Home U.S. Coin Forum

Plaster models for US coins

Does anyone out there have any of the original plaster models used to show the Commission of Fine Arts proposed designs for US coins?

If so, what one(s). Doing a little research.

njcoincrank
www.numismaticamericana.com

Comments

• njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    What? No replies at all. Nothing?

njcoincrank
  • MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    You might want to try contacting the Commission of Fine Arts. Maybe they could direct you towards a few.
  • mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    23 minutes between posts on Sunday night on Easter isn't really much time image

check back in a day or 2 for real results.

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
    Got one PM. Anyone else out there with such items?

njcoincrank
    ttt
    ttt
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    23 minutes between posts on Sunday night on Easter isn't really much time

Heck, it's looking like 23 days between posts would be pretty good!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't mine, but it was sold in 2009. You may be able to reach the owner through Bill Shamhart of Numismatic Americana.

How many did you end up finding?
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Heck, it's looking like 23 days between posts would be pretty good! >>

Don't you think waiting 11 years for an answer shows some pretty good patience?

<< <i>

<< <i>Heck, it's looking like 23 days between posts would be pretty good! >>

Don't you think waiting 11 years for an answer shows some pretty good patience? >>

Numismatic research can take a long time. Patience is a virtue in this area image

That being said, it's nice some of these plasters are seeing the light of day now. It seems that many of these plasters were held by the artists and weren't available to the numismatic community until the distribution of their estates. Perhaps with the rise of the Internet, information on more of these will become available.

For the above, Winfred Milton Grandy had an illustrious career including a degree from Yale Art School in which he studied sculpture. He graduated in 1931, the same year he submitted the above plaster. I wonder if it would be possible to identify Winfred's professors at Yale.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that there is much any way that any of us could own one of these, especially if the design were to be adopted. The Treasury frowns on people owning coin making devices that might get used in some way.

The closed thing I have ever read about concerned a galvano that was used to make the Pilgrim commemorative half dollar. From what I have read that piece hung in a New York City restaurant for a number of years. The lettering on the Pilgrim is a bit uneven, but it is not that obvious because the coin is small. The crudeness showed through on that galvano from what I've read because the diameter was probably 12 to 14 inches.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This isn't mine, but it was sold in 2009. You may be able to reach the owner through Bill Shamhart of Numismatic Americana. >>

I'm sure the OP has already spoken to Bill Shamhart - probably multiple times every day.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I'm sure the OP has already spoken to Bill Shamhart - probably multiple times every day." image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

<< <i>"I'm sure the OP has already spoken to Bill Shamhart - probably multiple times every day." image >>

Awesome post image

BTW, great plaster Bill. Love the design on that one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file