Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this Barber Quarter a fake?

We find a lot of fake coins when we metal detect. A guy dug this today ... looks fake to me but I am no expert.

Comments

• Options
    Thats what I thought .. he says it has a 1908 on the back
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    Why would somebody lose a counterfeit coin... imageimage?

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, what a peculiar coin. The coin looks just like a circulated quarter would minus the date at the bottom. Could be a counterfeit, but who goes to the trouble to create such a close replica that isn't useful to pawn off on the unsuspecting?

Can you get a reverse scan?

Tyler
  • Options

<< <i>

Can you get a reverse scan?

Tyler >>

Im trying to get one ... like I said above .. we find a lot of fake coins, usually they are older than this one ... I am wondering if its not a token... a lot of the tokens we find resemble coins on the obverse and are different on the back.
  • Options
    I have to say that it looks dead on like an original coin. Is it made of silver? Have you gently clinked it against other silver coins to hear the metalic ping? It really looks like an original coin that has been altered.

Tyler
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShanerUT - Throw it up on eBay so Tyler and I can battle it out image

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    lol ... I wish it was mine..

He said he would have a pic posted in about a half hour
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Count me in for the battle!! image
  • Options
    Yes - Maybe you would want to sell it. However Ebay is no place for such a coin. Dave just emailed me and said that he is going to focus on his true love...Susan B anthony's in the lofty MS60 grade range, and that he really wouldn't have much interest. Guess that just leaves me! imageimage

Tyler

Oh.. I forgot, and Tom (Casey) recently confessed that his parole officer is sending him back to the pen. for another six months to finish out his sentence for public lewdness and general drunkenness.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lies! All lies! Lofty MS60 grade? That's the BOTTOM of the Susan B range nice they never circulated worth a damn!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    ummm .. I got the pic of the reverse and ... well .. ummmm
    I'VE BEEN HAD image ... the butthead got us all ... its not quite midnight here but it is where he lives so one of the newbies was playing a joke on us all at the other forum imageimage .. lol ... sorry guys
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Very funny! I was expecting to get taken by my kids tomorrow, but not by this forum! image I could have bid from the pen!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file