Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Think ahead to the year 2013...Predictions, please!

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
Over the course of the next ten years, what will be the biggest change in the coin business?
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    State quarters, won't be hot anymore!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The year 2013 will be the 50th anniversary of JFK's death, so the value of Accented Hairs will be in the stratosphere.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Cents will no longer be produced. Virginia will continue to dominate both sides of the nickel. Dollar coins will still be available from USPS vending machines. Korea will be a radioactive biological chemical wasteland.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    there will be only 3 "authorized" grading services

many more small coin shops will disappear

Sundays will be a busy day at large national shows because the small dealers will be there in the spots that the big dealers vacated

I will be a high end coin dealer
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    All coins will be gone including what is in our sets (the govenment will have confiscated them all). Coin collectors will only be able to collect old expired credit cards.image
    lol

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The amount of information available to collectors will continue to explode. Somebody besides Heritage will get into the online archive business and historical sales info will become more and more accessible. It will be easier to track individual coins.

Online imaging will get better, at some point it will be possible to "rotate" a coin just like you would in person and see how light reflects off it at different angles. The infrastructure required to support this is considerable and may not be ubiquitous in ten years, but it will be a lot closer than it is today.

The grading services aren't going anywhere, there are too many collectors that demand the extra opinion, for authenticity on very rare coins if nothing else. Grading standards will continue to "evolve" (or "deteriorate" depending on your point of view), they are a constantly changing thing and will never be stable. As the services have a lot of incentive to keep pushing grades up, and little room to work with, watch for somebody to introduce decimal grading at some point. Today's 67 may become a 67.5 or 68.5. If HRH says he's never thought about this, don't believe him image

Specialization will increase, clubs will emerge to look at more and more special interests, i.e. full step Jeffs, "full torch" Roosies, or whatever. The services will continue to try and create these kinds of grading niches to garner more business (can't blame 'em for trying to make buck - this is America!). Anyone for "full beard" Lincolns? I'm sure the services sit around brainstorming these kinds of things and no doubt have a few ideas up their sleeve.

Somebody will try "fingerprinting" or "computer grading" coins again, as the technology to map 3-d objects becomes more accessible and perhaps even available to the hobbyist for a reasonable fee. I would not look for the services to ever 3-d image every coin that comes through the gates - the handling fee is just too expensive, even if the technology was free. They get what - 5 seconds a coin or something like that? However, the capacity to consistently grade a coin the exact same way, every time, is a very appealing concept, so as the technology gets cheaper someone will try it, though perhaps on a limited scale. I could envision a "combo" grade where the computer grades it & then a human modifies the grade based on "eye appeal" - this part of grading will always be subjective.

I guess none of this is really radical - just evolutions of what we already have. How does everyone else see it?

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Cert numbers will be no more, every coin will now have a laser inscribed serial number!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

<< <i>Over the course of the next ten years, what will be the biggest change in the coin business? >>

.....................new common coins in top-pop will be found in the bargan bins......a massive hoard of franklin half dollars will be found, and purchased by some large company for over 7 million dollars..kind of like the ...redfeild hoard......after a few months of incasing them like those redfeild dollars. full page adds will run in coinworld, and sold to the public.........it will be the sale of the century.....it will be known as.........the hep kitty find........and rival such collections as... binnion...redfeild...and the u.s. goverment gsa sale...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Proof silver quarter sets that are worth several times their issue price today will be worth less in 2013. I love these sets, but they are overpriced.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Classical Type , silver commemorative half dollars and Adrians assistant

will be at the top of the heap. Rarity , quality and beauty will rule.

There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few predictions:

1. 80% of all coin deals will take place on line.
    2. Grading will be far less subjective.
    3. There will be substantially fewer grading services.
    4. Counterfeiting will be a much bigger problem.
    5. World coins will account for a far larger share of the market.
    6. Vintage Franklin Mint products will be in great demand.
    7. Unimaginably vast quantities of coins will have been recovered from the ocean floor.
    8. Online coin clubs will be wildly popular.
    9. There will be far fewer coin shows.

and the biggest change of all....

#10 Karl will agree!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    6. Vintage Franklin Mint products will be in great demand.

You got to be kidding!!!!

I predict after thousands of collector's were scammed by the state quarter investment scams and Coin Vault nonsense, many will dump their coins at any price on ebay. The remaining coins which will appreciate or maintain value will be truly rare coins [i.e. less than 100 known accross all grades/services]. Pop tops will be an expression of derision as will registry sets. No one will fess up to having completed or started a registry set.

ACG will slab 50% of all coins........just kidding.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Mr Eureka, I can agree with the first nine point, but number ten is just too bizzare.

It is fraught with effects that could disrupt the very fabric of time and space itself.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Lucybop becomes so crazied with Franklins, she gets a body tatoo of Ben Franklin. Russ runs for the Presidency with the slogin " A Accented Hair in every pocket " . Airplanenut gives everyone a free ride in his jet to major coin shows because it`s cool. Madmarty monopolizes the market with Mr. PotatoHead banks that holds only nickels.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>..............new common coins in top-pop will be found in the bargan bins...... >>

After 40 years of being nearly completely ignored it seems highly unlikely the "new
    common coins" will run their course in a ten year period. It's also difficult to believe
    that collectors will suddenly decide that "new common coins" are suddenly uncollect-
    ible. And, of course, they would almost have to come to this conclusion if even the
    "pop tops" have a nominal value. Perhaps I'm reading too much into the statement,
    but it doesn't apply to any of the moderns I'm familiar with, unless something becomes
    common in the highest grades.

In any case in ten years it's likely that most of the current trends will still be going
    fairly strong. The economy will start getting very strong in the mid 00's and inflation
    will start picking up strongly toward the end of the decade. This will drive prices of
    many coins higher still. The states quarters will suffer some loss in 2009 or so, but
    the magnitude of this loss is far more dependent on what happens in the future than
    what has already transpired. Moderns will have taken a hit at about the same time,
    but to a lesser degree. They should recover more quickly. 2013 will be near the peak
    of the market, but prices are likely to slow or stop their advances and become more dif-
    ficult to sell rather than take significant hits. A few selected series (mostly classics) may
    actually continue to drift up.

Watch the major trends. Any turn in these could cause a dramatically different situation.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Clankeye will have wrote several books and have a movie deal for Mrs. Coinboard that will rival the Harry Potter Series and will make all coin collector's seem cool. image

Pennies make dollars, and dollars make slabs!

....inflation must be kicking in again this dollar says spend by Dec. 31 2004!

Erik
  • Options
    VonZipper: You had me going there for a second.image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    1-massive deflation and cent will be worth much more than now,
    2-coins will be worth less than now but because of deflation will be worth a lot more in real dollars,
    3-online will be 105% of the entire coin market,
    4-grading services still around but will start slabbing many new things,
    5-federal control of grading services will begin in 2005 as a revenue raiser for the feds,
    6-ana and ans will merge then go bankrupt,
    7-us will become a second rate power economically and oil will no longer be paid for with usdollars but eurodollars,
    8-us unemployment will hit 15% to 20% hence #1, many coin dealers and collectors looking for work,
    9-salvaging for old coins with metal detectors will become #1 growing aspect of the hobby,
    10-much more......
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I'LL BE TEN YEARS OLDER!!!! imageimageimageimage
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Lucy, you are always as young as you feel. I have only been part of this message board for just over a month. You have always made it warm and cool. Its your personality and wit. image
    Glenn
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    2013. FBI closes in on a home in a posh suburb to crack down on a coin counterfeiting operation that proves to have duped collectors for years to the tune of about 485 million dollars over about a 30 year period.

• Options
    1) Possibly if the hobby continues to grow, major dealers will start merging in order to do business more efficiently. How about a franchise of coin shops all owned by the same giant coin company?

2) Possibly demand will be such that many universities will offer master’s and Ph.D. degrees in numismatics.
  • Options
    imageimage
    Glenn
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    President Hillary (It takes a village to dip a coin) Clinton will buy a "grab bag" of coins from a dealer who wishes to become ambassador to Monaco and she will find a Brasher doubloon in it.
  • Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Bill Gates will begin coin collecting and buy and hoard every available classic coin on the market, thus forcing Laura Sperba to sell mainly moderns.

The "12 million dollar inventory company", will have long gone under image

PCGS and NGC will merge, forming PNGS. They will provide a universal holder, accepted at both registries.

PNGS will have graded, 8,704 1963 PR70RD DCAM Lincolns.
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I can't tell you. I'm keeping it to myself so I can get even more rich!!!!!image
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    The Myan calender stops at 2012 so i can't make plans for my coins in 2013image

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such a good thread to dredge up, as it's almost 2013!

Mr. Eureka was spot on as far as the Franklin Mint stuff, in that most of it is at least silver, and silver has done well since 2003.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    I'll be near a 100 posts.
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe I read halfway through this thread before I noticed it was 9 years old.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Such a good thread to dredge up, as it's almost 2013!

Mr. Eureka was spot on as far as the Franklin Mint stuff, in that most of it is at least silver, and silver has done well since 2003. >>

He does seem to have it as well as anyone else (and was more specific). Some
    of the FM world coins are smoking hot now days. A lot of world coins are hot now.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Silver Eagle Program will be Over! The 2009 Bicentennial series (cent) will finally get the recognition! I hope russ is correct on his prediction, about the Accent Hair Kennedies.image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file