Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What are the attributes of a great coin collector?

SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
After being a member of these boards, it has had a change about how I feel about coin collecting. There are so many new directions for what a collector is all about...I believe this is for the better. So many personalities, which can be exhibited through their collections. It 's a great hobby that is constantly reinventing itself with every new wave of collectors.

What makes a great coin collector....its it someone who completes a coin collection, like Louis Eliasberg? But then again, didn't he aquire 99% of his collection from the Clapp estate(via Stack's) with one single swoop of the pen and checkbook? Was it really a seek and find one by one collection for him? He had all the money in the world. What about John Jay Pittman, the greatest coin collector I'VE ever met. Built an amazing collection one coin at a time with little means in terms of money, like Eliasberg.

I've noticed a few times(not many)that when a confrontation starts sometimes someone will ask "Well how LONG have you collected, and whats in YOUR collection?" Does this really matter? Let's say I love proof gold, I've read both of Breen's books, Aker's book, studied every major collection of proof gold formed this century, could recite finest knowns, pop reports etc, and most importantly have viewed hundreds of coins via major shows, auctions. But if someone were to ask me that question, No, I haven't collected proof gold for years and No, I don't have any coins......you get the point. Does my passion dictate that I'm not a great collector because I'm not a collector....therefore I would have nothing to offer.

Does a numismatist collect or do they have merely an interest?

You see generous people that run the Young Numismatist programs at coin shows year after year....spreading the word on what a great hobby we have, educating people. Are these these the top people in our hobby? They certainly had a great influence on me, I attended ever YN gathering that I could convince my father to drive me to. I loved it, met some great people. At 15, the ANA paid my way to go to the summer seminar.......what could be better for any coin collecting teenager? Thanks to the folks that help the YN's.

I know that there are a number of fine dealers and old time hobbyist with a ton of experience who are forum members working with great collectors.....whats your opinion?
Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• Options
    What beats out most of those( having a huge collection, being rich, having famous or rare coins) is integrity of the collector.
    Justin.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    No a numismatist doesn't always collect, and just because someone has been collecting a long time or has a fabulous collection they aren't automaticly a "great" collector. As you pointed out all it takes to build a great collection is money. If you had the money, you could hire someone to build that great collection for you and then lock it away in a vault. That would hardly make you a great collector. On the other hand, someone who takes the time to personally build a modest collection and then shares it with others through exhibits, talks, etc and uses it to expose others old and young to the delights of coin collecting is a Great Collector.

As you have said you love proof gold and you have studied it intently but you don't have any coins. You are not a collector. But you are probably a numismatist. You know more about the field than most collectors and probably many dealers. You have the potential to become a teacher or a scholor in the field. You could possibly write articles on the subject. With more time and effort you will possibly make new discoveries as well. A Great Numismatist like a Great Collector shares his knowledge with others and teaches or writes.

Being a collector is eazy, all it takes is money whether a little or a lot. Being a Great Collector is harder because it takes time and effort given to others.

Being a numismatist is not easy. It takes a good deal of time, study and "skull sweat". Being a Great Numismatist is much harder because it take so much more time and effort.

What is truly wonderful is when you have someone who is both a Great Collector and a Great Numismatist. But these are rare. Offhand I can't think of one, but Pitman came close. He was a Great Collector and a numismatist. John Ford is a close possibility as was Walter Breen.

So don't run yourself down for not being a collector, collectors are a dime a dozen. You've chosen the difficult path. It's rewards are different, but definitely worthwhile.
  • Options
    Integrity, honesty, and a passion for the areas they collect.

Also...in my little pea sized mind...true collectors don't try to haggle every last penny out of a purchase, and don't try to squeeze every farthing of profit out of a sale. They want to help out their favorite dealers and fellow collectors...
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not important how long you've collected or what you've collected. Of least importance
    is the value of your collection. What makes someone a great numismatist is the sum total
    of what he's learned. His ability to impart this to others or at least to print is to some degree
    the measure of the accomplishment, but of prime importance is what was learned.

Most all collectors are highly individualistic, but this is often more pronounced in the great
    collectors. Many have used their knowledge to assemble collections which others would
    have found impossible even with far more resources. Most have either written extensively
    or formed impressive collections. What makes the great ones is their ability to define com-
    pleteness; their ability to blaze new trails right in the heart of a metropolis or deep in the
    jungle.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great collector has an innate or learned ability to identify quality coins and to find them available for sale.

Tyler
  • Options
    CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    i think one of the things that make a person a great coin collector is someone who freely shares the knowledge they have gained without asking for anything in return.image
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Someone who really learns and becomes knowledgeable about what their collecting.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The difference between a good collector and a great collector is that the great collector develops through hard work a greater appreciation and knowledge of his field than any before him.

What are the implications? It is virtually impossible for a new collector to become a great collector in well charted territories. If I wanted to be a great collector, I wouldn't touch large cents with a ten foot pole, nor would I have an interest in collecting Morgan dollars by date. Both fields have been studied to death. On the other hand, if greatness was my goal, you might find me collecting 19th century contemporary counterfeits, VAM dollars or St. Patrick farthings by die variety.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Being able to look past the coin and see the history of the slab and how rare it is, even when everyone laughs at you as you buy the slab.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    I reformulated the question as follows: What are the attributes of a coin collector that I should meet and learn from, and maybe even consider as a mentor?

(.....in order of importance...)

A good communicator, which implies a high level of intellegence, among other things.

A broad base of numismatic knowledge with additional areas of specific expertise.

Generous with his time, which implies that he has time to devote to numismatics and that he is willing to share his time with others.

Good connections and relationships with dealers and collectors.

Patience.

adrian

(PS - I think that a person with moderate means can become a great collector. A great collector learns AND shares his knowledge. There is no limit to what you can learn....there are libraries, the internet, communications with others and the ANA library which loans books out to people without charge. Secondly, if you take your time and choose an area which you think you will enjoy collecting, you can embark upon a life long goal and probably accomplish quite a collection. Obviously, your means will guide your goals. Someone with moderate means can write and publish books which, coupled with a collection of moderate means, can qualify that person as a great collector. Finally, how good can a great collector be if he doesn't share what he knows?)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file