Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ever had a coin slabbed backwards?

Have you ever had a coin slabbed backwards? I just received my latest submissions and had a 1936 Delaware half dollar slabbed backwards. Does PCGS correct this problem free of charge? Happy coin collecting, BBC...

Comments

• Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    I've heard of this on the boards before and I think it was commem coins... I think they were quoted as saying something like "the date is the obverse" So it's slabbed accordingly. Someone last summer was begging and pleading for them to slab a nicely toned reverse as the front side of the slab and they steadfastly refused because "the date shows the obverse"

Where is the date on your coin?

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    It's my understanding that they'll place whichever side you wish facing forward. And I think having the coin reholdered is something like $5.00 but I could be wrong.

I did have a commem with the date side beautifully toned but for some reason the white side was facing forward. After selling it, the new owner had it reversed. On some of those commems it's tricky to know which side is which.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    When coins are processed off of an assembly line, mistakes like this will happen. Other mistakes include grading the same coin 5 different times with grades ranging from MS-63 to MS-65. Occassionally, a coin will be slabbed as good 3 or 4 times, then on the 5th time it will be body bagged. Also, the grading robots miss things like mint marks or counterfeits. Then, sometimes, coins are actually slabbed backwards. That's just a part of the "slabbing game". Say "NO" to assembly line grading!!
  • Options
    mrdq,
    The date is where it should be, on the obverse. No date is on the reverse. Just slabbed backwards.
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    PCGS slabs reverse forward on some series

as does ICG

and even PCI

but ANACS had to mess everything up and put date side (obverse) forward image
  • Options
    I know this coin was improperly slabbed because all of the other 1992 White House coins are slabbed showing the White House and the date on the front. My White House and the date on facing the back now.
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    How about upside down obverses. Have one of those.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    PCGS will slab a coin reverse-side up if you request; I had a MS-64 1954 S/D Jeff slabbed with reverse up ...
  • Options
    Someone last summer was begging and pleading for them to slab a nicely toned reverse as the front side of the slab and they steadfastly refused because "the date shows the obverse"

That use to be their policy but they have been slabbing coins reverse side out for at least the past 18 months. I own three and have seen many others.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't PCGS and NGC once have a disagreement over what was the obverse and reverse of the Albany commemorative half dollar? I seem to remember examples of where one company had the hand shake on top and the other had the beaver in front.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I had a set of 1999 state quarters with Washington facing forward in the slab. Now PCGS puts the reverse facing forwards to highlight the state.
  • Options
    All of my Oregon commem's are slabbed with the reverse facing forward both in PCGS and NGC holders. image
    Go well.
  • Options
    No...............Ken
  • Options
    Just thought I'd revive my old post.
    I have still not found anyone who this has happened to (but me).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file