Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

should pcgs designate pl and dmpl for all federal coin series? like NGC just started doing?

i see ngc is going to now designate all business strike federal coinage as pl and dmpl if the coins surfaces so warrent it!

i like it as now it will stimulate demand and prices and submissions

a win win for all??

should pcgs offer this i think so!!!!!!! as long as the coin is all there

i am sure there will not be many in certian series but i think there will be many pl coins in the business striek barber series and some in the trade dollars for pl and maybe some a few dmpl trades

ngc has always done the pl early commems

do you think there are any dmpl commems early commems?
any thoughts?

sincerely michael

Comments

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    lotd and lots of pl gold coins also!!!!!!!!!!
    waht do you think??

sincerely michael
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    I think it's a great idea but the odds that PCGS would actually put meaningful designations on a coin is slim to none. they seem to care more about small parts of a coin (like the torch of roosies) If a coin is PL thats a good sign that the coin is an EDS which is rarer and should command more money.
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    I, personally, think they're misusing the designation. Mirrored surfaces, brilliant, but PL? Ya, there are brilliant proofs, but to be proof-like I always thought some frost on the devices was required. Muddies the meaning of the designation IMO.

• Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Can't see any reason why this hasn't been done previously, although with the earlier series coinage, the collectors of this stuff don't seem to be so enamored with designations. Maybe things-a-changin? image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    i think so bigd5!!

sincerely michael
  • Options
    Should they start designating all coins as PL if they deserve it?

I’d say that makes sense only if there’s a big difference in value between a PL coin versus a non PL coin of the same grade. Is that the case with commemoratives or any other coin besides Morgan dollars? I don’t know. Of course the fact that PCGS is making the distinction might cause there to be a greater demand for the PL designation (and a greater price difference).

The way I see it, the grading services’ decisions have an affect on the coin market and on collectors perceptions of what’s desirable.
  • Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    I think that PCGS should designate these coins. Will they?????, I have asked in the past and and indications are a firm NO!

keoj
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a coin is PL thats a good sign that the coin is an EDS which is rarer and should command more money.

I think this may be incorrect...

A proof-like aspect to a coin is imparted from dies that have been recently polished. Back then, as with Trades, Seated and earlier, they would polish a die on occasion in the middle of its lifecycle. The best way to tell if a die is EDS is to see if it has retained all its detail and is also without any signs of die failure.

I have seen specimens that are PL in aspect, but clearly also exhibit signs of die usage.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    but to be proof-like I always thought some frost on the devices was required.

I think this is the definition of "cameo". A mirrored field surrounding frosty devices gives the greatest cameo contrast because the light reflecting off the different surface types go in different directions. And, in this case, the difference in the nature of the reflection is most pronounced as to achieve a cameo effect.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    very verey VERY astute observations evp i guess it could go wither way but mostly pl coins are most later die states

but as with coins you have to look at a coin

if you get a pl or dmpl coin that is an eds and also cameoed then you gots A REALLY RARE!!!! EXCEPTIONALLY BEAUTIFUL COIN IF THE EYE APPEAL IS THERE AND NOT INCUMBERED BY MARKS NICKS AND OTHER QUALIFIERS

or disqualifiers as the case may be.......lol

sincerely michael
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I think this is a great idea. With some coins though, it is harder to tell if the coin is a DMPL business strike or a true proof. Will some proof coins be labeled as DMPL?
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Its my feeling that within the next 12 months, many positive changes in grading by PCGS will be

implemented. Some may be on an experimental basis, but they should lead to a more

enjoyable appreciation of the hobby. Will they prove more profitable to PCGS, sure, but

so what . If the changes are beneficial to the collecter, then bring change on. One change would

be a PQ designation. PCGS has two choices, either go for eye appeal alone or select coins that

are in the highest range for the grade meaning the tweeners that also have great eye appeal.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Merc:

They do exist. I have a trade dollar (and I've seen a couple of more) that fully DMPL but are a "S" mint. Definitively not a proof.

I have also seen a couple of Trade Dollars (1876's were notorious for this) where I think that they were business strikes but labeled as Proofs in NGC and PCGS holders. They can be VERY hard to distinguish.

keoj
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A proof-like designation is only worth a premium if the particular designated coin is indeed scarce in a proof-like state. I'd say that a Capped Bust Half that is proof-like is worth a premium, but this is already built into its price.

OTOH, most late dated Unc. Seated coinage (1879-91) is proof-like and knowledgeable people won't pay a premium for these coins.

I realize that making add'l designations re coins is a source of revenue for the grading companies. However, whether or not such designations are made on a coin's holder, the market will decide if in fact these designations are worth a premium.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    No

This thread is 19 YEARS OLD.
    In case you haven't noticed, PCGS does designate PL on coins other than Morgans. Why would this possibly be a bad thing?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2022 2:00AM

@ChrisH821 said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    No

This thread is 19 YEARS OLD.
    In case you haven't noticed, PCGS does designate PL on coins other than Morgans. Why would this possibly be a bad thing?

Here's the July 2, 2019 announcement:

Now, all qualifying mint state U.S. and world coins, tokens and medals can be PCGS-certified as PL

One good thing about keeping these threads open, is that they can be updated so even a 2003 thread can be updated with info from a 2019 press release!

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve often wondered why pcgs does not use the “deep proof like” designation on all coins that warrant it? NGC uses the designation, and it adds a lot of value to the coins that receive it. This has always frustrated me

• Options
    YoloBagelsYoloBagels Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

@1madman said:
    I’ve often wondered why pcgs does not use the “deep proof like” designation on all coins that warrant it? NGC uses the designation, and it adds a lot of value to the coins that receive it. This has always frustrated me

They literally do....

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strip club closed on holidays.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YoloBagels said:

@1madman said:

They literally do....

Can you provide proof? I’m not talking about Morgan dollars, I’m referring to all other coins. DPL surfaces exist on many different coins and NGC acknowledges it, and I’ve never seen pcgs do it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file