Home U.S. Coin Forum

Morgan Mint Slab - Looks the same as ICG

There was a thread a few weeks back about the Morgan Mint slab that appeared to be identical to an ICG holder. I bought one off ebay and it just came in today. The slab looks identical and has the same color, plastic and shape. The ICG and Morgan Mint slab lock together and everything matches up. The label is of course different but I wonder if they copied the ICG slab, or if ICG sold them the plastic/molds for their own holder.

imageimage

Cameron Kiefer

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ICG probably sold it- the slab would have a patent, and to copy it would result in a slew of legal problems.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    They probably got ICG to slab it for them or did it under license.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Well I just sent an e-mail off to ICG asking them about the relationship between them and the Morgan Mint slabs. Hopefully they will send me back an answer. I think there is a good chance they will. ICG has been one of the most open of the major services to providing me with information.
  • Conder101: Please post what their reply was. I really would like to know.

Cameron Kiefer
    Don't worry, if I hear from them, I'll post their answer.
    Well I got a response back from ICG and it appears that the Morgan Mint is either using stolen or counterfeit slab shells. Here is most of the ICG response:

Thank you for your e-mail. Until receiving it, I was unaware of what the
    Morgan Mint was doing. First of all, we did not certify any Silver Eagles
    for the Morgan Mint, nor have we ever certified any coin for the Morgan
    Mint.

After seeing the pictures of their certified coins, I am concerned. In the
    ad, the dealer claims the Morgan Mint says they certified the coins
    themselves. The picture indicates that their holder looks exactly like
    ours, or close enough to cause a great deal of confusion. I can not help
    but wonder where they got the holder, as we are extremely careful about
    insuring that no holders ever leave our premises. In addition, we keep
    close and accurate records of all our holders as we order, receive and use
    them.

We are in the process of speaking with our attorneys and will soon be
    contacting the Morgan Mint. I would like to talk to you on the phone
    regarding this matter. <snip>

Again, thanks for the warning.

James Taylor
    VP Customer Satisfaction

Cameron I'm sending you a PM on this subject as well.
  • OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    Hey, I've got one of those, and it says I own America's Rarest Jefferson Nickel! WOW, I must be loaded.

• GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    That one looks like ICG's Intercept Shield holder too! image
  • Thats a new one! Rarest nickel? I'd say maybe for the Jefferson series but not the Liberty series.

Cameron Kiefer
  • I too bought a Morgan mint slab, it was sold to me as an "error slab" the seller included a copy of an email from James Taylor.

part of the email states "you must have (my seller)purchased on of the few coins that snuck out before we got the restraining order"

ICG became aware of what the Morgan Mint was doing some time in May or June, 2003. Got a restraining order so they could no longer sell coins in an "ICG-Copy holder"

He further states "the holder has the exact same design as ours and were made in Asia"

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Better send them a copy of the pic of the intercept shield slab as well. That's an entirely seperate patent infringement issue that ICG will want to be aware of.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    good catch!

K S
  • ICG still has my Morgan Mint slab I sent them over a year ago to show their lawyers. I should ask and get it back.

Cameron Kiefer
  • I think you should drop Taylor an email and ask him about it. And you might want to let him know that after stopping for several months the Morgan Mint is again selling coins in ICG style shells.

Gonfunko,

That Jefferson nickel with the black ring is nothing like the ICG interceptshield holders. It is jst a foam ring that lets them put a nickel in a silver dollar holder. The Intercept shield holders have the coin in a black 2X2 looking holder.
  • OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    Wait a minute, I got more replies on this than some of my Colonial posts.image

Go fiqure.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file