Home U.S. Coin Forum

This is what the black first generation NGC holder looks like

Having bought and sold more than my fair share of coins I have never bought a coin in the original black NGC holder. Only heard about them. Thought some of you guys might enjoy seeing what one looked like. They sure have improved their holder since this first one.

Comments

• I like the black better.

Pennies make dollars, and dollars make slabs!

....inflation must be kicking in again this dollar says spend by Dec. 31 2004!

Erik
  • Hey, That's pretty sharp. First time I've ever saw one. image
    Glenn
  • ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    I would very much like the option with NGC of having their holders be available with the black cores. A blast white coin looks very, very good in them. For toned coins--can't beat the white, but for white coins I would love to be able to have them in an improved version of the old black holders.

Carl
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Wow, that is different. The grade is on the reverse. What were they thinking? I can see why they were changed. I have a few of the next NGC holder. The NGC logo was a gold print plastic stamp on the reverse just like the obverse on the old black holder.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Wow! For a second I thought that was my coin.Text
  • Sorry, wrong link. Let's try againText
  • This brings back fond memories.

Brian.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One can never have too many of those!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One can never have too many of those!! >>

Especially because they're so scarce image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I much prefer the black holder.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    The grade is on the reverse. What were they thinking?

Personally, I love it. I wish that were still an option. You actually see the coin first, and the grade becomes secondary. Novel concept.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. I too had only heard of the 'black beast'

Not too scary and from what I have heard, excellent candidates in many opinions for crackout.

John
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunno why the big boys don't offer different colors for holders. It's kinda like cell phones. Who would have thought that the whole market would have turned on the issue of color phones several years back (I mean the phone itself not the screen)? It seems dumb but I bet the grading services could make big bucks off this.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

The black looks good, especially with a gold coin. Thanks for showing it.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    neat holder that first black slab

i currently like the current NGC holder the best!! smaller and compact with the best hermeitcally sealed inert materials available on the market today!? or probsbly close! currently that is the best

AS ULTIMATELY

IT IS THE COIN

NOT THE HOLDER
    NOR THE GRADE OR INFORMATION PRINTED ON THE HOLDER

THAT WILL EVENTIALLY STAND THE TEST OF TIME FOR THE LONG HAUL IF THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE INTO WITH COINS

unless you got other motives like a quick slab with the right hot service with the right designations on the holder AND THEN move the coin as quick as you can to a willing yet uninformed or a clouded mind buyer

wow some of you coin sellers are really high class people!! LOL oh yes i almost forgot you are giving adults what they want to buy so that makes it okie for you with a clear conscience......LOL

sincerely michael
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>and from what I have heard, excellent candidates in many opinions for crackout >>

Don't EVEN consider it!
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The black holder is WAY nicer! The current ones with the white insert detract from viewing the coin. It's just too bright
    around the coin. They should go back to the black insert.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

The black insert is poor for dark and toned coins and brown copper coins. Otherwise it is indeed outstanding paticularly for gold coins.

Well you can almost always get a free sample black Coin World slab when you ask them for one!!!!!

Certainly cheaper than the black NGC slabs which are now much more expensive than the coins contained within. An example of buying the slab NOT the coin!!!!!!!

Someday, the original PCGS slabs will also be almost equally desired but that will take longer as PCGS had nearly two years of the early slabs versus only two months of the NGC early black slabs.
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Never have seen one before, it looks sharp. Thanks for showing.
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still looking for a coin in a black NGC holder.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file