Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Start saving your money - look what's coming up for sale!

Here's today's newsflash hot off the presses from the NBS (books) email newsletter:

P. Scott Rubin writes: "This is good news and bad news.  The good news is that starting as early as later this year the entire collection of John J. Ford, Jr. is coming up for sale by Stack's and yes the library will be sold by Stack's and George Kolbe.  While it will take some time before the full impact of what is in this collection to be announced, it is my understanding that if you collect colonial coins or paper, U.S. Paper, numismatic literature, medals, or pioneer gold you will not want to miss this sale.  This may well be the Bushnell or Parmelee sale of the 21st century.  The bad news is that this looks like the end of the John Ford era in U.S. numismatics. John has been a good friend to NBS and we hope he will be around for some time.  But just the thought that he is parting with his collection is hard to take, even though I will look forward to the catalogues and the chance to own an item or two from John's library or collection.  Look for more information on the sales in the numismatic press."

Comments

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    DUDE!!! i'm chomping at the bit already!!! lemme at 'em!!!

K S
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good opportunity to buy a REAL Confederate half dollar?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    I wonder if they'll find Don Taxay's corpse in his basement? I never believed that India thing ...
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if they'll find Don Taxay's corpse in his basement? I never believed that India thing ... >>

Better yet I wonder just how Michael will catalogue it!
  • Options
    What is this about Taxay and Ford? India?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Tell him to wait!!! I can't afford the $20 Kellogg yet!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder if they'll find Don Taxay's corpse in his basement? I never believed that India thing ... >>

Better yet I wonder just how Michael will catalogue it! >>

(fl. 1963-1974) Corpse, apparently that of Donald Taxay. N-unlisted, B-unlisted, S-unlisted. Nearly Very Fine, heavily decomposed in places, sharpness significantly finer elsewhere. 112.6 pounds, the lightest weight specimen we have recorded in our extensive database of corpses of missing numismatists. Pale gray tone over most surfaces, fairly even but tending to deeper gray at peripheries. Obverse slightly finer than reverse overall.

Research has failed to reveal the precise disposition of Taxay's days after he departed Philadelphia in 1974, though rumors of his disappearance to the Indian sub-continent were given some credence by his near-contemporaries. While it cannot be stated with certainty that this is not the corpse of Paul Franklin, the presence of horn-rimmed glasses and a FCI Colonial Coin Investment Club brochure would tend to confirm the Taxay attribution. Shipping to be paid by the winning bidder, via parcel post.
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    AT! AT!

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Any early commems. in this sale-------maybe there are some in the dead guys pockets?----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    is it true that the jules reiver collection may be on the market soon?

K S
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FredSanford: Your quote:

<< <i>..........FCI Colonial Coin Investment Club brochure ............. >>

Is somehow Stanley Kaulelbaum (sic) of First CoinVestors involved in all of this from Long Island?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which Territorial Gold pieces are in Ford's collection now?
  • Options

<< <i>Which Territorial Gold pieces are in Ford's collection now? >>

Sometime in the next 2-3 years you'll have the opportunity to find out.
  • Options
    mrdq----- thanks for the link for new collectors!!!!!! Good stuff.
    "Today is the youngest you will ever be"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file