I am too brief sometimes, I meant dont email for a a scan of a card from an auction. THey will act like you wanted a loan. image
    x
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    RobE...

Hey Rob. I've purchased lots of cards from them...Never a problem. I DO , however wish they would take Paypal....

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I too! have never had a problem with them. Their shipping rate is high if you only win a card or 2. I believe its $4.00 for 1 card, $6.00 for 2 and $8.00 for 3 or more. One time I won 30 to 40 cards so the $8.00 shippping was a bargain. other times I've won 2 cards and $6.00 wasn't so good. But I always formulate the shipping fees in my bids so I was still happy with the end result...jay
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Hey Rob, off on a different topic, you have put together a really nice 1980 set. You've got a #1 card PSA 10, Schmidt PSA 10, Ozzie Smith PSA 10, and Reggie Jackson PSA 10. That's crazy! Out of all the 1980 that I've opened, the #1 Yaz card, the Schmidt card, and the Reggie card have been 3 of the toughest to find mint. Looks like you've been dropping some nice change lately on this set. Great job!
  • Options
    Thanks,Steve....It's a work in progress and I'm contemplating a different way to go about assembling the set in the long term but the goal is to reach 100% first in 8 or better and then take it from there.I just got the Schmidt last week and have been looking for one since I had my hands on two last fall that are visible in my about Me ebay page.I'll have a scan up soon of Schmitty after I put up the already scanned 9s in progress in the mid to late 400s.

On the original topic here,they just sent the auctionwatch thing and no response to my insurance question.

Hey Larry,I'm sure everything will be just fine too but I hope in the event of those rare problems that do occur there is some sort of coverage.I'm always reluctant to buy without a net or without Paypal but this time I couldn't resist.image

James,I hear ya.Sometimes I'm doing too many things at once and jump in here during a break and fail to make myself understood.

Actually this post is a perfect example of a mistake since it's posted in the wrong forum.image
  • Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Does anyone know if DSLSPORTS is an actual store? I won one of their auctions over the weekend and asked if I could pick the item up since they are local to me. I don't want to impede on someone's residence, but if it is a retail store, I don't think it should be a problem if I pick the item up.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Discount Sportscard is very big on auction helper. They are very slow in answering questions(like how much is insurance and shipping)
    and claim they are too big to send a personal e-mail on what the total is and a reminder of their address.

Saying this, I have bought cards from them several times and have never had a problem--although surprising they do wait for my check to clear before sending merchandise.

Davalilo
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Rob, don not worry about DSL. I have bought around 50 cards from them - never a problem with the shipping or the card.

They should take PayPal
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I've probably won over 300 auctions from DSL Sports over the years -- and through some different collecting phases. No -- they do not offer the most personal service out there. Yes -- their postage fees for one auction winning seem high (but it is very fair for multiple winnings). However, at the end of the day, I have never had a problem with shipping from them, and I have consistently been pleased with the product they provide. They always provide a clear, accurate scan of the front of the card in any decent-sized auction I've ever been on, and they always seem to fairly display the card they are selling.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Over 20 auctions won, no problems.
    Last package came with Insurance, 2 before did not?

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    I'm 99% certain that their shipping fee includes USPS insurance (based on cards I've received from them). $4 is still a little high for a bubble mailer with insurance (especially for cards with a declared value of $50 or less), but at least you know their terms before you bid ...

Robert
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    i have won about 100 auctions from them and never a problem. i am with the masses and wished they took paypal. fill out auction helper
    and put a money order in the mail. don't email them because you will get no response. i am sure they insure over 50 and it's not in their best interest to insure the nickel and dime stuff ,it would be easier to refund your money then to deal with the postal bs.

on another note i wished i had a buc for every DSL thread started image
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Yo Rob, I've won many auctions from them, no problems other than Darn slow communication and they do not take PayPal. You know they got your payment, because they leave you feedback on E-BAy. If memory serves, the S&H amount DOES include insurance, but do yourself a favor and send them an email asking if it does. they will eventually answer and let you know. I think part of their delay is they sell SO MUCH STUFF, that it overwhlems them and their communications system. They do not us automated invoicing or checkout.
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage

• Options
    jeff the rose record breaker is in the mail thanks
    Collector Focus

• Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    I have purchased in the neighborhood of 100 cards from DSL as well with no problems. The one time I communicated with them by email, I received a fairly quick reply - less than 12 hours I think. The only difference was that my email was requesting a card that had not sold on ebay. They sold it to me for the minimum bid and included it with another order I had already placed. My check and the card crossed in the mail and I received it before my check had cleared. That is definitely not the standard though. Anticipate receiving the card 2-3 weeks after sending payment.

In my opinion, the paypal fees that they would incur would be more than offset by the additional bids they'd receive.

JEB.
  • Options
    paypal is great if your the buyer but imagine the amount of emails dsl would get after auction end. it's alot easier to have someone open mail and look up lot numbers then to sift through 400 emails on who paid and who didn't. i can see why they don't take paypal.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    I think they self-insure up to a certain amount. I have bought several higher priced cards from them and they came insured. I have also bought several lower priced cards and they were not insured. One of them, a PSA 9 1988 Topps Tiffany George Brett, came crushed in the mail. I sent it back and DSL replaced it with another from their stock (they also offered me a refund or credit towards another purchase), no questions asked. I have been more than satisfied with their service.

Thanks

Randy
    Always buying George Brett Gem Mint Cards!
  • Options
    Got my answer! image

Yes it does, your package will be fully insured. Thanks!!
    DISCOUNT SPORTSCARD CO
    17145 VON KARMAN AVE. SUITE 106
    IRVINE, CA 92614

Thanks for all the help, folks!image
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    DSL is fantastic.hundreds of purchases and
    always well packaged and timely arrival.
    do you buyers know paypal won't protect you
    from fraudulent purchases?sellers know there
    are risks taking paypal as well.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I thought "any seller whom does not take paypal is a seller to avoid"
    .......so now what's the story PC......
    how about a cryptic little reply expousing some more of your wisdom

On Topic: DSL is solid, they get lots of sliders, but so do I.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>paypal is great if your the buyer but imagine the amount of emails dsl would get after auction end >>

Whats the difference in getting many Paypal announcements that have money sent into your account then to have many envelopes to open and decipher what they won, and to make sure the checks clear. Paypal is great for the seller as well as the buyer...jay
  • Options
    you got me? thats the best i could come up with.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Hey -- love DSL or hate DSL -- they have a high volume business that generates a ton of cash flow. By not accepting Paypal, he is eliminating potentially 2 to 3 percent of unnecessary overhead on numerous transactions. Do I wish he took Paypal? Yes. But he runs a very successful business model that has made him oodles of money -- and he just does not want to share any more of it with Ebay/Paypal than is absolutely necessary.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    They also loose my business because they won't ship internationally. They always seem to have cards I need and they always go for less that I would have bid for them.

Mattimage
    UK based collector.
  • Options
    Matt:

Surely you must have some collector friends in the states who would be willing to be "brokers" for you for some sort of nominal fee...?
  • Options
    Yes I have had people offers of help from several board members and I have some family in NYC but it's the added hassle and expense. I'm too impatient.image

Matt
    UK based collector.
  • Options
    When you complete the auctionwatch invoice, it adds a phone number for Discount Sportscards. I just call and they answer my questions. I'm glad they don't take Paypal. I would spend more and wouldn't get the cards I wanted at reasonable prices.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    <<I'm glad they don't take Paypal. I would spend more and wouldn't get the cards I wanted at reasonable prices. >>

Did I hear the word budget? I can't talk with people like you anymore! image
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I dont take Paypal or ship internationally. The reason has been stated. As seller you have no protection, also the same if your a buyer. I dont ship internationally for similar reasons. I think there are alot of volume sellers that think the same way. I accepted Ebay Payments because you were protected. I loved it. I wish Ebay still had it.

Bob-gaspipe26
  • Options

Paypal Seller Protection Policy

What is the Seller Protection Policy?

Sellers will not be held liable for chargebacks due to fraud (including payments made with stolen credit cards and false claims of non-shipment) when they follow the rules of our Seller Protection Policy:

The seller has a Verified U.S. or Canadian Business or Premier Account
    The seller ships to the buyer's Confirmed Address.
    The seller ships within 7 days of receiving payment.
    The seller can provide reasonable proof-of-shipment which can be tracked online. This document must show that you shipped to the buyer's Confirmed Address. For items valued at $250 or more, you must include a signature from the recipient as proof of receipt.
    The seller ships tangible goods. Since comparable widely-accepted proof-of-shipment methods are not currently available for intangible goods and services, we are currently unable to offer Seller Protection for digital goods and other electronically-delivered items.
    The seller accepted a single payment from one PayPal account for a purchase.
    The seller shipped to a domestic (U.S.) buyer at a U.S. address.
    When a complaint occurs, sellers need to provide complete information within 7 days of a request from PayPal. However, if PayPal is required by the credit card association to respond immediately to resolve a chargeback, sellers must provide the information within 3 days. PayPal will indicate the response time required in the email message sent to the seller.

John
  • Options
    Did I hear the word budget? I can't talk with people like you anymore!

That's the problem. The way I've been spending, the word budget has flown out the windowimage
    At least that's what Mrs. Fabfrank says.
  • Options
    Is that you Frank Smith?Too bad you don't want to trade your 2 10s for my 2 9s and some cash which would temporairly assist the budget and Mrs.Fabimage
  • Options
    Sorry RobE, wrong Frank. Although I would do that trade, whatever cards they may be.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    When I sell on Ebay, I state that I will ship anywhere in the world but anything that is uninsured, is on the buyer. I leave all the options up to the buyer. I don't make anybody buy insurance. If they want to pay the extra 20 bucks or whatever to insure it to Japan, then they can. If not, it's their risk. I've had people insure a $7 card and not insure a $100 card. I take PayPal also. I want to include as many possible bidders as I can.
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry RobE, wrong Frank. Although I would do that trade, whatever cards they may be. >>

LOL! All this time Smith and I were chatting I thought he was you.Turns out that Late 1970 Topps "Funky Frank" was not you. image

Learn something new around here every day.image
  • Options
    The results are finally in:Got the card and it's as solid as a 10 could be and has an awesome surface,perfect corners and decent centering all around.T/B is alittle off but it looks great.And it has a better color compared to the 9 it's replacing.

I take it they self insure the shipping and that's fine with me.

All and all - SMOOTH TRANSACTION THANKS!

I am pleased.

• Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    RobE,

Congratulations on a nice 10! I received a box of 8 nice cards from DSL today. As I've stated before, although they don't accept any form of online payment, they do provide quality service, great cards, and fast turn around time. This time, I received my cards 11 days after the auctions closed (sent payment by personal check the next day). I think they've improved their turnaround time over the past few months. I wonder if they may be reading these posts? image

JEB.
  • Options
    Kudos to DSL...I won my first auction from them and received the card within 10 days (which is great since I paid with a check). I was not sure how long it would take due to their volume.

In addition, they did not leave my feedback "hostage"....meaning they left feedback WHEN they received payment and not wait till I left feedback (so they could leave a neg for me if I left one for them).

Thats stuff really bugs me.

John
  • Options
    CubfanCubfan Posts: 1,545
    I have won 30+ auctions with DSL (including 2 received last week) and have never had a problem or issue with the service or the cards.

KP
  • Options
    BuckwheatBuckwheat Posts: 644
    Where does DSL get all of the vintage material they have graded and sell??
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    where duhh!!! CASES AND BOXs AND PACKS....JEESH. I dont know but he always has quantity of everything.

James
    x
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Seem to get the nod from 8 to 9, and from 9 to 10.
    And what's wrong with that ?

If I had enough cards to submit every month, I'd expect nothing less !
    Get real, it's business 101, quanity discount, not only in cost, but in over grades.

Just kidding of course ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options

<< <i>RobE,

Congratulations on a nice 10! I received a box of 8 nice cards from DSL today. As I've stated before, although they don't accept any form of online payment, they do provide quality service, great cards, and fast turn around time. This time, I received my cards 11 days after the auctions closed (sent payment by personal check the next day). I think they've improved their turnaround time over the past few months. I wonder if they may be reading these posts? image

JEB. >>

Jeb,thanks!After this experience I kind of regret passing on quite a few things they had which I needed in the past.I'm not a big fan of sending out or receiving checks and was always reluctant to bid on dls cards because of the history of mixed reviews.From personal experience I'm 100% satisfied in every aspect and will mostlikely bid again when the check book permits. image

Auction won 4/28 - invoice received 4/28 - insurance question answered 4/29 - payment sent 4/29 or 4/30 - Payment received 5/6 - card arrived 5/9.What else could one possibly ask for?

Nice card,great price,can't complain about the condition of it, or the amount of time it took for everything. 12 whole days from coast to coast!

• Options
    RobE,

I don't understand why you seem to be so surprised that your transaction with DSL went smooth. DSL has almost 52,000 positive feedbacks and only 34 negatives. Think about it.
  • Options
    Hi Ken,I'm not surprised everything went great.It's just that this was my first auction and like I said before many folks had mixed reviews about them.Overgraded cards,no online payments,10 days for checks to clear and eternal shipping methods.

My concern was insurance coverage and when they get my check are they going to hold it for 10 days which they didn't.However when everything was all said and done none of this occured with my lone transaction with them.

They get a thumbs up from me on all counts and I hope to do it again anytime soon.

• Options
    baurfan no longer accepts paypal
    Collector Focus