Home U.S. Coin Forum

Offensiveness Threshhold Survey

A dealer calls you with a coin on your want list and offers it to you -

How ridiculous does the price have to be before you cross the threshhold from saying 'no thanks, thats a little more than I wanted to spend' to 'are you out of your frickin' mind?' and genuinely getting PO'd.

Singapore

Comments

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    If I had an idea what he paid, that would be one thing. But sometimes they buy things at prices I would consider mildly insane and you know they are just going to flip it to somebody else.

So if I'm asked to pay five large for a coin that I figured was worth three, I would probably just say "I'll pass" in case the dealer just bought it for a lot more than I would have.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Not very far from the "no thanks" to the "overpriced" but I wouldn't get PO'd unless they were insistent and obnoxious. Such as saying if I didn't take it, they wouldn't look for another coin for me. That kind of stuff.

Neil
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    It's always seemed to me that once a dealer knows you are looking for certain coins, big $$ signs flash in their heads, and they try to sell you the coin at retail +. I have my favorite ebay/regular sellers and I just keep an eye on their offerings.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i never get that offended by absurd prices. but sometimes i do ask how much they're paying for simillar

K S
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the coin. If it's an esoteric rarity, value is subjective and I would have a high threshold. Otherwise, look out!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    "eat my shorts" still works for alot of overpriced offers

K S
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'd make them an standing offer and when they decided to sell it for that price let me know.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I would only get offended if I thought they were making me a special (higher) offer because they knew I had been lookig for it a long time --Jerry
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A premuim coin command a premium price.. Are we talking 1960 washington quarters at just over melt or a 1796 quarter? there is a difference you know, Maybe something inbetween.. He may also have more than one customer for the coin and called you first not last. Did you thank the coin shop for the call. Next time a coin you need you need comes in he may call someone else first and your on the outside looking in! Maybe the coin shop is over price but some coins just are worth it. Did you even go down to look at the coin??
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Life's too short. There's no point in getting bent out of shape because they offered at a price you don't like. If it was presented to me, it would depend on how much I want the coin... first words out of my mouth are always "is that the best you can do or do we have room to negotiate?" If they say no, I may think it over for a few minutes, but then likely take a pass.

I'll watch the case and see if the coin moves... if he's sitting on it for a long time, I may go back and see if he's ready to dicker on price yet; but I never get angry or offended.
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins are 'nice to have', not 'need to have'... as such, you control your expenditures. A simple 'no thanks' will usually suffice. About twelve years ago.. I started looking at an item in a dealers inventory... it had been there a while, so I asked the price...his reply 'As marked'.. each year, for the next three years, I asked the price... 'As Marked'... the fourth year, I said.. this has been sitting in your inventory for over five years.. you have carrying costs and customers that come in perceive that your inventory does not move... What is your best price? He then gave me a price that was one third off... I countered, and walked out with the item at HALF the marked price. And I was very happy with the deal. The lesson here is, do not slam the door... you do not 'need' the item, however, the dealer 'needs' to sell, at some point. Cheers, RickO
  • mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    I don't see the point of getting PO'd. The dealer has his reasons for the asking price. Who knows? Maybe they're good ones, and by being upset at his offer, you lose out on an opportunity to buy the next coin he gets that you're looking for, at a price you'd be happy with. Nobody is obligated to make coins available to you for the amount you're willing to pay. Price too high? "No, thanks- that one's not for me." I figure that, by giving dealers the idea I'm easy to work with, my chances of being offered a shot at some of the nice stuff they get in now and then would improve. What's to be gained by getting mad?

Honestly, I think some people (this is directed at nobody in particular) are just looking for an excuse to be unhappy.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't be offended, unless it was a very pushy call. If the price sounded good, I would agree to come and look at it, if the price was too high, I would pass. If the dealer asked what I would be willing to pay, I would tell them.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file